1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

choosing a DIFFERENTIAL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomakid, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mar 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM
    tacomakid

tacomakid [OP] Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma pre-runner
    3" revtek lift (6" lift coming soon), Rancho RS5000 shocks, magnaflow catback, K&N intake.
    Ive been looking at different types and brands of differentials and i cant really decide which to choose because i dont have anything to base my choice on.

im leaning more towards a performance LSD than a selectable locker, but not sure yet.

any suggestions on brands and types of lockers or lsd?

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What do you need it for?
    What performance are you expecting to get from them?

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    tacomakid

tacomakid [OP] Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma pre-runner
    3" revtek lift (6" lift coming soon), Rancho RS5000 shocks, magnaflow catback, K&N intake.
    i just want added traction for all-around off-roading. but my plan is to get some long travel suspension n run on old fire roads in the mountains and also run desert trails. so i just want lots of traction especially since its a pre-runner. i still want street drivability tho. so i dont want a full time locker.

ive heard of those automatic lockers... how do those work? n wuts the difference between a spool and mini-spool? wuts the performance difference?

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I'd recommend a selectable locker. I'm a fan of ARB, great product, real popular, real expensive. I've ridden in a couple of rigs with a full time LSD and I just don't like the way it feels, kinda jerky and seems to engage at weird times... but still better than nothing. Although, since you are wanting to run higher speeds an LSD can give you better control around turns and whatnot because it will let one wheel coast if it needs to whereas a locker will keep both wheels moving at the same speed always. Do not get a full time locker if you want to keep street driveability.

5. Nov 4, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    If i want a LSD do i need to change out the whole axle? or can just change out the diff.
    :threadjacked:I didn't want to start a whole other thread on this

6. Nov 4, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    As long as you don't have the elocker, you can just change out the carrier.

7. Nov 4, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Do you know a good site where i can get one?

To Top