1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check your complementary oil changes

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Arries289, May 15, 2019.

1. May 16, 2019 at 3:46 PM
    ndoldman59

ndoldman59 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Murray
    West Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2021 magnetic silver SR5 DCSB V6
    Yep, i let them do the rotation I did the oil change to follow my schedule they did the 10 and so on my 2016 . My dealership is pretty good. Plus I have gone there for several items over the past 20 yrs they have 1 or 2 toyo techs that are tops in the country and consulted by other dealers. The one found. A cracked cooling tube under the intake on my gen 1 that presented as a waterpump after the 2nd one put on under a 30 day warranty.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. May 16, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    tonykarter

tonykarter Crappie Savant

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4 Sport 1993 4Runner SR5 4x4, 411,000 miles
    Pine tree air freshener
    Almost bought a lift to be installed in my shop today, but walked away to think about it. After catching up on this thread I'll be back in there Monday with money in hand. This truck is going to last 30 years. IF I can keep other people from messing it up.
    And if I don't?

It's:

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. May 16, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

I was just guna say you don't need to pull intake for that but it's a royal pita. Like unbelievably frustrating pita. Did a timing belt on one few months back.

4. May 17, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    RPVTaco

RPVTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    How many miles did you have on it? I went in for my first service at 5k and they just topped fluids and checked air in tires. First oil change is 10k.

5. May 17, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    Bagow

Bagow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR 4x4
    I believe this happens way more often than we are aware of. The techs are rated on how fast they can get the job done. Real easy to skip the skid plare removal and filter change to save some time and who would ever know.
    I typically do my own oil changes every 5K. I made the exception at 20K and had the dealer do it because it was 110 degrees in Phoenix and I didn't feel like crawling under the truck.
    When I did the 25K change I found the same $18 wix filter that I had put in at 15K. Took it to the dealer and talked to the service manager. He informed me that the oil change had been done by his senior tech and he doubted that he would not change the filter. I showed him the wix filter that I had just removed and he said they were probably out of toyota filters that day and had sent someone to the local parts store to buy a filter. I called bs on this as it is very unlikely they would run out of filters and if they did they certainly wouldn't buy the most expensive filter available.
    Never trust the dealer.

pro fan likes this.
  6. May 17, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    pro fan

pro fan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    This forum is so great!
    I can't even begin to share my dealership horror stories! They don't call them STEALerships for nothing. I have had great relationships with sales, management, parts. But the techs are underpaid and some don't even like their jobs.
    1 time - I took in my Shelby and the guy that drives the cars back came back and told the service writer he couldn't drive a manual transmission! like really? why did you apply for a job driving cars if you can't shift?
    Another time I took in my 09 Xrunner and the guy got in a drove around and then I can hear/see 4 techs standing around my truck revving the engine. the silly thing was...IT WAS STOCK! haha
    this last time.... i bought a bed extender and they wanted to charge me $750 installed. The extender was $425 and the rest was for installing 4 bolts in the bed!!! $325!!! I get my truck back ---(they kept my truck for 8 hours) and my tailgate won't close shut - the bed extender hits the tailgate. Truck had 1400 miles on it.
    We MUST commit the MORAL OF THIS POST to memory and .....double check all who work on our vehicles!
    I see it could be difficult/time consuming to changing the filter in TRD Pro. I will do a search here and see if anyone has done a write up on this.

7. May 17, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    ChrisK7UND

ChrisK7UND Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Double-Cab
    LED Interior Bulbs, Hondo Garage Phone Mount, Tacoma Bed Mat
    Good on you! Give them an opportunity to make it right before dragging them through the dirt. Good policy!

8. May 17, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    silverflash

silverflash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4x4 OFFROAD DCSB Auto Quicksand
    tyger armor side bars tyger tri-fold tonneau cover avs bug deflector II scangauge II

also, AAA care care sucks IMHO. I took a car over to them after it broke down- old mustang and wasn't mine but i was in charge of it at the time- because of a gas leak and they found tie rod bad and wheel bearing bad. We had them do the work while it was there. got it back and the next day i went to drive it and heard a weird noise. came back to the house and lo and behold, all the lug nuts on the one wheel were loose. 2 were about to fall off. Seriously. I called AAA car care and told them and was told "our senior tech worked on that car so there is no way he did that". They wanted to see the car so i drove it over- i torqued lugs of course before doign so- and the master tech looked at it and said it could be the wheels. but he checked the torque and it was fine. He said it probably would loosen up again. it never did. Seems that's this is more common than not. Another reason i do all my own work- that i can. Also, came to find out, they didn't repalce the tie rod like they said. It was still the original.

I called them, spoke with AAA corporate and the manager and he offered me $250 in free labor.. AHHHHHH, no. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, i am a retard.

9. May 17, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    The Pro will be the easiest of the bunch in stock form as there is an access plate in the skid plate to get to the filter.

pro fan[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 17, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    silverflash

silverflash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Harnett county NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4x4 OFFROAD DCSB Auto Quicksand
    tyger armor side bars tyger tri-fold tonneau cover avs bug deflector II scangauge II
    any value in changing the skid to the trd pro for those of us with the offroads?

11. May 17, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    Thatnoobguy

Thatnoobguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma trd off road with “premium” audio :|
    12 in sub for actual bass
    I check before I leave but i also dont trust their 10k interval. Change it myself every 5, then them every 10

12. May 17, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    thekidkaiser

thekidkaiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD OR | DCLB
  13. May 17, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The Pro Skid Plate looks much better and is heavier plus the access door is a bonus. I picked one up last month when Toyota had the 40% off sale.

14. May 17, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    10k for your FIRST oil change? Interesting my dealership told me Toyota Care covers every 5k or six months. They emailed a reminder at 6 months and they just sent me another reminder since its been almost a year since I bought it. Bonus for them I only just turned 3,621 on the odometer.

15. May 17, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Toyota care covers a "service" every 5k, oil change at 10k.

16. May 17, 2019 at 8:40 AM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Ahhhhh...well 10k is excessive if you ask me. I'll be doing my own as I have been doing on all my rings anyway so TC is useless to me. Two years of service or 20k miles basically amounts to two oil changes and the stress induced by worrying about weather it was done correctly or not. Nah I'll pass.... thanks Toyota for absolutely nothing.

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 17, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    mosesofthesouth

mosesofthesouth Well-Known Member

Member:
    For what it is worth.... Toyota of Cookeville tn has done all of My maintenance. I just hit 230k+. I got a rare deal, as long as I get my oil changes done with them I get free tires for life. oil gets changed every 5K. I have never checked any of the levels on fluids before or after oil changes. Haven't checked anything really. Let's see when it blows up.

pro fan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top