1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fbconvert, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I'm early in the process... Got radio out, got top plate off, but cannot figure out how the face of the unit comes off? On large tab on each side, and three across top. Cannot get bottom undone, again the face of the radio. Help!

2. Jun 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
  3. Jun 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I remember it was tricky to get the bottom part off. I used a flat screw driver. What eventually worked for you? The first time I did it I think I also removed the clock and hazard button assembly as well, but that turned out to be unnecessary.

Good luck with the rest of the Mod, if you have any questions just ask them here.

Another thing I might not have been too clear on is make sure to fix those wires so there is zero stress on the solder points. I wrapped mine around the small cut on the inside of the frame holding the electric board. Whatever is clever though, just make sure if someone or something hangs up on the aux cable the solder points don't absorb all the force.

And of course take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes :D.

4. Jun 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    I ruined the lhc and rhc solder points. I'm terrible at this... So, are there any other points to try (and hopefully not ruin?) ugh.

5. Jun 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Ah well, all back to normal and radio working fine. Should've left it for someone with better than kindergarten soldering abilities...

6. Jun 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    FM1 is for me
    FM2 is for the teenage daughter :cool:

7. Jun 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    Thanks for this write up ,OP , this will save me several dollars from buying an adapter. Just proves how much you can learn from this site and so many things that you can do with a Tacoma!:cool:

FARNORCAL likes this.
  8. Jun 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    No doubt! There is some much good stuff to find on this site!

Sorry I was really busy this weekend. There are more solder points. you can follow the ribbon cable to the other board and solder to those points. I am sorry you had some much trouble with it. Did you check out the video I posted about soldering? What exactly went wrong?

9. Jun 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    GMRAABE

GMRAABE New Member

Member:
    Maple Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Awesome Mod!!! I did it this weekend. Works great. I was so impressed that I also did it to the family '05 Sienna.

10. Jun 27, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    So the Sienna had similar looking insides? I have been wondering about some of the factory jbl head units in other toyotas. I want to get a 09* bluetooth head unit but they are just priced too high at the moment. I have found ones out of other models of toyota though for around $50. I am just curious if they would plug into the front face of the tacoma head unit. I know for sure it would have to be out of another JBL toyota system.

11. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    Just completed!!! Reminder- Take your CD's OUT before pulling it from the dash! I got mine apart and saw 2 CD's inside , thought no problem......Did the MOD - plugged the connections back up and my CD's were off track :mad:- had to take 2 screws out of the top (thankfully) and push them over with my finger and they went right on track!!:D Didn't even have to unplug it.GREAT POST!!!!!:cool: OP-Rep+1

12. Jun 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Thanks and great advice too. I added it to the OP as the first step to removing the Head Unit.

13. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Anyone have any static? I think its because my cd that's playing is trying to bleed through. Though my cd is dragonforce and the sort.

Please pardon any spelling mistakes or non-sensical BS. This message is sponsored by my iPod touch.

14. Jun 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Would it work if you put in a blank CD?

15. Jun 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    glad my truck came with this set up cuz i do not have the balls to do this. ha nice write up!

16. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Maybe not a blank one but one that's "blank". Something calm or if I were to lower the levels on the song. I'll be trying it.

Please pardon any spelling mistakes or non-sensical BS. This message is sponsored by my iPod touch.

17. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    While I was testing this mod with the stereo out I got static. I looked at my connection to the head unit and realized my solder connection between the LCH and RCH to the wires was coming undone. I determined that because the wires were not secured and I had been moving the head unit around a lot, it had slowly broken down the solder joint. I re-soldered the the LCH and RCH points to the wires and secured the wires by wrapping them around the Head Unit Frame so then reinstalled the head unit and I have enjoyed crystal clear sound ever since.

One cause and effect could be your solder joint. if it is coming loose then the CD may be coming through when the connection to the input jack is broken. Check to make sure you have a solid solder connection, my guess is that is the cause of the static.

18. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    I'll double check the solder joint.. I used silver solder and wrapped the wire round the frame. Maybe vibrations are starting to break it loose..

19. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    GMRAABE

GMRAABE New Member

Member:
    Maple Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Sienna was a bit different. Found the RCH and LCH points on the side of a transistor on the main board. It works exactly the same, except with the tape deck instead of the CD player. It is a much cleaner & stronger signal than using the stupid tape adapters.

20. Jun 30, 2011 at 2:54 AM
    JoeRags27

JoeRags27 Because I can

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma 5-spd Blacked Out
    Aftermarket tires/all black aftermarket wheels/LED interior floor MOD/Cargo bed net/Interior LED Mod/Plasti dip Emblems Mod/Plasti Dip grill Black/Black Headlight Mod/AFE Pro Dry S Filter
    Doing this mod today!! So psyched this is going to be a cheap lifesaver will take many pics!....Single Disc Non JBL unit on my 08 Base Reg Cab 5 lug

Products Discussed in

To Top