1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clay Bar Questions

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by drubacca117, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Yup... you kneed it over as it dirties up. Make sure you wash well and dry before you clay.

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    After you wash the truck put your hand in a sandwhich bag and run it over the paint surface. You'll be amazed how rough it feels.. Now...do it again after the clay bar...

3. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... Sub'd ... :popcorn:

4. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    I know.. I couldn't believe it was that bad.. or that easy to clean. Wow.

5. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If you take care of it, that tiny clay bar will do the whole truck several times.

But buy 4 or 5 bars.
    When, not if, you drop it, don't bother bending over to pick it up. It's toast and will carry crap that will scratch your paint.
    When, not if, you find that spot near the pinch weld or just inside the fender that you didn't quite get all of the mud and grime scrubbed off, it's toast and will carry crap that will scratch your paint.

I used to end up using two bars for most jobs.

6. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    BRUIN8124

BRUIN8124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OFF ROAD DCSB
    Nice! I am going to have to do this now that the nicer weather is coming. It looks easy enough. Thanks for the info guys!

7. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    You will be amazed the first spot you do.. trust me

8. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Yes it will pay to be very careful... Given the price of the stuff around here at least. :confused:

9. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's not cheap anywhere....

But it's better to have a 5 year supply available than to drop your last (or only) bar 5 minutes after Canadian Tire closes on a holiday weekend ;)

10. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Who shops there anyway.... <crumples up receipt> :anonymous:

;)

11. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Well... I wasn't sure if you had Autozone, O'Reilly, Kragan, Chief, or Pep Boys in Canukistan ;)

12. Apr 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    RPC

RPC Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Galveston, TX
    Actually plan on using a clay bar on my truck Wednesday, I use the Mothers kit.

For wax I recommend trying Collinite Fleetwax...it's a marine grade wax and lasts a really long time.

13. Apr 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    So I finally got to clay bar the truck... I used the Meguiars kit. I was surpised, it only really added an hour to my detail, and using the sandwich bag test, I really noticed a difference (even though the truck wasn't really that bad), and it even made waxing easier.

It was pretty awesome to drive through a light rainstorm and see the water wicking of my truck to the point that it was pretty much dry when I parked, while my friends had water all over their vehicles!

14. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Yeah yours is probably like mine, too new to be very bad.. but still worth doing. I noticed the tailgate was the worst for roughness.. so that's all I've clayed for now. Pretty impressive isn't it?
    Did you use that little bottle of wax that was in the kit after?

15. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Yeah, my tailgate and front bumper were the worst. My kit just came with the clay, a microfiber towel and the quick detailer, no little bottle of wax... :(... No matter though, I just did a full wax on it afterwards... I like doing it, it relaxes me... haha!

16. Apr 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    West31

West31 The only easy day was yesterday

Member:
    First Name:
    Westin
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4cyl SR5
    Actually I went to a guy yesterday who is a specialty car detailer and explained to me why you should use a clay bar.
    1st run your bare dry finger across a part of your truck.
    2nd put you hand in a thin ziploc bag and run over that same spot and you can feel all the grime thats on it.

So basically you should use the clay bar with a lube spray you can purchase after you have washed you truck which will be easier. Since your new to it you might need 2 bars just because you might over compensate somewhere.
    After its been clay barred and wiped you can the use wax. Try to find a good buffer that just doesnt use only orbital. All the wax and clay bar is only 15% off keeping your truck awesome the other 85% is using a good buffer.
    Sorry its a lot to read but hope it helps you out man.

17. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I bought a Porter Cable back when I was doing the claybar, Klasse "twins", and P21S every 3-6 months, but the P21S is a very soft, forgiving beeswax/carnuba blend, and with the Klasse twins, I found better results just doing it by hand.

I ended up settling in on using the PC to apply the Klasse AIO simply to take advantage of it's cleaning properties, but I never saw or felt a difference in the finished product if I left the PC in the box.

18. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    ffbartlett

ffbartlett Well-Known Member

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab 4x4
    tint, bfg's, 5100's, tunnel cover.
    I claybared my tacoma for the first time today. used the meguiars kit and then waxed it with meguiars ultimate afterwords. feels smooth as glass.

19. May 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM
    bunsojr

bunsojr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s with OME 885 Medium Duty Dakar Leaf Springs SPC Upper Control Arms Pro Comp 7032 wheels BFG AT K02 in 275/70/17
    hah...after watching that video, i finally learned out to pronounce meguiars correctly. i've been pronouncing it meggie-ars

20. May 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM
    swede31188

swede31188 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sierras
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport ex.cab 4x4
    kn cold air intake,flowmaster cat back dual exhaust, dee-zee bedmat, extreme custom fit floor mats ,
    works great on water spots on glass as well i seem to get alot of use out of it in and around the rear slider . also worth noting is most product in a retail store is cleaner wax and roughly serves the same purpose as a bar . carnuba/yellow wax is what you want to use as a last step for the 'build' it leaves .

Products Discussed in

To Top