1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

City Maneuverability

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jrubio93, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Apr 8, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Any truck or car will have issues in SF.

tacoYoshi and digitaLbraVo like this.
  2. Apr 8, 2016 at 11:29 PM
    Mr. Torgue

Mr. Torgue Explosions!!?!!?!?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 7544HHBBP
    LED lighting
    Why are we putting exclamations points on everything?!

stealthmode likes this.
  3. Apr 8, 2016 at 11:39 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    If you're concerned I recommend checking the turning radius of the different models and compare them to other trucks. I think they're plenty maneuverable (even with the DCLB) but at times you need to plan your moves a couple ahead or pass up the odd parallel parking spot to go look for a longer one. It's not likely a big issue. The back-up cam sure helps when you're trying to do the 13 point turn in only 9 moves.

There are bigger trucks than Tacomas in every city.

4. Apr 9, 2016 at 12:19 AM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    Instead of jumping into the DCLB vs DCSB/ "your post sucks" war going on, I'll chime in on the original question lol.

I went from a smaller car (GTO in my pic) to the DCLB. I do a lot of LA driving. Bottom line: driving in a busy city sucks. These trucks, however, do handle it well. Its actually a bit easier in the truck than my 2 door due to visibility out the windows and the automatic transmission.

It took me all of a week or so to really adjust to the size difference (...so many jokes to be made). Coming from a full size, you will find the Tacoma to be a breeze I'm sure. Undoubtedly, the short bed is a BIT easier to part; however, even with the long bed parking is not a struggle at all. With the backup camera, its far easier to back into any space instead of pull forward. That alone negates the extra foot.

On a personal side note, be prepared for some of the worst traffic! I've lived in both northern and southern California, both metropolis areas are awful. North of the Bay are some areas where its not as bad (Marin, Sonoma, etc).

5. Apr 9, 2016 at 12:23 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Explosions!!?!!?!?

6. Apr 9, 2016 at 12:44 AM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Victim of a well spent youth

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R, Alice, the fishing car
    I grew up in the "Big City" ,Motown. Moved to the country 30+ years ago. As a kid I loved all the cool stuff to do. One of the many reasons I like the size of the Tacoma is its ease to move and park "in town". I can't stand big cities any more, get in get out. What I call big city now is much smaller, part of the "aging process".

7. Apr 9, 2016 at 1:20 AM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I was just thinking today that the rear camera is like shortening the truck by 2 feet when it comes to maneuvering into tight spaces. I love that. I also like the parking sensors and "texting minivan mom detector" side radar. The combination of those three technologies makes it a lot easier to get in and out of parking.

My other car is a Miata with a 31 foot turning circle. It's pretty liberating to fling that thing anywhere and zip into tight parking. I can be parked on one curb of a normal road, crank the wheel and easily be going the other way without having to 3-point.

My DCSB has a 40.6 foot turning circle and is ~17.7 feet long. It feels a lot bigger than the Miata obviously. It is harder to park. pulling into a 90 degree spot usually requires a slight backing maneuver to get it straight into the slot. I don't find it burdensome, but I do notice.

The DCLB has a 44.1 foot turning circle and ~18.8 feet long. It's going to be about 10% more of a pain I suppose. Though...

Parallel parking spaces are 20' long (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_space), so either truck needs the cars in front and back to NOT be right on the marker. Let's say you have 3 feet extra because the other cars are not *right* on the divider. That gives you about 5 feet to move with the SB and 4 feet with the LB. 20% less in this made-up example which seems to be a pretty bad case.

Garage length is an issue for some folks. Most garages are 20x20', so at almost 19' you are cutting it close with a LB (can you get around it with 6" on each end?)

In summary, it's going to be a little harder to park a LB. Most people seem to get over it.

I bought a SB because I was already concerned about fitting in tight spots and I perceived the break-over on a LB to be an issue off-road. Obviously my opinion. The LB is far more practical for carrying stuff and sleeping in the bed. The LB looks great with a lift which would also probably negate the break-over issue. You can now get the TRD OR in LB, so it really is up to you.

smitty99 and tomwil like this.
  8. Apr 9, 2016 at 1:32 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/ivDkluAdvts

And then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndf1Y0mH01I&nohtml5=False

9. Apr 9, 2016 at 1:33 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Any Tacoma short of a regular cab first gen is gonna be too big for San Francisco.

[/thread]

eon_blue likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2016 at 1:41 AM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
  11. Apr 9, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    DCSB with a bed extender FTMFW. Just more practical and convenient. Handles better. Does better off road.

12. Apr 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    Ive driven a 2nd gen DBL cab LB for 5 years and now I have same cab but short bed.
    Never had any issues in my city with either or wish it were more nimble.
    Height wise with about 2.5" lift and OEM roof rack I was about maxxed out for our standard parking height here (6' -6" minimum clear ). I had a couple inches left but was always weary when passing under pipes etc. Never ripped off rack though.
    If I had any gripe at all- it would be they moved camera screen to center stack. Prefer ed it in mirror - but really just my preference for safety.

13. Apr 9, 2016 at 9:42 AM
    thors.hammer

thors.hammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why I live in Texas.

digitaLbraVo likes this.
  14. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    Thirdgentacoman

Thirdgentacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's odd. Every single person I see with a short bed in the real world seems to have problems with bed space, and yet on this forum nobody with a short bed has issues with bed space.

#logic

2xCab likes this.
  15. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Why I live in Alabama.

thors.hammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:14 AM
    rcsteele

rcsteele Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    i dont think ive ever seen a single dclb in nyc. mainly access cabs and occasional dcsb

17. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    Longboard1110

Longboard1110 ...................

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    A few things
    It's a Tacoma people not a 747. Thousands of people get by just fine everyday with mid to large size cars everyday in major cities. I have worked a lot in downtown sf driving a 3/4 ton work truck with a utility bed and never had a problem. Just pay attention to what you are doing, as all size cars should do.

SilverBullet19 likes this.
  18. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    JoeRacer302

JoeRacer302 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR MT Inferno
    Front: 5100's @ 0.85 Rear: 1/2" spacers 265/75r16 on RAY10
    You may also want to consider a 4Runner. Those are even shorter than the Tacoma, and a little more nimble because of it. You can also fit a ton of stuff in the back of a 4Runner with the seats folded down :) ... just something to think about. I ended up with a Tacoma because manual transmission :D

19. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    rcsteele

rcsteele Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    agreed, so many full sizes driving around nyc with no problem whatsover. i think it only bites you in the ass with street parking/parallel parking - if you gotta squeeze into a tight spot.

20. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:36 AM
    Sbpark

Sbpark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
    Probably because the people who have SB's here did the research and based their decision on what they wanted the truck for. There might be 1 out of 100 times I would like a LB over a SB, so for me the hassle of a LB wasn't worth it factoring in the fact that I don't live in SF or Oakland, but do work there. I park in a company parking garage but still hang out there once in a while and have to park on the street. Plus I only haul a dog in the back, camping gear, misc. stuff that doesn't require a LB, and have hitch mounted Kuat bike rack for the mountain bikes. LB wasn't necessary and no regrets.

smitty99 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top