1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap/Free Mods

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by piercedtiger, Dec 28, 2007.

1. May 24, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger [OP] Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Updated the Locker Anytime mod (#3) after Jason'sLawnCare mentioned there was a problem if you bought a different relay. With help from db67fm we have a wire color code for the other relay (Radioshack stocks 2 version of the DPDT relay: a 125VAC one and a 12VDC one. Apparently I used the 125VAC one, Jason and db used the 12VDC one).

So now the write has both wire diagrams, both part numbers and both Radioshack links.

2. May 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I had problems with this mod this weekend. One bulb cracked when I was cutting the wires. I was able to cut the other one and installed it, but it burned out about 10 minutes later. I only used it a few times to test it.

Do yours still work well?

3. May 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Thank God I'm sitting at a solid oak desk, but knock on wood...Yes they do.
    I've used them a lot more than I originally thought I would. Hooking up trailers, Checking trailer tires/cargo while cruising down highway (I have a second switch to allow this), lighting up the machine shed looking for things, plus general backup use, etc.
    Varying times between 30 Sec to 10 Minutes.
    I'm really drawing a blank as to why their not lasting. I'm sure your already did this, but it's the only thing I can think of: Use rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth to clean the glass just after installing in socket to remove excess oils.
    Another hint: You can find 50w bulbs without the plastic housing in the lighting section of your local Home of Economy type store. Their used in 12v lighting fixtures. I also cracked one cutting the housing off and went this route instead. And it was 100 cents cheaper!

4. May 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    You should make sure to wear some latex gloves next time you are handling them and wipe them off really well before you install them.

Oil residue from fingers may be the culprit. I know with the 500W halogen bulbs, this is the definite cause of most premature failures, but it might also be the cause for you.

5. May 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    This Is a springnut:
    [​IMG]
    It is designed to be installed into unistrut (an 1 5/8" rail similar to the one on the back of our trucks)

Because the springnut is slightly larger than the rail on our trucks, It does not fit, except where the rail is bolted to the box. (as shown in photo)
    [​IMG]

The springnut can be modified to fit anywhere with some minor grinding, you need to be careful to keep close to the same shape, as the rounded corner allows you to simply insert the springnut where you want it, then turn it in place, if the nut was square, it would have to be inserted in one end and slid to where you want it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The spring should also be shortened, to make it easier to insert into the rail.
    [​IMG]
    It took me about 15 min with a bench grinder to make 2, so it is a fairly quick process to make them. Springnuts sell for anywhere from 75cents to a two bucks, you can also get stainless ones. The holes on them come in a range of sizes from 1/4" to 3/4" and they can be purchased at most electrical suppliers, or parts warehouses. they are made by T&B, Unistrut, and Hilti. Here is a link to buy them, and to give an idea of price
    http://www.supertruevalue.com/thomas-betts-za100-1-4-5pk-1-4--20-spring-nut.html

Pyrotechnika likes this.
  6. May 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure offhand. I just used a small quick splice I had on hand.

7. May 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I'd say just go with the smaller one. Again, I have no idea what gauge it is and I don't have a way to measure mine. I don't pay much attention to exact gauge sizes.

8. May 31, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the chime that is made when you have to door open with the key in the ignition? I was to turn it off somehow so I can listen to my music outside my car without having to hear the annoying chime.

I searched but didn't seem to find anything so I apologize if this has already been covered.

9. May 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Turn the key to ON. The chime goes away after a few seconds. Just make sure to turn the fan and lights off to help save your battery. Dome light auto shuts off too I think. After maybe half a hour? Seems like it did it to me once or twice and I had to close then open the doors again to get it to come back on.

10. May 31, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    Ah ok. I see how it works now. Thanks for the help!!

11. May 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4

if you want your light off you could use the switch on the dome light to shut it off and not have to wait :p

12. May 31, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    which is why I said to turn off the fan and lights.... :confused: Turn the dome light off with the rest of the lights, or if you forget it auto shuts off.

13. Jun 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4

My bad...I thought you ment the headlights... Since you spoke about the dome light auto shutting off after that :D

14. Jun 2, 2009 at 4:27 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I figured if it auto shuts off one doesn't really need to worry about it. It won't drain the battery like leaving the headlights or fog lights on. It will if you leave it on over night, but the auto shut off would prevent that. But it is still a light you can turn off if concerned about it.

And personally, I hate when my wife fucks with the switch as she never turns it back on so they lights don't come on when I open a door at night. So I have a general rule in my truck to not touch the switch.

15. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    navyrt

navyrt ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    I've looked through several pages of this thread and haven't seen any photos of the switch, and how the leds where hooked up. Can some help me out?? Please.

TacoLou likes this.
  16. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
  17. Jun 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Mon Leb

Mon Leb Tacoma's Quest!

Member:
    St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09' 4X4 SR5-TRD Sport, Leather, BackUp camera
    Chromed Bull-Bar Westin. Sport pedals. Round side steps bars. Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip 4WD Switch Light Mod Door Sill Protectors
    you have no idea what that mod means to me. Thanks a bunch!

18. Jun 6, 2009 at 3:07 AM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    That's awesome, as an electrician, I have access to as many of these as I like. I was considering actually removing my bed rails and installing unistrut for this exact purpose, but maybe I'll just grind a few of these suckers down...

19. Jun 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    peleus21

peleus21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    okanogan, b.c. canada
    Vehicle:
    red trd sport
    led taillights HID dual beam headlights bolts and clamps to handle off road
    i bought a battery for my truck but it was too short to fit the bracket. i tried a chunk of 3/4 inch ply wood first but the stock clamp slides out if you tighten it too much.also i use my truck to get to the bush as a logger and the battery slides all over. so here is my solution.

i went to toyota and bought a new clamp bolt. same as the adjuster bolt.

clamp.jpg

i took it and put it in my vice, cut it back, heated it up with a butane torch, then bent it into a "J" i also bent the stock one into a "J" as well so now they lock into the holes better.

clamp2.jpg

i then took the stock one that is pressed on and bent it back and forth till it broke then hammered it till it came off. then ya just gotta get a washer and a nut, and reinstall bracket.
    battery.jpg

there now it will fit any battery securely and looks stock

MOD TIME: 30 minutes PARTS: 7 dollars i think?

20. Jun 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    peleus21

peleus21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    okanogan, b.c. canada
    Vehicle:
    red trd sport
    led taillights HID dual beam headlights bolts and clamps to handle off road
    this is actually a real simple mod. no money and about 10 minutes to do the simple way.

First of all i suggest you get some aftermarket lights like mine in the pic.

headlightoff.jpg

the stock bulbs will burn up to quick on you otherwise and may even damage your headlight housing.

SIMPLE WAY
    open the fuse box under hood and pull out the dim switch relay. solder the following prongs together with a piece of wire. or wedge a wire in the prong slots.

relay.jpg

headlights.jpg

result (i did the fog light mod too)

headlighton.jpg

to do the mod the hard way pull the fuse box apart like you do in the fod light mod hard way and connect the 2 terminals together on the inside. this is the way i did it but my camera was recharging and i am not pullin the thing apart for a pic to involved.

HemlockFlyCo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top