1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Christmas Eve a paid holiday?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by trtripoli, Dec 15, 2008.

?

Is Christmas Eve as a paid holiday?

1. Yes

44.6%
  2. No

55.4%
  1. Dec 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    We get Christmas Eve & Christmas, New Years Eve & New years as paid holidays. When I work one of these I get double time & a half. :D Plus shift diff.

2. Dec 15, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    For the 1st time ever my company is letting people use a sick day for the 26th. They will also allow it on Jan 2nd. They sent out an email saying do to hard times they are allowing this one time deal.

3. Dec 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    geerts016

geerts016 geerts016

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SR5 4x4
    alpine 9884 deck, auxilary LED backup lights, alpine 6x9's, alpine 6's, rockford p1000 amp, two rockford p2 10" subs, seat heaters, deezee tool box painted BSP, aero 2525 exhaust, halo projector headlights, LED light strip in hood scoop, black mesh grill, tinted taillights, window visors
    +1
    ibew #354

4. Dec 15, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    wushaw

wushaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD 4x4 6sp
    No xmas eve here just the standard xmas day if you work in a different department or it falls on your weekend like it has for me this year.
    This will be the first year in many years I get xmas day off since it fell on my weekend.

5. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:16 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    I get X-mas eve and X-mas day paid. Also New Yrs eve and New years day off paid. Then the whole bottling line shuts down for the 2 weeks and then I use 4 days of Vac to have 2 weeks off with them. :D

6. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    thats the first Ive heard of that. My squadron is saying all we get off is xmas eve and day

7. Dec 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    The company I work for now gives Christmas Eve off.......it's the FIRST company I ever worked for that does this.

I also get the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday.

8. Dec 16, 2008 at 3:18 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's a paid holiday for me....but not for my husband.

He makes up for it on Black Friday - he gets paid off while I don't.

We also get New Years Eve & Day paid.

I'm sure sooner or later, my company will take away Christmas Eve & New Years Eve as HOlidays. It's only a matter of time.

9. Dec 16, 2008 at 3:27 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I'm not the typical rotating shift LEO...i work M-F like most of the rest of yall...and I'll be working Christmas eve, but I have Christmas Day and the Day after paid holidays off...

Several of the local jurisdictions around here (city/county etc) have it written into their codes that you get 2 days off for Christmas...Christmas day and either Eve or the day after...just depends on when it falls as to which one youre getting...Christmas eve tho, is one of those days where an awful lot of people take leave/PTO and so it'll be like a holiday...only im not being lazy and curled in bed...

The state just passed something a couple weeks ago...SC state employees are getting the 24, 25, AND 26 as paid holidays as its cheaper to do that then to have state offices open on the 24th.

10. Dec 16, 2008 at 3:56 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I get double time and a half for working a holiday and regular pay if I'm off. I get Thanksgiving and the day after as family day, Christmas day, New Years Day. I also get paid for Halloween since it is a state holiday in NV as NV Day. I don't usually get them off unless its my RDO since we operate 24/7. I get a bonus paid day off for my birthday also and we get 2 paid time off days a month which is about 220hours a year. I also get shift diff since I'm on graves.
    I have County job benefits, no state tax, no social security, 100% paid medical.
    I'm grateful for my job :D.

11. Dec 16, 2008 at 4:12 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Ive been with my current company for about 5 years now...Our christmas holiday is awesome...We usually get from the 24th to Jan 2nd off...But this year, we have to work on christmas eve for some reason...but we get 25th - Jan 4th off...PAID...

I love my job...Only downside is during the year, how everybody (government) gets off all those small holidays...like presidents day, MLK day, veterens day, Columbus day, etc...We have to work...But im a support technician for the government, so we work, but the gov has a holiday...so there is nobody here...lol

12. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    kilted1117

kilted1117 I smell corn

Member:
    First Name:
    Gophuk Yousef
    Valparaiso, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5 4dr Magnetic Grey
    Zippo.
    Nope, more than full time, actually. We're a dialysis company so we can't really close for things. The holidays we do get off we're open on the Sunday before to make up for it.

13. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:01 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Burnt it all on vacations and hunting. And yeah, your exactly right about the "bend the rules" which I was banking on. I guess I loose, and will be working. I guess at least Christmas is paid.

14. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:08 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I voted yesterday... Don't get the day off here... Usually a mild early release though... However, the President gave me the day after Xmas off... That was dope!!

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary
    (College Station, Texas)

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

CLOSING OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
    OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 26, 2008

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as
    follows:

Section 1. All executive branch departments and agencies of the Federal Government shall be closed and their employees excused from duty on Friday, December 26, 2008, the day after Christmas Day, except as provided in section 2 of this order.

Sec. 2. The heads of executive branch departments and agencies may determine that certain offices and installations of their organizations, or parts thereof, must remain open and that certain employees must report for duty on December 26, 2008, for reasons of national security or defense or other public need.

Sec. 3. Friday, December 26, 2008, shall be considered as falling within the scope of Executive Order 11582 of February 11, 1971, and of 5 U.S.C. 5546 and 6103(b) and other similar statutes insofar as they relate to the pay and leave of employees of the United States.

Sec. 4. This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity, by any party against the United States, its agencies, instrumentalities, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,
    December 12, 2008.

15. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:36 AM
    rlanicek

rlanicek Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    My employer closes from 24 Dec through 1 Jan. Paid time off.

16. Dec 16, 2008 at 8:44 AM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    I get the 24th, 25th and 1st off so I used the remainder off my personal days on the Fridays, 26th and 2nd (2009 personal day actually), and my remaining vacation to fill the gap. So I essentially have the 24th-4th off, paid. Then again I am salaried. The engineer I am training to replace/work under/work with took the same schedule off. Now all of our plant contractors and technicians are asking what they should do. He just threw his hands up and shrugged his shoulders. Last year when I was an intern we just watched movies on the 40" main display.

At the ski resort, we were required to work Christmas Day. It was one of the busiest days with many Chinese and Jewish guests. But now I only work there Saturdays or at my leisure. I

17. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:23 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I've always had Christmas Eve off, but my father and brother (both work at the same company) are getting Christmas Day and the day after. I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Of course, most people (the bosses) take vacation on the 26th around here, so I can come in early and ease out mid-afternoon to get a full day on Friday. Sometimes a relaxed, early day is as good as a vacation day (only w/o reducing the vacay balance).

18. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    the company i work for always gives us paid time off from christmas to newyears. this year, however, we are also getting paid for dec 24 and jan 2

19. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    get this bullshit, not only is xmas eve not a paid holiday, but neither is the day after or the day after new years. but the plant i work at is closed. so i cant come into work. so i HAVE to use vacation days even though the plant is closed and i cant come in, even if i wanted to. i'm fuckin pissed!

20. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    My company has 13 paid holidays a year. We always get Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Years, New Years Eve, Labor Day, and a ton others. Gotta love working for the man!

Products Discussed in

To Top