1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Checking Accounts: Joint or Seperate?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Joehs, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Checking Accounts: Joint or Seperate?

Poll closed May 18, 2011.
  1. Joint

21.8%
  2. Seperate

74.3%
  3. I keep all my money in cash under the bed

4.0%
  1. Apr 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    They all want joint, Funny thing eh.......

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    CopyTaco

CopyTaco skeeert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kins
    Florence, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4x4 DCLB
    OME, Demello, 4xInnovations, Relentless, Murdered Click Sig Pic for Build Log
    My wife and I keep a joint checking and savings. I however have a separate checking which she is not listed on but well aware of. The money is actually from a trust setup by a late grandparent and she had the nerve to ask if she could be on the account! Denied :)

edit: need 4th option for both

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    You're not married. Why would you even think about joint?

4. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    valleythunder

valleythunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dahlgren, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB
    My g/f (of nine years) and I do this: We both deposit a predetermined amount into a joint account that pays our mortgage, taxes and all utilities.

The rest we deposit into our own accounts. Easier that way, living expenses get paid, and we don't have the opportunity to fight over money.... Trust me you will!!

5. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    NEVER trust a girl with money...just my 2c

6. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    zimm52

zimm52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sneakin up behind you
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    nothing yet!
    Once you go through a divorce and your ex, who has been spending all the money and cheating on you, NEVER ever again will I have a joint checking account.

7. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    ^^^^^^^see;)

8. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    My wife and I have seperate accounts.

9. Apr 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers

Didn't spend the time reading all the feedback, but from the poles, I'm the minority anyway.

My wife and I (20 years now), have a relationship of trust. We trust each other with every aspect of life. We don't always agree, and if we don't, the one with more experience (or better decision making abilities) in that particular area gets the vote. Ultimately, I am the head of house and my wife accepts my final decision (in most areas ;)). However, I've also learned that my wife has some great strengths in various areas, such as financials. Since it is her strength, I let her manage the money (i.e. pay bills and balance the checkbook) and I just look over the numbers to see if it all adds up. When I want to spend money, we figure out where it'll come from and if needed, how much time to save for it; and likewise for her. So for me, joint accounts was the simplest and most efficient way.

On the flipside, we have, over the last 20 years, a number of friends who are now divored. The number one thing they ALL had in common was seperate accounts. This is not to say that seperate accounts leads to divorce, but it might suggest that a lack of trust is/was evident.

In my opinion, the discussion of whether a joint or seperate account is preferred might be a way of saying, "I don't quite trust you yet". There could be good, or no reason at all, to have such feelings towards the significant other. If a relationship is to grow and deepen, may I also suggest that you spend some time understanding why a lack of trust is evident?

I know I crossed lines here, but it's how my brain works. If I offended anyone, let me be the first to apologize. I meant no disrespect; yet I believe whole heartedly in finding a spouse you can absolutely trust, AND allowing her to absolutely trust you.

peace

10. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    creeper

creeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    How do you own a house and cars together, with separate bank accounts and everything split up in your own names? Does not compute...

11. Apr 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    Both, we have our own accounts, but we also have a joint for big purchases.

12. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    SPORT

My thoughts exactly. I've only been married for 3 years myself, known my wife now for a total of almost 7 years. Trust and honest communication. It's gotten us this far, and we know it will keep us going.

13. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    girlfriend????

why are you even having this conversation????

once married, then ask that question.

14. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    My wife is an accountant and we both agreed on seperate, we even split the bills. There wasn't even a discussion.

15. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Like woody said, it is his girlfriend, not even fiancee', there is no question, keep them seperate. Once he is married it is a different story.

16. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    good man. you are married, the funds belong to both of you. it is jointly owned... i would never even consider having seperate accounts with my wife, it is OUR money, in OUR bank account. i see zero reason to have seperate accounts, even for tracking, etc. i'm sure there are exceptions based on more unusual circumstances that would lend itself to another account, but for the average person I don't.

17. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're not married..... definately SEPARATE!!!

Why would you put someones elses name on your account if you're not legally 'attached' to that person? DON'T DO IT!!

With my husband and I - everything is joint. Our money is our money - not his or hers.

Now - my parents do it differently. Since Mom doesn't work, all the accounts are in Dad's name. Mom can't tap into that money without permission, including money for groceries. :rolleyes: They're old and old school. I've heard a lot of couples keep things separate - his/her money and they don't touch eachothers money. If that works for them, that's cool.
    Certainly, if your spouse has a bad habit of spending....I think I'd want to limit their access to the funds after countless attempts to make them stop. :D Or is it a trust issue?

One reason for having joint accounts - is because if one spouse passes, its much easier for the other spouse to legally get what they're intitled to. I remember when my father-in-law passed away, we needed a lawyer mostly to gain access for my mother-in-law to the stocks/bonds/CD's that he had in his name. To have them transferred over for her. It's not the easiest task even if you THINK you've crossed all your T's and dotted your i's.

18. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm pretty sure you guys are taking this "trust and sharing" thing to the extreme. I trust my wife to pay her 1/2 of the bills...She's got my passwords and access to my bank account as I do to hers and I trust her to do whatever she wants with whatever money is left after our obligations are covered.

But my own account ensures that I have the pulse on what my money is doing. I don't have to worry about her needing to buy gas and groceries the same day the Taco needs gas, nor do I need to check with her to do anything. We do have several other accounts (a house repairs/rainy day fund) and a vacation account that we both have access to and usually use only when we are together.

19. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    X2

20. Apr 19, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    unless you are dating the hottie that works at your bank..she shouldnt even know how much money you have or do not have.

separate until married.

Products Discussed in

To Top