1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chopping the tacoma exhaust

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nglescobar1992, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Oct 7, 2019 at 6:04 AM
    badkids

badkids Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘83 Hilux with a 2JZ
    Ok, everyone relax. I decided to do some research to help with this very critical life threatening decision. Below is all the information you need to determine if chopping your exhaust is worth your life.

Carbon Monoxide:

Q.
    DO I NEED A CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM? AND WHERE SHOULD IT BE INSTALLED?
    A.

• Every home with at least one fuel-burning appliance/heater, attached garage or fireplace should have a CO alarm.
    • If the home has only one CO alarm, it should be installed in the main bedroom or in the hallway outside of the sleeping area.
    • An alarm should be installed on every level of the home and in sleeping areas.
    • Place the alarm at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
    • Make sure nothing is covering or obstructing the unit.
    • Do not place the unit in dead air spaces or next to a window or door.
    • Test the CO alarm monthly by pressing the test/reset button.
    • Every month, unplug the unit and vacuum with a soft brush attachment or wipe with a clean, dry cloth to remove accumulated dust.
    Q.
    ARE THERE ANY STEPS I CAN TAKE TO PREVENT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING?
    A.

• Properly equip your home with CO alarms on every level and in sleeping areas. The only safe way to detect CO in your home is with a working CO alarm.
    • Annually, have the heating system, vents, chimney and flue inspected by a qualified technician.
    • Regularly examine vents and chimneys for improper connections, visible rust and stains.
    • Install and operate appliances according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    • Only purchase appliances that have been approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
    • Never use a gas range/stove to heat the home.
    • Never leave your car idling in a closed garage or use fuel-powered appliances or tools in enclosed, attached areas such as garages or porches. CO can seep into your home through vents and doors.
    Q.
    WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF CARBON MONOXIDE EXPOSURE?
    A.

• Common Mild Exposure: A slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, flu-like symptoms.
    • Common Medium Exposure: A severe headache, drowsiness, confusion, fast heart rate.
    • Common Extreme Exposure: Convulsions, unconsciousness, brain damage, heart and lung failure followed by death.
    • If you experience even mild CO poisoning symptoms, immediately consult a physician.
    Q.
    WHAT ARE CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING SYMPTOMS?
    A.

Initial symptoms are similar to the flu without a fever and can include dizziness, severe headaches, nausea, sleepiness, fatigue/weakness and disorientation/confusion.

Q.
    WHERE DOES CARBON MONOXIDE COME FROM?
    A.

• Any fuel-burning appliance that is malfunctioning or improperly installed.
    • Furnaces, gas range/stove, gas clothes dryer, water heater, portable fuel-burning space heaters, fireplaces, generators and wood burning stoves.
    • Vehicles, generators and other combustion engines running in an attached garage.
    • Blocked chimney or flue.
    • Cracked or loose furnace exchanger.
    • Back-drafting and changes in air pressure.
    • Operating a grill in an enclosed space.

[​IMG]

* Unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning is defined by International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision codes X47 (underlying cause of death) and T58 (toxic effect of carbon monoxide as multiple-cause-of-death).

During 2010–2015, a total of 2,244 deaths resulted from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, with the highest numbers of deaths each year occurring in winter months. In 2015, a total of 393 deaths resulting from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning occurred, with 36% of the deaths occurring in December, January, or February.

Rocks: I also took the time to see how many people are killed by rocks each year to help with this decision. However, rocks seem unmotivated to kill people unlike carbon monoxide, I could only specifically identify groups of rocks attacking together. An average of 25-50 people are killed by landslides each year in the United States. The worldwide death toll per year due to landslides is in the thousands. Most landslide fatalities are from rock falls, debris-flows, or volcanic debris flows.

Twenty three people were killed, at least 167 injured, and more than 400 homes were damaged by a series of debris flows that impacted the California community of Montecito in Santa Barbara County on January 9, 2018. The debris flows were triggered by heavy rain that fell on steep hillsides that had been burned by the Thomas Wildfire, which at that time was the largest wildfire in California history.

Conclusion: Rocks can be dangerous too.

Sources: National Vital Statistics System. Mortality public use data files, 2016. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/vitalstatsonline.htm.
    https://carbonmonoxidefacts.com/carbon-monoxide-faq/
    https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-many-...s_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

2. Oct 7, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    nglescobar1992

nglescobar1992 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    boogers
    Vehicle:
    2019 tacoma
    oem
    I guess I am keep the exhaust the way it is :/

3. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    badkids

badkids Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘83 Hilux with a 2JZ
    :(

4. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    First mod I did the morning after I drove mine home. Second mod was removing the folding bed step.

