1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine + Trac Ctrl lights = dirty camshaft position sensor?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by minameismud, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:34 AM
    minameismud

minameismud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner SR5
    Fog light mod, clamped tailgate
    Pretty much. I ponied up for the 120k/7y warranty, so I'm not all that worried about it getting fixed. What concerns me is that it's my only vehicle - my wife doesn't drive (medical reasons). I got a toyota (again) to not have problems.

I have no hate on the shop techs. They do their job, and most of them do it well. It's the service writers who are often second only to the salesmen in terms of thieving, lying, and general incompetence, and that's often due to the culture of that position - management seems to tell these guys "appease, don't satisfy". Unfortunately, you only get to talk to the service writers, not the techs (unless the service writer has a severe lapse in judgement).

ANYWAY back on topic.

Can you get a few pictures of where this screen is? Or is it nothing I should ever be touching? Also, if one of those cam gears fails, am I at risk of a piston smacking a valve that opened into the cylinder at the wrong time?

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    it's not something anybody should need to worry about messing with. And no, if those gears failed i would not foresee this type of result, if it were catastophic failure, the engine would just stop, i dont see how the valves would be an issue.

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yes. Tech can clean that in 20 minutes no problem. (if this is like other Toyota engines)
    Thats why I changed my oil after 500 miles. There is always some debris from factory. Something was there behind oil filter. Or maybe oil filter got clogged and bypass valve opened up. Either way something was there and lets hope thats the only thing that got clogged up

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I know this is not interval maintenance item so I am assuming that needs to be cleaned when code shows up, but before that truck probably will be burning gas like a V12 motorhome.:D
    Edit: Maybe thats why some people get such a horrible mileage :notsure:

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Um careful there, I unplugged my MAF while the ignition was on motor off by mistake and my trac cntrl/auto LSD/Check engine light was on and stayed on. had to dissconnect the battery to clear it. 17 years tunning Chevy and Fords and have never seen an OBD system with odd flags as this.

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Here you go
    VVT Filters.jpg

7. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If you had a VVTI failure you would not smack a valve.
    If you had a VVTI separation or chain issue then yes you would.

When i ment he just cleared it there are a few tests we perform to check the VVTI operation. This included running the solenoids and the VVTI itself. If no issue were found then he cleared the code. Ran the tests and no resetting occurred. It's very tuff to diag an intermittent problem. Usually i have found when a VVTI code is set it does come back. Might not be right away.

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    +13 years of wrenching on Yota's and I've seen all kinds of weird shit as far as CEL's. And they all have a commonality whether it be a blue fuse or shorted wire. ;)

9. Dec 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    So maybe it's fixed. Sounds like the guys who work on these all the time don't think so, but at least the tech's story is plausible.

Sorry for my above rant guys. Just hate when people immediately assume someone to be lying and incompetent just because they work with their hands to earn a living.

If it were my truck I would rather try cleaning that screen and maybe changing the oil and filter before having the entire engine torn down to the longblock to change some gears out on a new truck.

10. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Yep I am not a tech ( I am a shadytree mechanic :) )but I have to say checking those screen filters first would be my step with the same code. So I think tech did the right thing. If code comes back then valve should be checked and tested. But I am guessing if valve was bad or VVT gear was bad, error would have come back immediately. I think OP is safe.

Products Discussed in

To Top