1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fbconvert, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Nice pictures! Thanks for posting a lot of them too. What size drill did you use to make the hole for the input jack?

The mod was not that bad though was it? Even if you have never soldered before I don't think you would have too much trouble with it. I m just wondering if a lot of people reading this are intimidated by it because some of the pictures make it look a little advance/technical for the average joe.

Edit:
    That looks like a better place to solder it too.

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings

The drill bit was 1/4". The hardest part is remembering where the screws go, which on mine they were mostly the same screws. Either that or reading the silk screening on the boards.

3. Jun 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Packguy2

Packguy2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Holly Springs, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner DC LB Sport
    Has anyone else done this mod? I'd like to do it but I'm curious if it holds up long term and if there are any problems like shorting out, etc..

4. Jun 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Shorting out, if your referring to the two audio sources being on the same line, is very slim. Audio signals are very low voltage.

The only risk of shorting is if you use gobs of solder or don't solder a wire well enough.

5. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    As long as you are not completely negligent, you really can't go
    wrong. You are only soldering two wires so it is unlikely that you can
    over heat the board. Further more, you are not soldering a chip, or
    anything similar, that could be sensitive to heat. I found this short
    video on youtube that has some really good clips of how soldering works.
    It talks about good technique and how to apply the heat, etc too. Don't
    get caught up on all the hardware he goes over though. For example I use a
    really cheap, single size tip, pin soldering iron which I purchased
    from harbor freight for less than $5. Sandpaper works for
    cleaning the tip and some small standard flux core solder wire works
    great too. I hope this helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4?version=3

6. Jun 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Packguy2

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Holly Springs, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner DC LB Sport
    I have leftover wire from a set of foglights I bought. I don't know what gauge the wire is but does it need to be as thick as what's shown in the OP's post? Is there a minimum gauge to use?

7. Jun 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Your fog light wires are going to be over kill. If you are looking for scrap wire I might suggest an old set of headphones.

You could also use an aux cable like this:

[​IMG]

You will need one of these to plug in your device anyways, just buy two. Then cut off the ends of one cable and all your wires (left, right and ground) are there enclosed in one clean looking cable.

You could also just cut one end off and rout the other end (unmodified) to your glove box (or where ever). This would eliminate the need for a input jack mount all together. Instead of a female end that you mount to your dash or whatever you just have the male end routed to your glove box or center console and then plug your MP3 device directly to that.

Let me know if any bit of this is confusing you.

8. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    Packguy2

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Holly Springs, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner DC LB Sport
    I have an aux cable like that and I think I'll go the route of cutting one end off. I'm assuming the three wires inside are individually coated in their own rubber housing?

9. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Cool stuff here........

10. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I wanted to do this since I got my Tacoma! Thank you to both of you that have write ups here!!! :cheers::woot:

11. Jun 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    The left and right are, typically the ground is bare wire and is some times wrapped around the other individually insulated wires. If you go the rout of only cutting one end make sure to get some pictures of that as well and post them here.

I am considering re-doing mine by putting a female input on the back of the head unit. Then cutting one end of a aux cable off and wiring a second female input to that end (which will mount where I currently have it in the stock 09 dash I have). Then I will plug the end of the aux cable that I did not cut into the female input on the back of the head unit. The reason for this is so when I remove the head unit for whatever reason I can just unplug the aux cable from the back.

I know what you mean, it bugged the hell out of me that they didn't have a aux input in these stock head units.

My only hope now is that this mod will get enough attention that someone smarter than I will be inspired to figure out how to select the CD source without a CD in the player. It seams like a simple short would do it, but it would be a little western even for me to just start guessing on where I need to make that short... The only reason I was successful with this mod is because the circuit board clearly labels the left and right channel.

12. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    If you strip down an aux cable, how will you know left from right to solder properly?

13. Jun 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Check out this diagram from this wiki page here.

[​IMG]

My only suggestion is to stick your ohmmeter and test which end corresponds to the diagram above.

Or you could just guess... as long as you are not playing some first person shooter where 3D sound is actually important it really doesn't matter IMO. But I am not a stereo buff so I might get flamed for that comment.

Here is how I see it: if the left and right channel was reversed you will still be able to balance your speakers from the head unit since that wiring is not reversed. The audio coming out of the aux left and right is basically the same. Some song have different audio coming from left or right but like I said before, unless you are watching a movie or something where left or right audio channels actually correspond to something happening on the left or right respectively, there really is no reason to care.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but chances are if you are watching a movie in your truck you already have an after market head unit with an aux input. Unless you are like me and you watch netflix on your iphone in your truck while your wife is driving :D.

14. Jun 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    Packguy2

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Holly Springs, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner DC LB Sport
    made the cut. one white, one red, and one exposed

photo.jpg

15. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    do you have an ohmmeter? can you do a continuity test with your ohmmeter. just match the open end of the cable with the diagram I posted above.

16. Jun 23, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    Packguy2

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Holly Springs, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner DC LB Sport
    Don't have one. My neighbor is an electrician so I'm going to see if he can help me out.

17. Jun 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    After this mod how do you turn it on? Does the head unit think it is playing a cd? And if it does think it is a cd do you still have the use of a cd?

18. Jun 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Yes and yes. You select the aux output by selecting the CD player as the source. It works like this.

Normal Mode:

• CD is in the player, user selects disc as audio source
    • AUX cable is unplugged
    Result 1:

• Head unit plays CD like normal
    AUX Mod:

• CD is in the player, user selects disc as audio source
    • Aux cable is plugged in
    Result 2:

• The head unit will appear as though it is playing the CD but you will not hear the CD you will only hear what is playing from the aux input.
    Basically the instant you plug into the aux input and send an audio signal down the aux cable it switches the output audio from the CD to the aux input simple as that... If a CD is already playing and disc is selected as the source then there is no need to push any button on the head unit simply plug into the aux input and enjoy.

19. Jun 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Is there a way to tap into one of the radios?

20. Jun 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    That would be interesting because who uses FM2? But I still think the disc source is the way to go. Look at a 09+ head unit. Aux and disc are the same button. I know there has to be a simple way to mod the head unit so you can activate the disc button with out a disc inside the player. I will definitely look into it but I need to free up some time first. I have plenty on my plate as it is now. Eventually I would like to do some more experimenting. But for now this mod is just what I need, a cheap effective alternative.

Products Discussed in

To Top