1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine Light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Irish020, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    2005 TRD Sport, Check Engine Light came on at 51K + change.....

What's up with my Taco? It seems fine!

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    CEL and Maint Required are different lights.

OP-Get to an Autozone or Pep Boys and get them to read the codes for you...Let us know what they are.

3. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Take it to an auto parts store and get the code checked... Then someone on here will be able to help.

Edit: Brunes, you are too fast!

4. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    lol what's up with it? like it could only be couple things :rolleyes:
    invest in a code reader...

5. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    Thanks for the quick replies...I thought it may have been the gas cap loose that is mentioned in the owner's manual and I just filled up the other day...so I tightened it when I got to work this am....still on....maybe it'll go off...

I do have K&N air filter and Flowmaster Cat-Back American Thunder...for about 6 months with no lights until this morning.

6. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's probably a good thing to know even if it's not by experience...Driving thru a Maint Req'd Light...No big deal. Check Engine Light...Not so good to ignore...

7. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah, it's not the oil change light...it is the Check Engine Light....

8. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Mark, are you a Coastie? My Pop was a Coastie for 26 years....lighthouse keeper believe it or not!

9. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Light houses...That had to be some pretty cool duty. I'm a helo pilot down in New Orleans now.

10. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    did you recently oil that K&N filter?
    usually overoiling it will contaminate your MAF, and boooooom CEL will come on with a code ;p
    that's my guess

11. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Have not oiled the filter...don't drive off road or on dusty roads....much....at least not since installing the filter.

12. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    He was in New England..At West Quoddy when I was born in '63...he's now buried at sea 7 miles due East of Portland Head Light...

We were stationed in New Orleans in '64-'65, Dad helped commission the USCG Hamilton down there!

13. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    CEL from gas cap can take a day or so to go off.

14. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Man...That is some awesome history-Sounds like he was a great guy.

They just decommed the Hamilton in the past few months. The Hamilton #2 will be commissioned in the next 2 years or so.

15. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Mark...he really was a great guy....

He was at Whaleback in Portsmouth Harbor in the late 50's this web site has 2 pics of him on duty. One working on the fog horn, the other outside the Lighthouse....

I heard about the Hamilton...she was a pretty boat, the first 378er!

16. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
  17. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    I just checked the K&N and it was clean and oily to touch still from the factory. I blew it out with compressor and put it back in..light's still on...maybe it was the gas cap and it will go away??? Anybody know if this really happens?

18. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I've never had mine come on in the Tacoma, but in other trucks you usually have to manually reset the CEL with a reader... it won't go off on it's own, from my experience.

Just get the code read and have the CEL reset at the same time. A mechanic can charge you $ to do this, but just be nice and get it done for free; it takes all of pushing a couple buttons; you can even buy your own for like $30 to do it yourself.

19. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    My money is on the K and N filter being the problem...

I ran one on my 98 Tacoma for almost 10 years and never had an issue, I put one in my wife's Subaru and it threw a code in about 300 miles after installing. Since then, I decided to stick with stock. I read about too many people having issues with the K and N.

20. Jun 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is no way to know without reading the code. No one here can diagnose it over the net without you reading the code and posting it here.

Read the code...post it here.

Products Discussed in

To Top