1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

chg plugs/fuel induction

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by nw_taco, May 13, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM

nw_taco [OP] Member

Mar 19, 2010
    (now) Phx, AZ
    04 SR5 4x4 5spd
    question from a noob... oil chgd yesterday, shop says i'm due for new spark plugs & "fuel induction cleaning", $89 and $129 jobs, respectively. got an '04, 2.7 4-banger, 52k miles (bought it at 42k). does this sound right? is this something i can do myself? been a loooong time since high school auto shop but willing to re-learn. appreciate the advice.
  2. May 13, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Barnone Guest

Nice looking low miles first gen you found.
    Yes you can DIY assuming you know how to turn a wrench.
    Do some searches her for info.
  3. May 13, 2010 at 9:57 AM

DGXR Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    First Name:
    Sacramento, CA
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    aFe Pro Dry air filter, magnetic oil drain plug, synthetic seat covers, steering wheel cover
    I thought the 2.7 was scheduled to run 100k on the iridium plugs...? Some here on TW change the plugs sooner but 100k is what I understand from the manual. Yes you can change them yourself and as Barnone sez do some searches, there are DIYs here on TW and the 4-cyl is easy to maintain. Regarding the fuel injection cleaning, there are some products you can pour into the tank that will remove *some* deposits, and some have hooked a vacuum line to a can of seafoam with good results. But word on the street is, the only way to clean the injectors completely is to remove them from the motor and do an ultrasound or sonic-type cleaning, then reinstall. Sounds expensive to me. I don't think there is any reason to have this sonic cleaning done unless you are having problems with idling/running/drivability that are not remedied by some simple troubleshooting (check air filter, plugs, use some pour-in-tank fi cleaner, etc). Hope this helps you.
To Top