1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clay Bar tool

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Shoal_Runner, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I think most of the marring from nanoskin type pads is due to not rinsing enough. We have a tendency to use them like a wash mit (ie. lube up the hood and then run the pad all over the hood without rinsing). We are picking up little hard bits that were stuck to the paint and rubbing them around on the paint. I think a good practice would be to rinse 6 times while working the hood. Its quick and easy. It's also tempting to use more pressure than necessary.

If you use light pressure and rinse OFTEN, the amount of marring can be greatly reduced. But yeah, there are some paints that are just a pain to deal with no matter what due to softness.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    WebberLander likes this.
  2. Apr 5, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    ShineTech

ShineTech Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-road
    Yeah I've noticed that on the Teslas. QC is really bad on the paint at least. I've done the early Model S as well and cutting is a breeze. Finishing down is time consuming for sure. I've worked on the new Model 3's and QC on the paint hasn't improved. Sanding marks, marring, holograms. I have another one coming in Saturday so let's see how that one is.
    Whenever I use the nanoskin on the machine just the weight of the machine is sufficient and I keep the speed at about 3. No need to run the speed high because once you catch that dry spot it's marring for sure.

3. Apr 5, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    ACEkraut

ACEkraut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I use the nanoskin pads as well with a Griot's ROP on 1-2 speed. I use a regular spray bottle with Dawn dish washing detergent as the lube. Much cheaper then the stuff clay lube and also works to strip any wax on the paint off. Then I can really coat the paint well and not risk cleaning with even a marginally dry pad. I still keep my clay handy as well since the nanoskin pads will not allow you to get into all the nooks and crannies of the vehicle.

4. Apr 5, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    How long does it take you guys to use a machine and nano skin to clay??

5. Apr 5, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    ACEkraut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Half hour to 45 minutes with the nanoskin pad. Then follow up with another 15 minutes with the clay bar in the hard to reach areas.

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 6, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    Arcadebrothers

Arcadebrothers Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD Off-road
    HiKari LED fogs, Front tint, Plate LEDS, predator bars, bed mat.
    I am such a strong believer in clay bar plus some type of prep spray before waxing. I am also a die hard user of Griots products because I have see little to no negative impact when used correctly.

I have a clay holder but I have never used it, I like using my hands fore better control and feel. Plus, if I pick up any large debris, i notice right away and can remold the clay before a serious scratch occurs.

I just did my new TRD OR and I was amazed at how much stuff came off. Less than 1000 miles. Dealership retailers are hacks....

7. Apr 8, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    FortuneFavorstheBruin

FortuneFavorstheBruin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Off-Road
    Never ever let a dealership wash your car. Unless you have a desire for swirling or shitty service, never let the dealer wash your ride. I specifically tell them to not wash my truck.

8. Apr 8, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous The Ayatolah Of RockNRolla

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Inferno 3rd gen trd offroad 4x4
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lord-humongous-gigahorse-build.436524/
    I might get some hate for this but I just use one one of those rubberized clay mits before waxing. I mix up a bucket of extremely soapy water wich I use as my lubricant / old wax stripper. Then basically wash the truck with a wash mitt then a second wash with clay mitt taken care not to swirl it around like an animal. It makes the process very quick and painless.
    I understand that it's not as good as doing a real clay treatment but it definatley makes a noticeable improvement and it's good enough for my Tacoma which is going to get used and abused like a 4x4 truck should be:mudding:

NMTrailRider and ace96 like this.
  9. Apr 8, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Actually I see no reason why they are not as effective as regular clay. I made switch last year. Was able to get overspray off my truck quickly.

10. Apr 8, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    That's my routine now, too. It's just so much easier and more fun than using clay. And it's effective.

11. Apr 8, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    ACEkraut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I had forgotten that a few years ago I used the nanoskin on a coworkers Honda. He had bought it used with transmission problems, fixed the tranny but also had a problem with the paint since the previous owner's son decided to paint the house with the Honda sitting very close by, then decided to use some sandpaper to try to remove some of the splatter. Luckily he quit before using too much sandpaper. But the nanoskin pad was remarkable at removing almost all of the little dried on paint splatter. My coworker ended up getting a pretty good deal with that car.

12. Apr 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    definitely, i just clayed my entire truck in literally 20 min....this includes cleaning up the lubricant after

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 19, 2018 at 4:07 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Im pretty sure it takes me about 15-20 minutes to clay my truck. Its very quick.

14. Apr 24, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    noahf

noahf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    noah
    Vehicle:
    2003 Silver Tacoma TRD
    Air Freshner
    i just bought a nanoskin and am looking forward to trying it out. I was looking at the Chemical Guys version that goes on the DA (that the op was asking about) but decided for the hand powered version.Its crazy you can clay your truck in 15-20 minutes, but I guess if you do it enough you get real efficient at it.

15. Apr 24, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    The Eagle One version is cheap and works well. The larger size speeds things up. If I keep up with it (3-4x per year) I can get around the truck in about 10 minutes.

Products Discussed in

To Top