1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chromolly vs mild steel - Interlocking Tube Clamps

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Cadmus, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Mar 26, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    Cadmus

Cadmus [OP] Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    I need some of these:
    https://www.4wheelparts.com/Body-Pa...x?t_c=81&t_s=493&t_pt=4743&t_pn=TGI180112-KIT
    I see better designs on ebay for cheaper. But i lean towards going with trailgear's product only because i assume this product will be available unchanged (same dimensions) and compatible with older bungs in the years to come. Is that a safe assumption?
    I honestly don't like welding different alloys. I prefer mild steel tube clamps. Has anyone welded this product? any problems?
    Addition of molybdenum and chromium is always cited as improving strength and sometimes corrosion resistance. I could see mild advantage to using the chromoly if it will resist corrosion of threads as the components will not always be attached to the truck. Is there really any corrosion resistance? i see chromolly bikes rot out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 26, 2018 at 6:22 AM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Also, I will have to paint the interlocking components. It is not for a cage, just for a hang glider rack, not on in the winter. Are the tolerances on these such that paint will ruin the fit of the threads or the fit of the interlocking groves? What is an alternative?

3. May 4, 2018 at 11:53 PM
    Andre1080

Andre1080 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    18 ProTaco
    Chromoly, typically 4130 4140 doesn’t contain enough chromium to provide adequate corrosion resistance. As for weldability, it’s classified as good I believe but in some cases requires pre heat and post heat. TIG is probably best process to use. A little bit trickier than mild steel

4. May 5, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    The tolerances are loose enough that paint wont cause and alignment issue. However, the paint may not stay in place or may cause it to stick when separating the joint. I am using some Ebay ones. There is also a company, I think TMR, that makes them with bolts on the same side, also some with integrated tubing section on one side. A little more expensive, but nice.
    20180406_145030.jpg

5. May 5, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Thanks for the response @windsor and @Andre1080,

I just started (today) laying out how i am putting this together and marking what cuts to make.

I ended up ordering the Trail Grear ones simply because I predict they have a big enough customer base to demand the dimensions not change, so parts will be interchangeable in the years to come. But they are 2 or 3 times what some of the ebay people were selling for. I wanted the bolts on the same side but, not want i got.

I was and am still concerned about the welding of it to mild steel. I only have MIG (i am better at TIG). I will read up on preheating, unless you have some advice you care to share here. Thanks, Andre1080.

6. May 5, 2018 at 10:34 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    You did make sure it is for the correct wall thickness, right? Mine are 1 3/4 x .120 but I have to mill them down for my 1 5/8 x .134 tubing. I went MS on my tubing and my connectors (forward struts of cage are removable, still thinking the entire cage will be bolt in) for simplicity of welding. And since the relatively low corrosion resistance, all connections will be sandblasted and painted in POR15 type chassis paint.

7. May 5, 2018 at 10:41 PM
    Andre1080

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    18 ProTaco
  8. May 5, 2018 at 10:41 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Post some pics when you get it built.

9. May 5, 2018 at 10:55 PM
    Andre1080

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    18 ProTaco
    Here’s a backup option for buying products you believe might become obsolete. Take measurements with calipers before you install. Do a sketch, write as much info as possible. If in 5 years the company no longer makes parts and you need a new one or two you can get a machine shop to make you some.

10. May 5, 2018 at 11:06 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
  11. May 6, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Thanks again @windsor and @Andre1080,
    Great advice and links. All were taken. Looking forward to reading the links tonight.
    I will post photos... i am almost doing enough to warrant a build page. I will measure with calipers... good call.

Products Discussed in

To Top