1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap shell fix?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by time623, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Jul 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM
    time623

time623 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 White Tacoma 4x4
    I had to buy a cheap shell last minute for a trip I wanted to go on with a friend, and wound up picking up this shell which I believe was made for the 90s toyota pickups, not tacomas. I got this cheap, $100, and I knew it wasnt going to be a perfect fit, but am curious if there is anyway to seal it and get rid of a couple leaks it has. The first problem is the boot doesn't fit the angle of the cab of my xcab tacoma. Any ideas for how to fill this gap of about an inch? The other problem is the door is bent and has a gap because of it. The guy I bought it from suggested removing the glass and bending the frame back in place. I know I shouldve waited for a properly fitting shell, I just needed this last minute. For the trip I took I just threw a tarp over it with some bungee cords to keep the rain out.IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1572.jpg IMG_1573.jpg IMG_1574.jpg IMG_1576.jpg

2. Jul 23, 2017 at 5:27 AM
    JPinFL

JPinFL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    For the gap in between the cab and the shell, I've seen people use pipe insulation or a bike inner tube. For the pipe insulation, they just made a loop and just squeezed it in between. The inner tube was done the same, but was pumped up a little before putting it in place. Then once in place, pumped up some more for a tighter seal. This, however, was just going around the sliding windows of both shell and cab.

For your application, I am thinking the pipe insulation would be better of the two since you need to go around the whole window, not just the sliders. So you would have to use a few of them. Or maybe just a couple for the top.

Products Discussed in

To Top