1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chevy Silverado or Tacoma S/C

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by MRCapps, Aug 24, 2009.

?

Chevy or Taco

Poll closed Nov 22, 2009.
  1. 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DC Supercharged

106 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. 2010 Chevy Silverado 4X4 LT1 Z71 Ext Cab

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Niether

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I would test drive both used to see how they drive after a couple years of use....Plus you'll see if either of them are rattle traps too.

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    MRCapps

MRCapps [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Thanks guys! I Have driven both in the past! Of course that was about three years ago and they were not the same models I am looking at getting. I really hate that I only have 1 week to buy my truck and if I want the S/C I will have to order it at least three weeks before I leave here. My 2nd truck was a Tacoma 4 cyl two door and even though it was little I LOVED IT!!!! It was the number one reason I want another one (Although now I have two kids and one on the way so i need a bigger one:eek:). My dad has had Chevys my whole life and even he was suggesting the Tacoma! I liked the way his trucks felt but they just werent as nimble as the Tacoma but the Taco just didnt have the power the Chevy had. I also own a '88 Chevy Camaro IROC Z and love it but it seems to be in the shop more than I drive it (same went with my dad's trucks). What about aftermarket prices/availability????

3. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Alot of my friends have Chevy cars and trucks, including their parents. I did notice that their vehicles need alot more work done to them to keep them running. Majority of them have told me that they would love to trade their vehicles for a Taco or a Tundra ever since they have seen what these trucks are capable of (I have an 07 Taco, My dad has an 05 Tundra, oh and my mom has an 05 4runner). I have ordered a few after market parts (tail lights, intake, fog lams, eye lids, HID kit for fogs and head lights, more to come eventually) they are not cheap, beacause the way I see it quality costs. However very easy to find IMO. Hope I helped a little.

4. Aug 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM

20796 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Superior WI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I used to drive a 1999 chevy silverado z71 with a 5.3 and the extended cab. Fairly close to the same truck that you are looking at now (a bit less hp and different front clip + mine was a three not a four door)

That chevy was a darn nice truck. Drove well, plenty of power and would get nearly 17 mpg on the highway and about 13 in town.

I traded that on a 07 grand prix. Big mistake. Trading in the 07 on a 06 double cab trd sport this afternoon.

If you are going to want to tow near towing capicity, or race get the chevy. That the extra power makes a big difference. The chev isn't to bad to park either a bit big but not bad.

Also if going for the chevy. Spend the five bills for a pcm. More power, better shifts, and depending on how you have them tune it better mpg.

Resale and general driveing though the tacoma wins hands down. Check prices on ten year old trucks. Around here a 01 chevy z71 goes for around 7-8 grand gen one taco extended cabs go for 10-12.

5. Aug 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Also if going for the chevy. Spend the five bills for a pcm. More power, better shifts, and depending on how you have them tune it better mpg.

What is a PCM????:confused:

6. Aug 27, 2009 at 4:15 AM

20796 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Superior WI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Double Cab
    The computer that controls the engine and trans.

You can get them custom programed, and it is worth every penny. I had mine tuned for power. Maintained near the same fuel economy, firmer shifts, removed the torque management and gained over 20 hp. Truck was an absolute blast to drive and lit the tires up from a stop like you would not believe.

My moms boyfriend 2000 had his tuned for economy. Still gained a bit of power but it pulling down 20 mpg on the highway. Not to bad for a 6000 pound truck with a v-8 and 3.73's.

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/tuning.htm check out this site. Should give you an idea of what they are and what can be done with them.

7. Aug 27, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    I'm sorry to get of topic.
    Is there a chip like that for the Taco?

8. Aug 27, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Can you get these for Tacomas too????????

9. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Retired GM employee who worked at the plant where the GMC/Chev pu's were built.
    I've seen many many changes in quality monitoring processes, "design for build" - ie fewer parts, and simpler assembly. Changes to manufacturing processes - better dimensional control on welding and assembly. Improvements in paint processes.....

Best way for you to determine is to personally inspect the materials for door panels, upholstry, dash. The engines and trannys are as good if not the best on the market. My Tacoma's auto trans programming is total shit compared to a Gm tranny.

In my (biased) opinion, GM has the best product on the market.

If you are looking at a more base model - GM, Ford, Toyota are all good products. Once you start adding luxury appointments, GM pulls ahead by a fair margin.

Test drive both. I believe you will be surprised to see the GM (full size=good - Colorado is a piece of crap) truck is smoother, and better handing than the Taco.... The Tundra is smoother, quieter, and better handling than the Taco. My choice was MPG for the Taco over the Tundra.
    Chev and GMC dealers couldn't sell me a vehicle.

