1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chopping the exhaust

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by LOLLY, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:05 AM
    LOLLY

LOLLY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfredo
    Norwalk, CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport (RIP) Now '21 TRD Off-Road
    I'm posting this in here because California has some of the most strict rules so I would like some local personal experiences.

My exhaust tip started to rust so I painted it and now the rust is coming through the paint. It was a lazy job with lazy prep work since I just wanted to not see the rust. Now I want to cut my exhaust right after the rear axle where it points downward. I've seen many other people do this and I can do it myself.

My question is, has anyone ran into any issues with smog shops?

2. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    It isn't a problem, doesn't effect emissions.

3. Oct 28, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    dumontrider

dumontrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    anything after the cats is fair game for SMOG, anything after the muffler is fair game for SMOG & local law. Choose accordingly :sawzall:

4. Oct 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM
    LOLLY

LOLLY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfredo
    Norwalk, CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport (RIP) Now '21 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks guys. I just want to take off some of the pipe. The muffler and cat is going to remain untouched.

5. Oct 30, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Anything AFTER the catalytic converter/O2 sensor is good-to-go. You may get a smog shop that doesn't want to do the extra work to get the enema pipe in place. You still won't fail.

Just know with the exhaust dumped under the truck you're gonna get more sound inside the cab.

6. Jan 16, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Zebinator

Zebinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    How 'bout a pic!?

I'm about to do this but am going to (maybe) weld an elbow section on to aim the exhaust down and out, away from the 255/85-16 I'm trying to fit under there.

7. Jan 16, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Cutting it after the axle is no problem for smog, as long as you have a decent muffler on there shouldn't run into trouble with the law either.

8. Feb 4, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I cut mine after the axle with my spare tire off, but I cut it too short. It burns my 265 75 16 spare tire, so I had to add a stupid tip. Will get a more permanent solution welded on at a later date. But don't do like I did, measure twice, cut once.

Zebinator likes this.
  9. Feb 4, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    That tip isn't awful...

Trowbocop likes this.
  10. Feb 5, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    Zebinator

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    This is the exact image I'd been hoping to find. Thank you! I'm trying to shoe horn a 285/55-16 in there and need to chop the exhaust and hanger, and was wondering if i would need to divert the exhaust. Got my answer thank you! I'm going to try to weld on a piece of what I chop off for the elbow...

Trowbocop[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 5, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    Zebinator

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Decided to get this done this weekend as I am tired of driving around with the spare rattling around in the trunk. (No pun intended) After taking a look under the truck, i decided it would be easier to just pop the rear exhaust section out and cut and re-weld in the shop. Plus, it's kind of nasty out at the moment and my shop is warm...

If i did this again, I'd consider buying a couple replacement bolts and the exhaust gasket for reassembly. I almost didn't get the bolts out - they were super stuck. Even with penetrating grease, one of the bolts started bending. But, a bit of tapping and whacking and they both finally loosened. Next I squirted the rubber thingies with some soapy water and pried them off. Kind of a pain in the butt. A channel lock was pretty useful for pushing them over the barb.

Into the garage.

I marked where I wanted to cut when everything was still on the truck. The abrasive saw is perfect for this.

Next, cut off a bent section from the end of the tail pipe I'd just cut off. Also, thought the little heat shield might come in handy, so I popped it off for later. Then lined everything up and tacked the bent bit on. The tailpipes were very not-round so all the clamps are to try to get the two very not-round pieces to sort of line up.

Back on the truck for a quick test fit, then back in the garage for welding and some weld-clean up. I wish I still had a TIG setup. I'm not so good making pretty welds with the MIG.

Got it back installed with the old gasket and old bolts...

Test fit the spare and at least the tailpipe bracket isn't interfering! Just need to work on the spare carrier. Will save that for a sunny day.

This only took a couple hours!

Quakes15, REDdawn6, LOLLY[OP] and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top