Hobbs[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    Stacks.

Hofmann’s Tacos likes this.
  6. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Just sayin', but idling in your garage with the door closed is gonna be bad no matter what you do.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    badkids likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    i've had the exhaust chopped on my truck(s) for the last 10 years and have not died yet.

you are outside, not in a close space. the gasses dissipate around the truck. this is also under the bed NOT the cab. any gasses that were to get trapped and head towards the cab would exit in the space between the bed and cab.

MBRP, Magnaflow, and several other name brand exhaust companies make systems that dump in this same location.

don't be scurred. chop your exhaust. be happy.

8. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Axle dumps while I agree do offer increased clearance for wheeling looks ghetto to me. It seems like it's incomplete by dumping it off the way that it is and on top of that will have more drone by default due to the muffler sound waves having less distance to travel before dump off. Also, yes, there an increase in potential of CO inhalation. Which is never cool.

You got a nay from me for it.

Vmax540 likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 SSM Access Cab
    Nah, you need a black chrome exhaust tip. :thumbsup:

10. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Vmax540

Vmax540 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Clarion PA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4X4 Access Cab Blue
    Inspection station...?

11. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    gmtech

gmtech Well-Known Member

Member:
    quad cities illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd or
    Stock AF
    soo I guess the real question is when is everyone going to band together and call our law makers and ban carbon monoxide?!??! and or heavily regulate it! cause this is scary stuff. WE need to know who has it and how much they have of it!

ericvega, Two Tons and Stoked like this.
  12. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    I've always wonder how Tacoma would look like with bedside exit exhaust ( hole cut thru the side panel) then put a stainless steel trim ring around the perimeter of the hole

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  13. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    Brofessor

Brofessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    probably pretty bad ass.

14. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    There has been a couple posted. I think one was in the True Crawling thread?

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  15. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    one of the top three mods on my truck, Tony. not cheap and a bit of work to install but it's earned its position. do it if you can make it happen.

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks!

It will happen down the road and would be fun to get the angle grinder out. Probably after the bumper-to-bumper warranty is expired.

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    and when combined with the Marlin HD frame braces and E tires the package gets strong both front & rear and you'll feel like you're actually driving a truck. :D

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    That has been one of the weird things with the Taco, it doesn't feel like a truck other than the bed shimmy. With the current mods, it feels like a tall and very capable car. Borrowing and riding in Big3 pickups and a couple Nissans and 1st Gens, the 2nd and 3rd Gens seem to be able to blur the lines for daily driving and still be fun. If there was one thing that I would really like, it would be heavier steering with a bit more road feel. But as was said by others, it shines offroad, so I can abide.

19. Oct 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    Definitely wouldn't fly in Va. They have to enact rules in that state to protect people for their own poor decisions. Personally I think it is destroying Darwinism.

MtnFisher and Tullie D like this.
  20. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    singletrack_ftw

singletrack_ftw “I chopped the wrong leaf!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD OR 4wd
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/singletrack’s-‘dad-shred-build-thread’-i’m-just-doing-it-for-the-kids.619250/ Sos offroad sliders (kickout + filler) Sos offroad full belly skids (steel) Sos offroad front recovery point Sos offroad concepts HC rear bumper with bedside kickout tubes Marlin Crawler LCA frame brace kit Trail Gear rear diff cover Bilstein 5100 + OME 885 Total Chaos UCA BILSTEIN b110 OME Dakar standard pack Wheelers Ubolt flip kit Wheelers Superbump f/r Wheelers SS extended brake lines FN five star 16x8 -25 Milestar Patagonia MT 315/75r16 Custom projector retrofit (acme super h1 + morimoto 4300k) Baja Designs S2 sport ditch pods on CBI ditch pod mounts Amazon AMAK rock lights CMC CB radio hardmount
    I hear what you’re saying but I only thing it’s applicable if the truck is running in a garage.

look at the fifth GEN four runner, that exhaust is immediately beneath the rear hatch, and if the rear hatch glass is lowered, you could argue that it poses the same risks as an exhaust under the bed of a truck. The exhaust on 4runners is directly under a window that is often open or cracked. That leads directly into the cab

Products Discussed in

To Top