1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check out what happened when I was driving [PICS]

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brettb, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Wow!! That sucks!! I am now kinda scared that I may have an issue with mine as well. I have just noticed a kinda popping noise when Im about to come to a stop under braking. The sound is coming from the front drivers side area, sometimes it does it enough that I can feel it with my feet through the floor board. Any one know what this may be??? Suspension or maybe brake system related?? HELP please!!!!!!

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM
    TGurau

TGurau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    Calm yourself down, take it to a shop and have it looked at. 20-30 dollars is surely worth peace of mind.

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 2:55 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Or you can check it yourself. :D

4. Oct 28, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Yeah I know. I will take a look at them and see. The noise really just started a couple weeks ago and only does it every now and then, but deff. enough to notice it. If they do need replacing does anyone have a guess of what an average price to have them installed would be? Wouldn't you have to get it aligned after also?

5. Dec 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    brettb

brettb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Brand new fender and I got a dent in the front out too!!! :D They put on this ghetto toyota tacoma badge on hahahahah makes me laugh every time looks like its maybe $2

6. Dec 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Man if your dad is anything like mine he probably was thinking I told you lifting a perfectly good truck and doing all that work to it was a waste.

Thats how mine is, anytime I bought something for my truck he saw it as a "waste". I proved him wrong though. Now both vehicles I have look ten times better!

7. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    dustinclm

dustinclm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DC 4x4 V6
    Bilstein 5100 set at .85" WeatherTech Floor Mats
    it may be too late now but is the recall over??? i will call tomorrow and check but im just curious now? i have been hearing occasional popping from the front left suspension when turning on my 01 prerunner but i have never heard of the recall until now...

8. Dec 9, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    I have a 01 with a date of manufacture 06/01/01, from about 25,000 miles on I complained about a noise in the front end when turning. Service department always came back with could not duplicate the noise. When the recall campaign came for the lower ball joints I contacted Toyota they said that my vin did not match the recall, only trucks manufactured after mid July 01. In the fall of 07 with about 110,000 miles I started to get a shake in the steering wheel under braking, I took to a independent shop and they said it need lower ball joints. I had the lower ball joints replaced, the shop used Autopart International (https://www.autopartintl.com/) replacement ball joints (Twainese junk) about 16 months later (warranted for 1 yr) the ball joint started to make noise, I took it back to the shop that did the replacement and they said it was a little loose and was beyond the warranty period. About a week later the ball joint failed on the highway at 65 mph. Luckily my damage was not as bad as yours, ball joints and axle shaft no body damage. I replaced all of my ball joints myself with Moog parts, so far no problems. Good luck.

9. Dec 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    Glad you are OK ~ things could have been much worse...

The cheap China parts are driving Quality Mfg'rs out of business.

brettb ~ Just curious?
    What brand ball joints are now installed in your truck.
    Toyota, Moog, TRW, Do you know?
    How imporant is this to you?

Was this the original Toyota Ball Joint that failed?

A short rant ~ about how things used to be and the dumbing down of the automotive society. Not against the poster ~ but about the direction of Auto makers and society in general.

These days Auto Makers design vehicles to achieve 100k miles or generally thru the end of making payments before major service is required. This has led to even greater dumbing down of the general public about proper service and repair (As most don't do it). Also most vehicles are now designed to clear 100k before their first major service. (Distributor less Coil on plug / Stepping away from the 60k timing belt change). The intent is to drive the owner who just finished his payments out of the old and back into another NEW car. Buyer be Ware!!!!

15-20 yrs ago a vehicle making it 10 yrs or 100k was considered a mile stone and said vehicle was revered for achieving the accomplishment. Not any more ~ today most vehicles are expected to go 300k+ with minimal service. Back in the 80's 90's you had to stay on top of everything with regular check ups lube and parts replacement. Also cheap sub-par Taiwan / China parts were the exception not the norm. When you bought replacement parts they generally met the oem quality. Today the sub standard china parts market has watered down replacement parts quality to levels barely acceptable for general safety. The even sadder thing is the low price parts sell 50:1 over the quality stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top