1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Churches tax free?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Leggo, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    excellent points that I will ponder

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Wars are based on religion, power, money, and greed altogether they are all intertwined

3. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I would tend to agree to a point.

my origional contention was that ALL wars (later edited to all modern wars) are because of religion.

it's just not that simple. :cheers:

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill

5. Aug 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Noticed your edit from "all wars" to "all modern day wars." Okay, which religous beliefs were behind our engagements in Vietnam, Grenada, Kosovo, Iraq (1st & 2nd), and similar? Heck, even Afghanistan has minimal to do with religion (more of a means than a cause). Elsewhere? Okay, what religous beliefs caused Georgia's invasion of South Ossetia, with Russia's response to that?

Modern atheists relish blaming religion for war, when, in reality, one seldom had/has anything to do with the other. Even the Crusades centuries ago (wrapped in religion as a motivation) were far more about power (kings seeking territory, control of the trade routes, etc) than religion.

6. Aug 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Okay, fifty, a hundred, or a thousand. Still doesn't change the premise of my question. You comments point to the whole ("the Catholic Church" - 1.7 billion members) as the culprits. Again, why blame that massive whole for the actions of a relatively small number?

7. Aug 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    notice DelTaco did not reply when called out or challanged.

I have never understood atheists. if they don't want to believe...don't.

but most seem militant in their disbelief. and want to blame all that's wrong with the world on religion...while never reconizing any good faith based originazations do for the world.

8. Aug 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    many of the same folks would give Penn State a pass for the actions of a few.

whereas, if Penn State was a religious institution (say Catholic)...many would be calling for the wrecking ball.

9. Aug 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Saskquatch11

Saskquatch11 TRUCK YEAH

Member:
    well that's simply not true. I don't care enough to look it up, but I guarantee there's been many more documented cases of molestation in the Catholic church than in Penn state... and the Catholic church is as strong (and corrupt) as it's ever been.

10. Aug 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    yes the church not so much the followersl. The guilt goes right up the chain of command

11. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Why were we in Iraq again? Please don't say it was for the oil, or the money. As far as the middle east goes, what isn't about religion there? Ever heard of the Spanish inquisition? The crusades were in the name of Christ.
    Religion gives people justification (in their minds) to do things that are not ethical. I get annoyed by religious people who claim they are being assaulted by atheist's when atheists have been assaulted by religion everywhere they are. Our politicians make decisions based on their belief's and not on the collective whole's best interest. We went to Iraq because GB thought it was the godly thing to do, yet turned a blind eye to Rwanda. WTf was that about? Maybe because Saddam was Muslim? like the 911 terrorist's. Why do you think we invaded Iraq?

12. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    saddam hussein being muslim was for sure the reason bush decided to invade iraq. i was personally a big fan of him and the 911 terrorists. none of them showed a threat to our country or anything like that. . . but they were muslims, so yep, i think that's why we invaded iraq.

13. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    Saskquatch11

Saskquatch11 TRUCK YEAH

Member:
    IIRC there was an anti-muslim sentiment in the US for quite a few years after 911.

14. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    was?

15. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Saskquatch11

Saskquatch11 TRUCK YEAH

Member:
    sorry, is.

16. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    Aku

Aku Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport Stormtooper
    SnugTop Sport, Weathertec mats
    But there is a strong correlation between being poor and lazy.

17. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    A stronger one between being poor and lacking education of some kind either formal or in the trades.

18. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Aku

Aku Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport Stormtooper
    SnugTop Sport, Weathertec mats
    Because they are lazy. . .

19. Aug 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Okay, since you ignored most of my questions, I'll ignore yours. So, if religion provides the justification, explain again why Clinton & the Democrats decided to attack in Kosovo. Oh, that's right. You didn't explain that. It's one of those you ignored.

As for your comment about atheists being "assaulted by religion everywhere," show me where that's happened in this thread. The only negative I see here is directed at religion. That's pretty consistent with what I've seen elsewhere.

As for Iraq, I think the first attack provided our leaders with an opportunity to display our military might after years of question and criticism over our loss in Vietnam. The second attack was in response to criticism over failing to follow through (invade) after the first attack. GB, nor his father, were religious men.

20. Aug 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This must be true because I have an education and am lazy but I make good money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top