1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clanking Sound When applying breaks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StAndrew, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2012 at 2:53 AM
    Hektor

Hektor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma DC TRD v6
    Me too i have the same noise after 5100. Is this normal??

2. Jun 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM
    dpak

dpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Eibachs w/ 5100's set at 0, Rear TSB, TRD Catback Exhaust, SCS F-5 Matte Gray Wheels, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM Tires, Elusive Elements Mesh Grill
    I get the "clank" also when i apply the brakes in reverse. What did the dealer say about it?

3. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    1C271...

>>
    Just trying to help, you might have a problem elsewhere such as a suspension component that makes the noise but it's associated with the load put on it by stopping. I would guess a ball joint if it was....<<

Don't think so in my case. When the truck just starts rolling backwards, ever-so-slowly, I get that old brake clank way before I put any stopping force on the pedal. It appears to come as a result of slack being taken up by some component. And it is BOTH left and right front, not just one.

Completely stock truck BTW. Because the clanking began right after I did the brake job (like when I first rolled down out of the garage), I have to believe it is something I did or did not do. Again, stock Toyota pads, torqued the calipers, etc. I did rebuild the calipers in the process, but found nothing unusual in the process.

I guess I'll just have to stop braking when the truck rolls backwards ;)

4. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Should be simple enough to check. Raise the front end and remove the wheels. Put the lugs back on and then turn the rotor in each direction. See if you can see anything making the noise.

Did you put all the pieces back in when you did the brake job? All shims, clips etc. so it matched original installation.

I ran into an issue once with another car where the pads were shifting in the caliper. In my instance I had a couple of issues. One was the pad would clunk/knock repeatedly while driving slowly forward due to a slight warp in the rotor (did a cheapo job for once as typically have the rotors turned). The other issue was as you describe. Put it in reverse and I get a clunk from both sides backing up (single). This was from the pad dragging on the rotor. In normal forward operation the pad is shifted a bit and rests on the front edge of the caliper. When you shifted into reverse the rotor would turn the other way and shift the pad to the other side of the caliper causing a noise.

Anyway, just reminded me of it when I read your post. Might be something to check to see if the pad is shifting. Not done any brake work yet on the Tacoma, but I believe it has pins and some anti rattle clips. Are yours there and if so are they maybe worn?

Just a thought. Interested in what you find.

Cheers

5. Jun 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought about that at the time and tried it out. Took all I had to get the rotor moving (no Spring Chicken here) and had the wife hit the brake pedal. If I turned the rotor fast enough I could make it clank. Same on other side. Couldn't see anything though, and couldn't localize (>When you shifted into reverse the rotor would turn the other way and shift the pad to the other side of the caliper causing a noise.

6. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Geode

Geode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 4WD TRD
    Sign me up, 2009' with 22,000 miles, clinking just started. Very annoying. A friend of mine who was a Toyota master mechanic (21 years) took a look at the brakes. He said everything looks fine. But we know something has changed......Could this be a prelude to 12/21/2012?

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 4x4 TRD 5MT sunfire red pearl
    About 25 pounds of spray paint and vinyl dye
    I have a friend in town who works at an auto shop. He has an early 90s Landcruiser and I drove it one day. Brought it back to him and told him his brakes clank like hell... then told him mine, to a much lesser degree, do the same.

He says it's just loose components (calipers or pads) that are normally worn over time. It still stops fine and operate just fine, but eventually will need to be replaced.

Just my $0.02

8. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    chadleeper

chadleeper "She's a 'beaut Clark"

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Des Moines, IA
    Vehicle:
    Black 08 quad cab TRD Sport
    Same issue. 08 DBSB. 5100s set at "0" Kind of annoying.

9. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    Geode

Geode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 4WD TRD
    Yeah something is worn no doubt. Can't be that hard to identify ;)

10. Aug 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    if you look at how much movement the rotor has on the wheel studs you will see where this clank is coming from. When you are driving forward the rotor will rotate that direction based on movement and braking. When you reverse, the friction of the pads isn't enough to rotate the rotor the other direction, but when you apply the brakes the rotor will rotate on the studs and give you the clank. Try moving the wheel studs back and forth with the wheel off to see the amount of movement, and the subsequent clank. Mine has been making that same sound for 10 years.

11. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is a slight movement by the pads in the calipers. Does the same thing in my truck, usually the most noticeable when going from forward to reverse, and vice versa. Considering slight variances in manufacturing, those of you that replaced the pads already might notice this more or less. Could also have something to do with the pads retention hardware (metal piece that goes on the caliper bracket).

This is not to say that you may not have something wrong with your truck. This is just my opinion based on my experience with a stock 2010 tacoma that I know does not have any loose/damaged components.

12. Aug 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, 31" tires, Michelin LTX AT2, stock gears, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    My brakes don't make a sound. And they shouldn't.

You might have a little play in the drive train that is taken up whenever the torque is reversed. I had a Detroit locker in my '84 rock crawler, and it would have an audible clank whenever the torque was reversed in the drive-line. It was annoying, but it is normal for that locker, and I accepted it.

Not normal for a stock truck, though.

Have you checked your u-joints or suspension bushings?

To Top