1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

chosing the right wheels and tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ehcsula, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    ehcsula

ehcsula [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT PRERUNNER DOUBLE CAB
    -5100 Bilstiens all around -Street Scene Speed Grille (Powder Coated Black) -Bed Mat -Huskey Floor Mats -Tail Gate Lock w/ Camera -TRD Skid Plate -N-Fab Light Bar -BFG A/T TO 265/70/17
    Nice truck DASLER. I also like the chrome/black look too.

2. Jan 8, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Well It depends on what kind of driving you do and what type of terrain your ganna be driving on. So If its mostly highway, and you see some snow and dirt/mud. But mostly highway. Then a good A/T is what you want. Like the well liked Nitto Terra Grappler.

But Its really up to you on what kind of tire you want. A/T or M/T.

And sorry to hear about the wheel fittment, that sucks they wont do that. And the people you talked to at the tire shop, dont know what there talking about. I usually dont listen to those idiots! The stock BS is 5.5" and a 4.5" will work just fine. And you should have no problems fitting a 16" wheel.

Oh, and whats the reason why your going with 16? just wondering...:)

3. Jan 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Ive been doing some reading on a couple forums, and quite a few people have had problems fitting the M/T 16's on there trucks. Soo I would play it safe and wait to hear back from them.

4. Jan 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    -5100 Bilstiens all around -Street Scene Speed Grille (Powder Coated Black) -Bed Mat -Huskey Floor Mats -Tail Gate Lock w/ Camera -TRD Skid Plate -N-Fab Light Bar -BFG A/T TO 265/70/17
    Actually I have 17x7.5 right now, but them idiots say that I should go with 8" wide so that I won't have any problems.

I just found out Pro Comp Series 6079 (17x9, 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern, Backspace 4.75" Offset -6) I could go with a tire size of 265/70/17. What do you guys think? do you think 9" wide would be a mistake or stick with 8"?

5. Jan 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    bwhit

bwhit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Double Cab
    I put the AR black teflon wheels on my 07 with a billstein 2.5" lift upfront and TSB with the AAL in the rear. The wheels are 16" with 4.5" backspacing and a 0 offset. Tires are a TOYO M/T 265/75/16. I had some rubbing in the front end on the plastic wheel well on steep angle of departure while the wheel was cranked. Not bad...I trimmed a little plastic and haven't heard it since.

I don't think your going to get that look with the 265/75/16's. That picture looked like 285's or they had an offset that set the tires out a little.

6. Jan 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Do you think Pro Comp Series 6079 (17x9, 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern, Backspace 4.75" Offset -6) would rub or give me problems?

Is it better to go with 16 or 17 wheels?

7. Jan 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    bwhit

bwhit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Double Cab
    You are going to have to find somebody that is running that offset on their truck. I have a 0 offset. I would imagine that the greater the negative offset the more clearance you will have and less rubbing. (neg. number offsets push your wheel to the outside I believe) All I can tell you for sure is what I have seems to work. This picture was taken when the Billy's were set to 1.75 and no AAL. I had some rubbing so I bumped it all the way up to 2.5. Still had rubbing so I trimmed the inner wheel well. Very Minor.

[​IMG]

8. Jan 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Wow! that is a nice ride. Sorry for not responding quick. I just found out Helo was look a like wheel. Helo Series HE821 Wheel (17x8, 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern, Backspace 6.07" Offset 0mm. I think this might work. Toyota backspace is 5.5". not sure about the offset, but it worked for you. i never thought getting wheels adn tires would be this hard. i am learning a lot and a little over whelmed. it builts character.
    thanks.

9. Jan 9, 2010 at 3:23 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    PM Fire931 (Kevin). I think he's running the 16" MT's and said they barely fit. I'm running the 17's with a different offset and they didn't fit, but I MADE them fit! When you buy the MT's they say on the box to do a fit check before installing the tires. I did this and got a slight scrape. Others have installed them and said you can barely fit a piece of paper between the caliper and the wheel. It all depends is probably the best answer...

10. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    I am thinking of going with 17" wheels.

Dr. Rabitfurhead, you got 17" m/t and how did you make them fit? What offset and backspacing do you have?

11. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I think most people have to grind the caliper a little in order to clear. Or get some wheel spacers. But I think the 17" Pro Comps are your best bet for fitting.

12. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Cwhitt09taco

Cwhitt09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Tacoma TRD Offroad 4wd
    Stock for now. Bfg at's, aries bull bar, aries nerf bars, uws tool box.
    Subscribed

13. Jan 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    shaving the caliper, would that void my warrenty?

14. Jan 11, 2010 at 2:23 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Yes it would. Also, you may have 0.040" before you shave THROUGH the caliper and brake fluid runs down your caliper. I shaved through mine and it cost me $330 plus my own labor, fluid and renting a bleeding kit to get the job done. You have to order the caliper, pay for shipping and are w/o transportation for a week so I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT shave your caliper. After I reported what happened to me, several others chimed in and it happened to them too.

The inexpensive way to go about things is to buy 2 lug centric wheel spacers custom made for the Tacoma. I paid $100 shipped for billet aluminum (not cast junk) from http://www.wheeladapter.com/
    The guy is in CA and he made them quick! I got the thinnest spacers he makes (5mm or ~.200") That buys you more clearance for the caliper, helps more with cooling and I've never had a rock stuck between the wheel and caliper with the spacers.

15. Jan 11, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    This link is DEFINITELY worth a read. It has pictures of the caliper I trashed and a bunch of links to the final solution... Enjoy.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302265&highlight=caliper

Rrereading this thread pisses me off. I've got admins telling me to shave my calipers, people criticizing me to "search", etc... They all had no idea what the heck they were talking about so PAY ATTENTION to the key posts and don't get caught up in all the BS at the beginning of the thread.

16. Jan 11, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    This helped clarify a lot of confussion. I think i will go the inexpensive way with the adopters. The .5mm spacers as you said should give me the clearence I need for a 17x9 wheel (Backspace 4.75" Offset -6) or should i go a little bigger?

Dr. Rabitfurhead, I am new to this and I know I have rookie questions. I am learning a lot, but there is some confussion. so thanks for helping me out and your patience.
    That goes for everyone also.

17. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    I don't mind helping but this is really quite simple. Google "wheel backspace" and click on the first link that pops up... https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
    You see that for a certain wheel width and BS you get the offset. Also they are 5.0mm spacers not 0.5mm spacers. It would be impossible to hold the spacer and mill/grind it down much past 5mm, even using double sided tape. :cool:

The more negative your offset, the more the wheel is pushed out from the center of the truck. If I'm reading the page right, spacers add NEGATIVE offset.

18. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    ehcsula

Member:
    First Name:
    eh
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Hello everyone. I finally got wheels for my truck. I played it safe for until the warranty is over. I ended up getting Sequoia's 17" hyper Silver wheels from their limited Edition. I really loved how it came out. All I need now the tires. I am debating with BFG A/T KO, Hankook, Duelers or see what T-World recommends.

thanks again guys and I have kept your messages for when I get the wheels I truly want. So please advice me on the tires.

I attached a photo of my tuck, but I chaned the grill. I will post and update picture when it stops raining.
    thanks
    ehcsula

tacoma_eh.jpg

19. Jan 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Nice! great choice man!

Many people love the BFG AT's, but I personally dont care for them. Well they do good in wet weather and on road driving. But not that great in snow and mud. They fling rocks like crazy too.
    My next set will be the Hankook MT's. they get great reviews!

20. Jan 19, 2010 at 3:49 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    How did you get those wheels? I tried to get a pair for my wife's 2001 Sequoia for months before finally giving up. I was going to pay upwards of $700 for a set about 6 months ago and gave up and kept the 16's and got new tires instead.

Products Discussed in

To Top