1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chickens

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Got2ryde, Oct 25, 2012.

1. May 18, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Martyinco

Martyinco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just learned there was a chicken thread on TW...

Made them a picnic table the other day.

B4478E78-313A-4C17-B452-27EF37C8DD98.jpg F3F71F82-7463-4BD2-85DD-6F7986020896.jpg

shmn, MGMDesertTaco, Merling and 7 others like this.
  2. Apr 7, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    TacoEspecial

TacoEspecial SSSlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    13 Sliver TRD AC
    BAMF RCLT Deaver Fox 2.5 StopTech Dana 60 37s 475:1
    Here's mine.
    Barbie, Skipper, Violet, Olivia and Tulip.
    I have an aviary net for them because we have a few hawks in the neighborhood.
    Along with racoons, skunks and possums.
    Like hanging out with them in the evening, call it chicken tv.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Apr 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    How.many eggs does a chicken hatch in a day? 1

4. Apr 8, 2022 at 7:48 AM
    TacoEspecial

TacoEspecial SSSlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    13 Sliver TRD AC
    BAMF RCLT Deaver Fox 2.5 StopTech Dana 60 37s 475:1
    Some will lay 5-6 per week and others less maybe 1 or 2.
    They lay less as they get older.
    Think they may like 400 eggs in their lifetime.
    We don't use a light, think they lay more regular with a light.

robssol and pinktaco808[QUOTED] like this.
  5. May 25, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    We have eleven laying hens. Six to eight eggs per day (now, will see more as it gets warmer) We do see a dropoff during winter months. We use a light more for heat than eggs as they still lay more than enough for us. Now a pic.
    4DFC27B5-C078-4971-BB07-B4A3C54167A6.jpg
    She patrols the property every day then sits by the back door waiting for us to socialize.

6. Jun 1, 2022 at 6:31 PM
    Nonactualnameluc

Nonactualnameluc Active Member

Member:
    Stay as natural as possible, I won't use any chemicals when raising them. Me and my friend made everything them need on our own.

7. Jun 1, 2022 at 6:43 PM
    Merling

Merling Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tacoma TRD OR
    RCI IFS Skid Eibach Stage 2 Explore Overland Sliders
    This is so cute. Sent it to my girlfriend and now I'm pretty sure I got a project before the silkies arrive in August

8. Jun 3, 2022 at 12:22 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    I enjoy reading the posts. My nephew (staying with us for a year now, grad from college) wanted a break.
    We live on a Coffee farm, Feb)/March? 2022 he order 60 chicks USPS, ship to Hawaii. 57 survive.
    In a couple of weeks maybe less , waiting for the eggs (purchase egg layer feed)

We slaughtered 7 chickens, froze some , ate the rest. First time for him and my son. They found stepping on the chicken head, holding the body and pull. Head comes right off, NO sufferings. Then we use a cone to drain the blood. They were surprised how easy to remove the chicken heads, fast ! To removed the feathers, dip in hot water, (not boiling) pull off, quick and easy. Gutting from the bottom up.

We do let the chickens roam, but we watch for the Hawaiian Hawks & mongoose. Loss two too the Hawks, one to the mongoose. Chickens loves scraps foods too. We also feed them fruits from the farm, bananas, mangos, papayas, guavas,and some how the chicken are getting into our fence garden’s, feeding there too.

it has been fun for sure, so far! The amount we spent on feed, fencing , etc. we could have brought 40 Costco chickens by now. Lol

9. Aug 9, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 2.7L 5sp
    We've been raising chickens for eggs for about 17 years now and they are a constant source of amusement and pleasure. Many of the chickens have distinct personalities and can be quite endearing. We usually keep from 20-30 birds at a time with 1-3 roosters.

A couple of years ago we had a Speckled Sussex just up an disappear. No sign whatsoever. We loose birds to raptors (Eagles, Hawks) and Ravens (they are huge around here...stand about 2ft tall) and usually there is evidence of a scuffle but there was no sign...she up an disappeared.

Two weeks later we are sitting in our hot-tub in the evening and I hear some chirping coming from under the deck. I had to unscrew some board and sure enough the Speckled Sussex was under there with about 12 baby chicks. She had made a nest of the weed barrier cloth and hatched all but one egg. We transferred her and her chicks to our "nursery coop" set aside raising chicks away from the flock.

P1000217.jpg P1000220.jpg P1000227.jpg P1000246.jpg

truchador likes this.
  10. Aug 9, 2022 at 1:47 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    Raising chickens is fun , each chicken do have there one personality. We are slowly getting eggs almost daily. We let them free roam, often having to search where the eggs are layed.

We also enjoy eating fresh chicken meats. Free roaming , no chemicals.
    There has been a hawk coming around a few times this week, Amazing how all the birds hide. The wild parrots will harass and chase the hawks away.

when the Myna birds are around they will squawk loudly , giving a warning the hawk is around. I hear them now.

Raising your own chickens for eggs and meat, is a good thing. Plus nice to watch them roam around.

shakerhood likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top