1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Christmas soon - Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Scoobarooo, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Sep 7, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Scoobarooo

Scoobarooo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 DCSB TRD OR
    3" OME/Bilstein, Retrofits, Custom Bed rack/Toolbox, Amsoil Everything, tons of others.
    Christmas is coming up here pretty soon and the only thing I asked my dad for was some sound in my truck. I don't want any trimming done though. I have an '02 DCSB. I'd like it hidden behind my rear seats. That is, a Subwooferby the way.

OR

I'd enjoy doing speakers instead so that I don't have a need for a subwoofer. Or both?

I don't want ridiculous bass. I listen to country and classic rock so moderate bass would be greatly enjoyed.

Any advice you guys can give me is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Casey

2. Sep 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    Zmille

Zmille Salsa Shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    15' 4x4 ac 4banger
    Have been thinking the same thing. Had a nice balanced sound system in my last vehicle and kinda miss it. Not looking for a ton of thump but a little bit of something. Any suggestions?

3. Sep 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    everything depends on budget,
    figure out what that is then we can suggest the best equipment within that budget range

4. Sep 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    Scoobarooo

Scoobarooo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 DCSB TRD OR
    3" OME/Bilstein, Retrofits, Custom Bed rack/Toolbox, Amsoil Everything, tons of others.
    Well it's a Christmas idea for my dad. My dad always buys quality stuff though. I don't know if that'll help at all

5. Sep 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    Zmille

Zmille Salsa Shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    15' 4x4 ac 4banger
    Probably not too much more than 500 total just wondering were the best places are to mount subs, amps and wires.

6. Sep 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Subs: behind rear seats (where mine are), under rear seats
    Amps: behind rear seats, driver side
    Wires: underneath door panel, under carpet following center console
    Knukonceptz sells wires CHEAP, @manethon sells quality speakers my k62's are KILLING IT. If they're too much for your budget i'm sure he can direct you towards something that will fit.

7. Sep 14, 2015 at 7:36 PM
    Zmille

Zmille Salsa Shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    15' 4x4 ac 4banger
    Ac or Dc?

8. Sep 14, 2015 at 7:44 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    @Zmille he has a DC but the equipment will be the same for a AC generally speaking. We have have to use maybe a single 10 vs 2 8s or even a 12 inch in a centre console box. There is allot that can be done

9. Sep 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    deckeda

deckeda Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Casey, our 1st Gen Double Cabs have the least amount of available space of any Tacoma for a subwoofer. Nothing that fits in anyone's 2nd Gen Double Cab or whatever will fit behind our rear seats. You might be able to install a compact amplified sub under a front seat, or one under each but be aware the floor areas aren't flat. Stuff's under there.

This great thread outlines the 2 available aftermarket sub boxes. You would of course supply drivers that fit and the rest. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...rew-cab-subwoofer-enclosure-comparison.343119

I'd get the head unit and door speakers squared away before worrying about a sub, but there's a million way you could go about this. Yes, with better door speakers, properly amplified, your mid bass quality (and quantity) would increase to the point where you might not miss a sub. I'm NOT saying you'd get as much bass as a sub might make, but with the core sound supplied you might not miss it. Make sense?

I'm in process of re-doing my '04 and subs aren't in my budget -- like you I'd need then behind the back seats. I have some old component 6.5" I'm putting in the fronts and moving the front OEM component speakers to the rear doors. Why? Because the OEM front components in my '04 have pretty good mid bass and that's really all I care about for the rear doors.

More details about all of that in my rambling thread here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/1st-gen-stereo-installation.390937/ Which reminds me, I gotta get back out there and do some work!

10. Aug 29, 2016 at 3:32 PM
    Whitetailseeker

Whitetailseeker Member

Member:
    Southeast Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top