Problem right now is GM is advertising huge incentives.... try to find one on the lot. You will need to order, and are about a 4 month lead time since they closed a truck plant, and have idled the remaining plants for weeks at a time. The dealer told me the incentive may vanish by the time the vehicle is ready for delivery. Ie wait 4 months and then be told ... sorry - the incentive no longer applies.

10. Aug 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    CyberTron

CyberTron NorCal

Member:
    Tacoma all the way!!

11. Aug 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    duds03tibby

duds03tibby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Rebadged Tiburon 2 Tuscani
    Weapon-R SRI, Unichip Fuel Tuner, 8000K HID, Silver CF Fuel Door, Konig Black Trouble 17x7
    Alright I work on cars and GM's wear and tear items are what breaks early/ like brakes on GM suck 20k miles replace them... But idk...
    I am biased cause I am a Ford Guy yet I drive a Hyundai now... I wouldn't buy a gm unless it was a high end model... STS-V, Corvette, and Such... Plus I think the new GM body style looks like crap... With a nice set of chromies, a small lift with the Extended cab short bed in Silver has been the only one I have seen...

Taco S/C FTW!

12. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    here's a question! Lets say I order the Tacoma I want and then test drive it and decide that I dont want it.....am I going to be obligated to buy it sicnce I had it ordered specificaly the way I wanted???? I think this is my main problem. If I get the Tacoma, I have to order it at least three weeks in advance. If I wait to order it when I get there, I wont have enough time to wait for it to show up!!! So, if I get it made will I have to buy???:confused:

13. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I can already see this is not going to turn out good.

14. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    FloridaFeMan

FloridaFeMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    '10 FJ Cruiser 4x4, '09 Tacoma TRD DC Sport
    You have 2 kids and 1 on the way? I'd think long and hard about a Tacoma over a full size truck unless you don't plan on spending much time in the Tacoma with the family. I have 2 kids and a Tacoma DC. They are 5 and 7. Works ok but we don't travel in it. Would probably be tight with a third kid in there being that you have to factor in either car seats or booster seats until they are a little bigger. Just food for thought.

15. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Well most dealers will require you to put down a deposit, of say, $2000 when you order a vehicle. If you get it, decide you don't want it, then you've lost that $2000 deposit. That's how the get you to lock into the vehicle. Check with your dealer to see wether any fees apply.

16. Aug 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Yeah, that is something i have thought about! I am looking at the Chevy ext cab because even though it is not the crew cab, it still has more room than the tacoma double cab without gaining too much in wheel base!

Anyone in the desert have any experience with the Silverado? I heard they werent that great for sand! I am about to move to the Mojave desert and want something thats not going to get stuck in the sand.

I REALLY wish that chevy or dodge would release a diesel 1500 this year but it doesnt look that way!!! If they would, i would buy that in a split second!

17. Aug 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM

20796 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Superior WI
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Double Cab
    My double cab has a bit more room for passengers than my 99 extended cab silvarado had. Either one will work for small kids but the double cab will be much better for anyone that is a bit larger in size. Granted it is on the small side for adults though.

When it comes down to it though even with the crew and a short box you would be ok with it as far as parking goes. It might take some getting used to but it wont be that bad. I have three other trucks besides my tacoma. A 93 reg cab f-150, a 91 supercab f-250, and a 90 crew cab f-350. the 91 and 93 have eight foot boxes and the 90 has a nine foot dump box and a dully rear. No problems parking with any of them although the crew cab will hang over a bit because of the length. Backing into your spot when possible will also ease parking in my experience.

Just an fyi to give you some perspective on the Tacoma's size. My double cab long bed is a foot or so longer than my 93 regular cab with an 8 foot box.

Just an fyi as well. I replaced the original rear brakes at 90k and the fronts at 125k on my 99. Brake job will run about five hundred bucks to do both ends if you take it to a shop. I did mine myself and spent about the same because I put in hawk pads and power slot rotors.

18. Aug 28, 2009 at 2:52 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    uhhm...why don't you just get a tundra...?

it'll be easier for the kids...gets good mileage for a fullsize and has a hell of a motor...

you might have to give up a few options compared to the Chevy but it is a better truck in general...

and it's still a toyota

19. Aug 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    MRCapps

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Dont get me wrong, I LOVE Toyota, but I have heard way too many bad things about the Tundra!!! Plus the price is way too much!!! I have seen the Tundra horribly fail at a few test where chevy, ford and even dodge did better in.

Also, the reason that I dont want to get too big of a wheel base is for off road reasons

20. Aug 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Umm Ok where's that information from? What problems are they having? I haven't heard of any. My dad has a tundra and its sweet yea its bigger then the chevy, but so much better. He had an 04 silverado and he prefers the tundra. More room and power.

Products Discussed in

To Top