1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chevy Silverado or Tacoma S/C

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by MRCapps, Aug 24, 2009.

?

Chevy or Taco

Poll closed Nov 22, 2009.
  1. 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DC Supercharged

106 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. 2010 Chevy Silverado 4X4 LT1 Z71 Ext Cab

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Niether

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    the tacoma is more reliable - fact
    if you do 50% OFFROAD your gona want the smaller truck for the tight situations
    and the resale value of the tacoma will probably be double that of the silverado.

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Just out of curiosity no disrespect meant. If you hate a vehicle than why spend 30k on it and keep it? :confused:

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    x400.
    I have owned no less that 6 gmc's and chevy 4 x 4's. As far as reliability and resale the Toyota will kill it hands down. You have any idea how many full size year 200-2009 are for sale. They are practically giving them away. That tells you a little something about the resale.

When it comes to wheeling it I can speak on the Chevy side, yeah they wheeled good, even good stock, but not for tight areas. I also would say that the DIY on a toyota for off road updates is a lot easier than a Chevy or GMC.

If you need a truck to work out of a Tacoma is not a great worktruck in the shortbed, the longbed better, but a full size bed is key to a lot of peoples work.

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i've been driving toyota pick ups for years(on my 5th one)and this is my first one i hate.my frame is starting to rust pretty good and its brand new.they dealer says its normal and acceptable.they were going to get a regional rep to contact me about the problem.its been 2 months and no rep and dealer rep doesnt call me back. so much for loyalty.

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    May as well get the Government Motors truck. Get some of your tax money back from those undeserving bastards.

6. Aug 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Oh ok, I believe I talked to you about that not too long ago.

7. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    x1000

8. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    IMO the Tacoma looks better....will retain it's value....and you will be able to drive it a lot longer than a chev...but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference...test drive them both and choose for yourself...and welcome to TW.:)

9. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    shockittillyareconizeit

shockittillyareconizeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Coma PreRunner
    Front - Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Maxtrac 4" lift spindles, TC UCA's Rear - Billy's 5100/1.5 AAL, 3" lift blocks MB Predator wheels - 16x8 plasti-dipped matte black Toyo Open Country A/T 305/70/16 Satoshi grille Blacked out badges DTRL Wet Okole seat covers
    The only way i would go with Chevy is if it were a Crew Cab. None of that extended cab stuff. More room to grow with.

10. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    x2 on the crewcab and maye a deisel

11. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    MRCapps

MRCapps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Yeah, I looked at the crew cab but the wheelbase is too long! I know that I am not going to get a Jeep's wheelbase but I don’t want it too long.

Also, everyone.... I did some math last night (I couldn’t sleep). Without the S/C the Tacoma has stock 236 HP which I equaled to the most weight of 4100 lbs. Now the Chevy 5.3 has 315 HP. If I use 236/4100 = 315/X, X=5472 which is less than what the Chevy extended cab weighs!!!!! I am not sure if this means too much but that sucks! That means that the Tacoma, WITHOUT THE S/C, has an easier time pulling its heaviest model then the Chevy does pulling LESS THAN it's lightest model!?!?!? Now with that same equation and adding the S/C (300 hp) X=4305!!!!!!! :eek: A Chevy will NEVER be that light!!! Am I getting in too the details too much??? I know that the Chevy has more HP but if the HP-Weight ratio is that bad off........ I mean what if after that I add bigger tires??? And bull bars????

IDK! I would love to test drive both but my problem is that right now I am stationed in Japan and will be building my truck for pick up before I leave here. So test driving is kind of not an option. (If anyone with a double cab gets bored and wants to go test drive the Z71 model.....:D)

OH, And I know that this wasn’t the BEST place to post this but this site is not full of people that love Tacoma but also people who have owned others and have real problems with either one!!!

12. Aug 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You need to take into consideration torque more than horsepower. The 5.3 could have 200 horsepower but if it has 400 ft/lbs of torque then it will move the load quite easily.

I also would never buy a vehicle without test driving it. That is a disaster waiting to happen. If you're spending 30k on a new truck you should make sure you really like it.

13. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Thank you. I only have a week between getting to the states and buying my truck but I think you are right... I should drive it first!:cool:

ALSO, why is the towing capacity 1,000 lbs less on the Chevy????? I figured it would defininetly be able to pull more than the Tacoma!

14. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    tacomas suck why would you even consider buying one? waste of money

15. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I like the Chevy trucks, I'd really consider purchasing one if I were looking for a new vehicle. But, given the usage (50% off-roading), I'd take the Tacoma. Add supercharging, which gets you to similar mileage and with higher power/weight ratio on the tacoma, it just makes more sense.

16. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    So, i did the same calc for torque and with the S/C X = 4250 (again chevy will not be that light). Plus with the S/C the Tacoma has 334 lb/ft of torque and the chevy 5.3 only has 338.... even though the Chevy wieghs 1000+ lbs more!!! The main reason i was looking at full size was because I have two kids and one on the way and wanted something with more room but not with a loss of power and handling!!!

Also, I read on the Chevy site that it was going to cost this one guy over 7K for his lift kit!!!! Since they are heavier trucks do the mods actually cost that much more??????? Once I get a new vehicle, I become addicted to making it mine and making it the way I want. But I will need something that is not going to COMPLETELY dry my bank account!

17. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    I have one of each.
    Chevy (1983) and Tacoma (2009) that is. I love both of them and neither fits your question (it's as close as I could get to the answer though).
    The Chevy is a K20 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 and I bought it new in 1983.
    It has about 110k miles and runs like a top.
    It has a 4-speed with compound low and 4WD lo-range transfer case.
    It goes about 3 MPH flat out in the lowest gears.
    [​IMG]

18. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:31 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    i. hate. GM. Transmissions.

unless they're allisions, they're C R A P. the 5 speed auto in these new trucks are amazing. steering's much more precise on the taco and it actually handles very well for a taller vehicle.

taco won't be as roomy and ride as nice as the chevy, but like everyone said it's going to be more reliable and easier to maneuver, offroad etc.

if you need the extra room of the chevy, go buy a tunrda

and the 5.3 is such an archaic motor...

19. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:30 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I still say test drive both even though finding an S/C double cab to test drive is going to be a little difficult. I think your thinking way too much into this horsepower/torque issue. I can tell you both will be comparable in power. It is really going to come down to which will be the most practical for you. I feel the double cab Toyota has plenty of room and power when normally aspirated. Remember also that the supercharger will push you right into premium fuel only.

20. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    FloridaFeMan

FloridaFeMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    '10 FJ Cruiser 4x4, '09 Tacoma TRD DC Sport
    I would never buy a $30,000 + vehicle without test driving it.

Products Discussed in

To Top