1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check your Tacoma - Hairline Cracks?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fortech, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    Fortech

Fortech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I've been reading several instances lately on other forums about members finding hairline cracks in the steel uprights in the rear of the bed. I checked mine a short time ago and sure enough, I have them too.

The area in question is adjacent to the tailgate hinges near the bottom of the taillight. If you open your tailgate you should be able to see what I am talking about. I'll try and get some pics ASAP also.

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    W/o starting a debate, do the same people with cracks leave their tailgate down ever or a lot? Mine is 2 yo and has no cracks ....yet, never leave gate down 'cept for a plywood load i did.

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  4. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    Toogrady

Toogrady Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Olympia, WA
  5. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I have read about this issue before, but I am not sure if it was this forum where I read about it. I believe it was covered under waranty as it should be...

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    2ng gen beds are very weak, if you look in your mirror while going over bumps or are ever driving behind another 2nd gen going over bumps you will c what im talking about. Our beds are very flexible, they twist and shake with every little bump. My guess is that any one with cracks has been driving on rough terrain.

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  8. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I'd actually have to say that its more so of the overly stiff sh*tty stock suspension. Having a good suspension/lift will tone down all the twisting and 'shocks' the bed has to deal with.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    really i find the stock shocks to be the opposite of stiff, I installed 5100's and its a lots more stiff now.

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I leave it down all the time for the bikes. Ill check if i have them tonight

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Fortech

Fortech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Tailgate is never down unless I carry something too long for the bed and requires the gate to be down - which is rare.

Just posting this up as a FYI as this doesn't really bother me much unless it escalates into something more drastic as the truck is now 5 years old. Others who find this problem on a newer Tacoma might be concerned though and may have luck getting it fixed if they wish.

Apparently what happens here is the two uprights begin to crack and "fall away" from each other, making the opening in the end of the bed larger (between the taillights). Some of the individuals who first noticed this have camper shells, and noticed after time that the rear hatch on the shell would no longer seal due to the bed spreading so far apart, also increasing the opening in the rear of the shell. I don't run a camper shell but I do have a fiberglass tonneau that is on the truck from spring until fall.

Its hard to see in the pics but the majority of the crack is visible but it does extend a little more but isn't visible in the pics - maybe an inch long in total on both sides.

[​IMG]

Left Side

[​IMG]

Right Side

[​IMG]

Left side tailgate gap

[​IMG]

Right side tailgate gap

Anyone who is anal enough about this may want to get it checked out if they so desire - but like I stated earlier I doubt I'll do anything about it as the truck is now 5 years old. It isn't something I wanted to find, but honestly I don't care much either. I do have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to get a wheel bearing replaced under my extended warranty, so I may mention this in passing. If they want to do something fine, if not I don't really care.

12. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    If he has an AAL thats probally why the ride is still pretty stiff. When I got rid of my aal for a leaf pack it was like going from a track car to a cadillac.

13. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    yup probably, but still i thought my stock shocks were very soft.

I havent looked but im pretty sure mine are cracked, as I can tell from looking in my rear view that the box is widening, I can see a space between the box walls and the tail gate on both sides.

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    hmmm... When Ed put his "new" tailgate on he was having problems with the gap on the left and right. I wonder...:popcorn:

15. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    I think you will find that most trucks have those cracks. When I found my cracks I started looking at others that day, 3 in the parking lot at work all were cracked from a little to a lot. Mine still are and I think I will let it ride until I see it being a problem then weld it up and add a gusset in there somewhere.

16. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD DCab OR Supah White
    ProComp/Headstrong leveling kit, AllPro rock sliders.
    I have an 06 with almost 100K on it. I know my truck has been used off road quite a bit (bought used) but nothing too gnarly. It appears I have a slight crack on the right side, nothing on the left. The crack hasn't really separated tho, and is way smaller than in the photos above. Just eyeballing the gaps on either side of the tailgate, they seem to be pretty even.

17. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    I am glued to this post! The brake pedal thing doesn't concern me -people are idiots. The drive shaft and spring pack TSB - whatever. Bed cracks - hmmmmmm that sucks. I guess if it is just starting after 5 years that's not too bad, but it makes me wonder what will it look like in 10 years? I know people in my area that keep their Toyota trucks for 10+ years. From the looks of the pics it is minor. However, frequent heavy tailgate loads can quickly extend the cracks, I am interested to hear what the dealership says.

18. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    subscribed

OZ

19. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
  20. Mar 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    I have an '07 with no cracks. Also where the crack is stemming from... the 'curved cutout'... the diameter of my cutout appears to be much larger than yours. Just an observation.

Products Discussed in

To Top