1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cheap and easy center console light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by moserjjx, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    moserjjx

moserjjx [OP] Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    I know this isn't a very sexy mod but it's very cheap and very easy. I needed a light in my center console and found this $2 light at my local harbor freight store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98343

Takes 3 batteries and I just stuck it to the driver side of my console. Mine was silver in color and isn't very noticeable like the blue one in the website picture. I can open the console and touch the light (push on the bulb to turn on/off) without looking at it.

It's 5 degrees and snowing here, in the spring i'll probably do a more permanent mounted light along with 12V outlets and ipod connector in there. but for now, $2 mod it is! I don't have a camera but i'll try and take a picture of it cuz i know i like mod pics :)

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    hey, well its cool that you found something that works.

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
  4. Dec 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    those lights are pretty cool. i ahve 3 round led's, similar to that in my toolbox.

5. Dec 10, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did a similiar thing with a head lamp with a broken strap. Mine had regular and red LED's in it.

6. Dec 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    Their stuff is hit or miss. ive bought work gloves, ear protection, a set of lug nug sockets (not bad actually). Then I bought a bolt and stud remover kit. The actual bolt removers are well made. The bit that holds them is shit. I broke it as soon as I used it. luckily you dont need the it to use them, they are all 1/4 hex.

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    crawfishsoul

crawfishsoul Look at my member

Member:
    Removed front mud flaps.
    Good idea. Thanks OP. I heard a Harbor Freight opened up here in teh PHX. I know where I'm going for lunch!

8. Dec 11, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    Harbor Freight stuff is cheap, both money wise and quality. I used to work for a automation company. We ran into a problem that some clamps we designed for a vacuum chamber weren't putting out enough torque to properly close the vessel. We found some harbor freight torque converters for $30 a piece. The next cheapest torque converter we could find for this job was close $2000. This was a gross misuse of the product, but saved our company over 30k. Needless to say, if the torque converter wasn't aligned perfectly they would crack pretty quickly. 3 or 4 of them broke. But still well worth the money to replace them with new Harbor Freight converters.

Moral is, I recommend Harbor Freight for times when all you want to do is just save money.:D

To Top