1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap toyota denso O2 sensor, good or not?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by LeCarl, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Sep 23, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    LeCarl

LeCarl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Red tacoma 2002 xtracab 3RZ ;)
    Hi,

my question: are cheap china denso/toyota O2 sensor any good? (too good to be true?)

-------------

I'm new here, I got a nice tacoma 2002 4 cyl 3Rz with new frame (recall)

Well, it has some repair to be done, it run extreme good but I was annoyed by the check engine light, it said o2 sensor...

I had p0141 and another code, I not remember... ''just 2''
    I got no resistance from both from heater, so both was to change both (it have 400KKms...)

------------

The deep history:

I asked my friend experienced mechanic, he told me that cheap sensor are not good on toyota, they are critic on those cheap parts, he told me that the good working trusted sensors will cost 170 and 100$... (Canadian $)
    I LOLed a bit and I said him I seen the exact ''as'' the original Denso labeled ones in box for about 40$ each on ebay.

-So I bought a kit of 2 universal ''denso'' sensor, the one that you need to cut the wire and wrap them together to the original wiring... they said it's ''perfect'', you keep your original wiring!

the part arrived, the 4 split wire provided in kit was not waterproof ;/ I was think it's a big mistake. I bought waterproof split pack on local store... The sensor look as the original, but has less flexible wire, thinner internal wire too, maybe 20 ga wire and original 18 ga? it smell china copy...

Anyway, I cut my wire near the sensor, I plug this and it not worked great, now I had 4 check engine! P0141 P0171 P0125

I seen P0171 on most tacoma, it's MAF related. So I did clean my MAF sensor, it was already real clean... (change nothing)
    it CAN be related to O2 sensor... as the P0125 too!!!! (@#$%?)

My friend told me that it measure low voltage and standard o2 sensor split model are not good, it make measurement less good. (and sometime not work on some cars, he said to never do this for toyota)

-Ok ok, I said him... I will buy 1 front O2 but less cheaper 60$ with not cut plug, all like the original, same part number on original box...

The part arrived and the sensor was not same as original this time, part number fit but it has smaller holes and REVERSED plug. I asked to the china seller with a picture. He said to me to reverse the plug... lol! (it's not possible, it's REVERSE!) it has line and it's inverse... anyway, I did cut the line with an olfa knife and force plug in... same result... I told him that he sent me the bad part as the auction picture are exactly the part I had before and had the correct plug, he refunded me 22$... (he told me that he will told this to his designer team, so, yes they can make any part look as original and put reverse plug on not good o2 sensor... ;/ )

-Well, let's buy an 4th cheap O2 sensor! I bought it from USA this time to have support, yes... cheap again 70-80$ for front one... the part arrived fast, it's good one this time! wooo!
    But same bad check engine BUT very hard rough acceleration, and take 15-20 seconds to cold start, WTF! this one is the worst... I unplug it and it go better! I was to show to my friend how much bad it was... but stoped to work bad, he told me that sometime the sensor had to burn in, but... next days, same rough bad start and acceleration...

My friend did fast diagnostic with a multimeter it has reading from the sensor, it seems work but are the data good? we think it garbage the ECU... ;\

So now...???
    did someone had good experience with cheap O2 sensor from internet? all the one I bought are ''copy'' of denso \ toyota part... are those supposed to work? simple as this! it get 4 stars rating from the part??? comment are not bad at all...

I seen people there buy there ? https://www.rockauto.com/
    (I feel bad/angry to the idea to buy again!!!! I think I throw on garbage 250$ on this already)
    and the waste of time...

The good, the more I work on it, the more I'm happy to had bough it. it's real firm good project with the new frame.
    ...I had previously an 1992 v6 toyota pickup mud truck, it has 530000kms but still VERY rock solid, I sold it because it was too much ugly. One day someone wanted it too much, he put me cash on hands and go with it... lol! ;p

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 27, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    LeCarl

LeCarl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I not had answer, I know it's heavy to read... some find interesting, lol?

Well, I can help you identify china copy:

1- they are dirty cheap on online site 30-60$... (not in good car part seller)

2- It not have gold plated terminal on sensor output

3- wire are slightly more rigid, in fact, it's not same wire strand china are less strands (cheaper to produce)

4- Toyota or Denso laser writing not exact same font as the original

5- I guess the point : they are screw type with adapter and had same part number as original ( I not know honestly if screw type can have same number as the one in 1 part) Important point : with flange they go less deeper than original inside the exhaust for about 3/8 inch, original go deeper inside and are direct in stream of gases in the exaust

Beware of product stars rating on ebay and Amazon because it's mixed between true original working part and fake china copy, on those website if you sell a product with a product number and are a copy, it will be put in same product review as the good one (you know what I mean)?

