1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clay bars, waxes, and/or sealant

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 257.Bob, May 21, 2015.

1. May 21, 2015 at 3:38 PM
    257.Bob

257.Bob [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Access Cab
    Hey guys,
    First, please forgive me for asking...as I'm sure this has been discussed to death. But, I'd love to find an answer to this question, without combing through responses for hours.

A couple months ago got me a 2015 Silver Sky Metallic TRD Taco and am wanting to clay bar it and either wax it or seal it.

My question is - how much better is Adams stuff then Meguirer's or Mother's? Is it "holy cow" better? Or just a little better? I'm an educator and don't have unlimited funds. If Meguirer's or Mothers is 'almost' as good, are there are any products that you'd recommend for my color paint? Anything I should stay away from?

2. May 21, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    riceburner

riceburner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Banks exhaust K&N intake
    Adams is good stuff for sure for some products atleast.

I personally use chemical guys. Good prices and tons of great products. Been using their sealant for a while, along with their wax/dry spray, towels, vlr tire shine, and wheel cleaner.

If you REALLY wanna break the mold and go big, ammo nyc makes top notch.

3. May 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    I have a thread in the detailing section "Preferences For Detailing".It's what products i like to use.Everyone has a opinion on what they like to use product wise and what it comes down to is taking pride in your vehicle and finding the satisfaction with the product knowing your vehicle is protected from all the weather elements that we deal with and exist!

4. May 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New York
    Vehicle:
    SOLD:2012 TRD Sport 2017 SR5 4Runner
    Toytec 1/2 spacers, A.R.E Z, Firestone airbags
    I have used Mother's and Meguirer's clay kits and synthetic sealant. I like the Meguirer's clay better because the clay doesn't fall apart as quickly as the Mother's but they do a equally good job. As far as the sealant is considered (not a wax)I have never used Adam's but I found Wolfgang to be much better than either but it costs at least double. The shine holds much longer than anything else I have used but I don't know if it will go a year like Wolfgang claims. And I find it is easier to clean road debris like tar and bugs off the painted areas since using wolfgang. I don't wax anymore so I really can't comment on wax but I would highly recommend the Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0. In regards to color I don't think it really matters which product you decide on...

5. May 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    Pro Taco 11

Pro Taco 11 Sitt Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Joliet, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TX Pro 2011 4x4
    3" OME, RAAL, TRD Exhaust, Pioneer DBL DIN, Weather Tech's, Bull Bar, AFE CAI, Anytime Fog, Map/Dome light mod, Ultra Gauge, Tail Gate theft mod, Second Set of D-Rings in bed, Dura Tracs 285's, Satoshi deep dish, Leer 100 XQ, Wet Okole seat covers
    I strictly use Zaino products. Their clay bar lasts a long time and as far as the wax I do mine 2 times a year. Couple different types of wax but super easy to use.

6. May 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    PeeDeeComa

PeeDeeComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner SR5
    I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP but I recently bought the Mother's clay bar kit and Meguirer's M21 sealant. The Mother's clay bar kit came with 2 clay bars, the showtime spray, and a mircofiber towel. I'm hoping to do this tomorrow because the weather is going to be nice. Any advice before I begin?

7. May 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM
    Goose8651

Goose8651 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    I had the Mothers clay bar kit and loved it. Enjoy Adams Products and bought the grey clay bars. Did not care for them. Felt much "stickier" and harder to use than the Mothers Brand. Adams has come out with another clay bar which I believe is blue in color that has solved the stickiness problem, but I have really enjoyed Mothers with the ease of use, so going to stick with that.

8. May 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    PeeDeeComa

PeeDeeComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner SR5
    Okay...I'm in the process of applying the sealant to my truck. The instructions state apply even coat, let dry for about 10-15 minutes, and then wipe. I didn't know it was that easy.

9. May 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I used Zaino sealant and it does last a long time

10. May 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM
    MGtaco2.7

MGtaco2.7 MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB 4X4 SR5 Silver Sky Metallic V6 AT
    20150511_193949.jpg
    Have used this for about 2yrs on both trucks. Its a more of a sealant as it contains no cleaners or abrasives. Surface is slick as hell when your done.

ace96 likes this.
  11. May 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    Smashing

Smashing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochesterish NY
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport
    ^ Just used that for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Crazy in love with it

12. May 23, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I use nearly 90% all Adams products when it comes to my vehicles. Only step I don't use Adams on is a topper for the sealant. I have tried other brands Pinnacle, DP, Klasse, Chemical Guys, Meguiars, Mothers, and never really cared for the product. Keep in mind I only tried a handful of each one. I will say Wolfgang makes an amazing wax. I usually top it over Collinite.

Products Discussed in

To Top