1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clay bar

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by countrylivn, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    countrylivn

countrylivn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the claybar has to be the best thing ever invented for car detailing !!! I never go a day without one on hand !!! Washed truck today after a month and a half of rain and bad weather and had some sort of black gritty stuff all over front of bumper, grill, and headlights!! Would come off with wash mitt, net sponge, or cleaner wax.... Busted out clay bar and boom all gone !!! Took about 1 hour to do front of truck with all that gritty shit but now its been clay bar'd , prewax cleaner and finally waxed .... That bitch is slick as hell !!!!

2. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    I think claying every day is a little excessive

3. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab
    See Build in Sig
    I think I have to agree

4. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    cc350

cc350 Buckeye Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Liberty,Twp Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD DC
    TRex3 eyelids,Undercover hardshell cover,Timbrens
    Too much clay bar=no more paint.

5. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i clay my personal vehicles about every 4-6 months, which is about every other wax job. i don't really find a need to do it more often than that. the clay only removes the contaminants in the crevices of your paint that accumulate over time. certainly doing it every day is a bit excessive. that being said, clay is a great detailer's tool that delivers very positive results.

6. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    countrylivn

Member:
    Lol damn keith u killing me !!! I meant there isnt a day i dont have one availabe ... In other words always have a claybar ready as it is as important as a flashlight :D

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Ohhhhhhh. :D

8. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    countrylivn

Member:
    Clay bar everyday would give me a total body ache !!!

9. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Pit Snipe 1997

Pit Snipe 1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    Plasti coated grill and rear bumper along with all badges. Rigid Industrys D2 Driving lights. Money is tight so more to come soon hopefully.
    clay bar lubericant. dont waste money on the spray bottle everytime you do a clay job.....just use your carwash soap in a seperate bucket. mix soap with water and make sure you feel more soap then water and use it with your bar. ive found it works better then the spray bottle lube.

10. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    desert guy

desert guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    I owned a car detailing company for 7 years and the CLAY BAR kicks ass! I highly recommend it! You only need to do it twice a year. Depending on where you live, or if its garaged. But if your car gets beat up and always out side, you can do it 3 times a year but more than that is a waste of time. **Always wax the truck after you clay bar it also. The clay bar removes stuff called "fall-out" Sap from trees, and removes all chemicals and contaminants in your paint. The clean surface make the wax much more effective

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    good stuff to know

12. Jan 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    just might have to try that

13. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    SocalMGM

SocalMGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 Longbed
    Spindle lift, Bilstein 5100's on all corners, Ultragauge, CB radio, BFG all-terrains 285/75/16, satoshi grille, Desert guy's Light bar, 4 Hella 700's converted to HID, 5000k HID headlights, 3000k HID foglights, Raceline "predator" wheels
    I agree with this, I use a mixture of "optimum No-Rinse" and water in a spray bottle. Works great! The owner of "Chemical Guys" detailing company recommended this to me.

14. Feb 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    azred

azred Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    MGM TX Pro
    I have a MGM Tacoma on order. I have been confused about whether to clay bar it or not once I get it. I bought the Maguier's Ultimate polish and wax, clay bar kit along with their soap and did my 02 Grand Prix GTP and was very impressed with the results. I of course did the wash, clay bar, polished and then waxed. What are the opinions on using clay bar on a newly purchased MGM Taco? I have heard conflicting information. Thanks.

15. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    rpking

rpking Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 TRD off road
    painted engine cover, bed cover, color match door handles, window tint, seat covers, weather gaurd floor mats, TRD stainless steel cat back exhaust, front skid pan, bug deflector, custom holster mount in center console, OME 884X springs and shocks, 2" AAL, OME shocks
    My Tacoma is a 2011, I have waxed it 2 or 3 times but I havent clay bar'd it yet. My question is since I have waxed it do I need to do anything special in order for the clay to work like it is intended to? Will the clay take the wax off and get down to the clear coat and get all the shit off, or do I need to strip the wax off first? Thanks

To Top