(First, when I bought it, I was think it's grade B sensor with slight defect in visual apparence, when I had received it, it look to have slight defect in metal structure, it had pit and hole in the protective shield... anyway, it just real not work... fake... )

1. too much cheap to be true (see the original part in picture, they send me screw type with same part number!)
    05 cheap.jpg

2. The plug gold plated signal terminal tab, left original, right copy
    01 plug.jpg

3. There a lot more strands on original, softer wire... you need to cut it to see... ;)
    04 strands.jpg

4. Laser writing Toyota and other font look wider, no Japan on original
    02 font.jpg

5. Sensor screw type are shorter, not go far in flow of exhaust (see how much DARK it is from extreme too much rich mixture, I did 350km with a full tank!)
    03 lenght.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  3. Sep 28, 2018 at 12:59 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Have you complained if you bought them on Ebay??

4. Sep 29, 2018 at 5:55 AM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
    Theres a big market of knock off denso parts out there. Especially platinum/iridium spark plus. Sometimes its just best to go through a dealer or reputable online distributor.

whatstcp likes this.
  5. Sep 29, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    Boatbldr

Boatbldr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 prerunner
    None
    I just drive with that stupid dummy light on because I use a locking gas cap

6. Sep 29, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    Boatbldr

Boatbldr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 prerunner
    None
    Ever considered just walking through the door of a regular parts store?

Blue92 likes this.
  7. Sep 29, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    LeCarl

LeCarl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Exact, but here in canada toyota dealers charge up to 300% of usa price for OEM parts.... (I buy near all my OEM parts in usa, I pay customs, but still far from price we pay here..)

so, it can be nice to try find those one cheap on online site

As I said, the stars rating and comments...

the OEM parts are in same bucket as fake parts, all can be confused (some say it works perfectly, probably bought a 130-200$ denso or OEM model and those that say not work, fake denso toyota model.)

They have laser writer and able copy hologram now...! sell fake part are very $$$

The best would be to buy parts from TOYOTA or reputable seller, yes it's a good lesson! (my more experienced friend told me too...)

8. Sep 29, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Op you might have noted your in Canada !!

Makes quite a difference

9. Sep 29, 2018 at 8:08 PM
    LeCarl

LeCarl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    well, for canada... (LOL!)

local dealer for scion xb 2005 rear hand brake cable= 370$ CAD EACH!!!!, I got BOTH for 317$ CAD delivered at my door from a toyota dealer in usa
    scion XB thermostat... dealer here is 69$ CAD no rubber seal, usa toyota dealer is 45$ CAD with rubber seal at my door...
    O2 sensor are like 375 to 450$ at toyota here...

But it's a guess, sometime local dealer are real cheap, oil/coolant price are very good and some cheap part sometime
    like the front brake disk protector (the metal plate rear of disk brake are was 7$!!! CAD! I said them it's an error, they said no... I bought 4... lol!)
    and sometime... rear disk plate for hand brake/drum are 400+$... why???

10. Sep 29, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    LeCarl

LeCarl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also, the bad... here there no used parts for toyota trucks at junkyard, they are all sent to Africa, you ask for parts, they never had those

This summer, I was seen 4 frame rotten tacoma next to junkyard gate... they said they are not for part and sold to export...
    (I wanted to exchange my old 400000km seat with sr5 one... Africa)

I need to find parts on used car website... some end user sell parts... some have old scrap truck on backyards
    I took me 3 month to find a kit of 4:10 diff... (sarcastic lol... ;p )

11. Sep 30, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    LeCarl

LeCarl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They refund me all (except shipping)

12. Oct 9, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    FED Driver

FED Driver New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2004 Red Tacoma TRD
    Stock 3.4L
    Very similar problem here on my 2004 Tacoma 3.4L. The CEL threw a P-0031 light which indicates upstream A/F Sensor Toyota Part Number 89467-35060 bad. Sure enough, the heater wires showed no continuitity. Ebay, Amazon, AutoZone, CarQuest, and forums all indicated that the Denso 234-9001 was the replacement. One purchased from Ebay for $40 turned off the CEL but the truck would hardly run. A second replacement from the Ebay vendor acted the same way. So, I bit the bullet and purchased the original Toyota part number from an Amazon vendor, Longo Toyota for $186 which is $100 cheaper than the local dealer. Now the truck runs great. Turns out, us Californians have a different A/F sensor than the rest of the country.

Products Discussed in

To Top