1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check engine light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by komono97, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    komono97

komono97 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I recently did an oil change on my 06 tacoma and after approximately 500km's the check engine light came on for the first time ever. I have been doing my own oil changes on the truck for a while now and this is the first time I have come across this problem. I did however use 10W30 vs the recommended 5W30 which the cap suggests. Could this be what is causing this issue? I have checked the oil levels as well and they are where they should be...

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Phullabull

Phullabull Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport

"Check engine" lights typically relate to an issue with the emission control system. A "Maintenance Required" light is related to the need for an oil change. Might be something as simple as a leak in a vacuum hose.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Sorry I can't help you out with your specific question, but you may want to invest in an UltraGauge? It's a little diagnostic tool that plugs into your OBDII...besides giving you all kinds of readings it can also spit out CEL codes as well as clear out the CEL itself. I've bought one for these types of situations. There was a recent group buy. I believe it's over now, but they're not too expensive as is.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top