1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

check engine/chugging

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beachbumberry, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    beachbumberry

beachbumberry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    leveling kit, american racing rims, push bar, nerf bars
    so while installing my rear fog light today for england i bumped a wire somewhere that was loose somewhere and it started popping fuses. after trying to chase the short for awhile and popping 8 fuses i found what looked like a loose wire behind the fuse box. i disconnected the battery and removed the fuse box to get to it. turns out it wasnt it. i put it all back together, found the short in another area, and figured i'd be on my way right? nope, now i have a check engine light and if i press the gas pedal more than about 1/3 of the way down it chugs and won't go any higher than it's current rpm, almost like its hitting the rev limiter. also it won't start the first try either, it just dies out. after that it'll start right up. i'm thinking the ecu needs to be reset somehow... any ideas?

2. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    your truck is in limp mode...to prevent damage to the engine the ECU doesn't allow you to go past a certain RPM...

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Get the truck to a pepboys or autozone or a dealer and get the code read to start with...That'll target you to what systems to look at.

4. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    ^good tip brunes...

if you got a SG2 you can pull the codes and just look for them online...

here's a List of Toyota CEL Codes <-click for link

5. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    beachbumberry

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    im in england so i have to take the truck to the hobby shop on base after work. good thing the speed limits on base are under 30.

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    beachbumberry

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    well, time to laugh at my expense. took the truck to a shop today to hook it up to thier code reader and see what was up. it was throwing 4 different codes from sensors not having proper voltage. guy ran inside and i started poking around under the hood at the fuse panel there. 40 UK pounds later, i realize that the fuse for for the ecu (fuse 1 if i remember right) was in the wrong place, or more along the lines of i grabbed the 10amp fuse that was in the right place when i meant to grab the 10amp spare in the spot right next to it. epic fail on my part. problem solved, runs good now

7. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    glad to hear you got it fixed...and everything running good...

1 less headache...now enjoy the ride all over again...:D

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    beachbumberry

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    exactly! found a byway (rough dirt road that is p[ublic land) right by base that i drove down right after it rained today... got her nice and dirty and its rough even at like 20mph

To Top