1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clean VHF/CB radio installs

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FoleySwampPlotts, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    ClassicVW

ClassicVW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    North and South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x2 2.7 DCSB MGM
    Here's the route I took.
    Many thanks to all the posts before where I gained my ideas and know-how to do the install.

Uniden CMX-760
    Cali Raised LED's corner bed accessory mount.
    3' Firestick Antenna

I originally was planning on mounting the hidden part of the CB under the dash, with the antenna cable running along the kick panels to the under dash mounting area, and running the power wires off the fuse block under the dash that's behind the hood release.
    I actually ran all this to the under dash location, then changed my mind and decided on a completely hidden location inside the center console.
    The realization that there's a 12V outlet inside the console also helped my decision. The CMX-760 is very small and only takes up a tiny area in the console. I used ordinary Velcro to attach the unit to the side of the console. With the slot that's in the top lip of the console, you can close the console all the way and the speaker/mic wire lies neatly in that slot. I bought a 12V plug at Advance Auto. I ran the antenna coax from the rear antenna mount to the inside of the tail light, then along the frame with a couple zip-ties and to the inside of the cabin by way of the rubber drain plug that's under the carpet in the rear seat floor behind the driver's seat. From there, into the bottom of the center console. You just loosen the two bolts holding the rear console down, you don't have to remove the console. There already are a couple of holes in the floor of the console. I needed to simply enlarge one hole with a drill bit in order to fit the PL-259 connector thru the hole.

The only issue is my speaker/mic control is not mounted to anywhere with a mic hook. I just leave it in the cup holder or on the passenger seat while I listen to CB and it's easily within reach to transmit. I'm keeping it like this because I want to just store it away in the console when not in use, and everything is neatly out of sight.

One note- At first, my power outlet inside the console was not working and it gave me a minor fit trying to determine if it worked with the key off or on, and in what position the key needed to be in, and whether the engine needed to be off or on, etc. It turned out to be a blown fuse. I had never used that outlet- I never even realized one was there- so it must have been blown since I took delivery of the truck.

CB Antenna.jpg
    CB Install.jpg
    CB Install 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. Feb 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Live in: An Ocean of Plastic Trash
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    ICON8 Lift -285s. upTOPoverland rack.
    This is awesome and I truly appreciate the updates as-you-go posts. Helps me in thinking mine through. For now I’m going old school on the switch below to raise and lower the dual band antenna. I will cut it into my switch panel left of the steering so I can operate it from within or while standing outside.

I really like your full logic control design as in *really cool*. I plan to copy your 10 second rule in the future for “auto retract”. I want the luxury of automation along with the overide potential of a physical switch, while, at the same time need to isolate the manual operation from the “auto retract” to avoid a short if both “up” and “down” are activated simultaneously.

Similarly to your set up I might want to try to determine the “up” state potentially with a separate water proof micro switch. The features on the motor state it stops at end of travel but I’m not yet ready to hack the housing.

Good luck with your mods!

8A479E51-8DA7-444C-A0D0-57169F091FDA.jpg

5nahalf[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 20, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
  4. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:25 PM
    Tman0969

Tman0969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR
    Where did you get the switch?

5. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:42 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Tman0969[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 21, 2019 at 3:05 AM
    k8md

k8md Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver TRD Sport
    Anyone install a SDS200 yet? I don't own one, but have my finger on the trigger.

7. Feb 21, 2019 at 3:32 AM
    baldridge

baldridge War Eagle!!!!! KN4OYZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Offroad and 2015 Black Prerunner SR5
    OME Lift with HD Dakar’s C4 Slim Line Bumper 4.88 ECGS Gears ARB Single Air Compressor ARB Rear Air Locker JBA UCA’s 285 BFG KO2’s Weather Tech Floor Mats Martin OffRoad Rack Console Vault KB Voodoo Cab Height Rack 23Zero RTT 23Zero Awning 23Zero Shower Tent Maxtrax Black MaxTrax amounting Pins Krazy Beaver Shovel Fiskers Axe Smittybilt ace and Shovel Mount Quickfists Rotopax 4 Gallon Rotopax Mounting Plate Rotopax Mounting Brackets Decked Storage System Alu Cab XL Tilt Fridge Slide ARB Elements Fridge OEM Skid Plate Local Sliders Uniden 510XL Cali Raised Tailgate Antenna Mount Fire Stick 3 foot Antenna PowerTray Fuse Panel Blue Seas Fuse Box Blue Seas Breaker Cali Raised Ditch Light Mounts Rigid Ditch Lights Alpha Rex Head Lights with LED bulbs Blue Ridge Overland Tacoma Attic Blue Ridge Overland Seat storage bags
    Here is another pic of that mount. Works well! I ran my wire up the window channel. You can hardly even notice it.

B61DECFD-9070-48E9-B0B2-23D926CAE007.jpg

Cudgel likes this.
  8. Feb 21, 2019 at 4:14 AM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    You're in Murph territory aren't you haha

baldridge[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:37 AM
    baldridge

baldridge War Eagle!!!!! KN4OYZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD Offroad and 2015 Black Prerunner SR5
    OME Lift with HD Dakar’s C4 Slim Line Bumper 4.88 ECGS Gears ARB Single Air Compressor ARB Rear Air Locker JBA UCA’s 285 BFG KO2’s Weather Tech Floor Mats Martin OffRoad Rack Console Vault KB Voodoo Cab Height Rack 23Zero RTT 23Zero Awning 23Zero Shower Tent Maxtrax Black MaxTrax amounting Pins Krazy Beaver Shovel Fiskers Axe Smittybilt ace and Shovel Mount Quickfists Rotopax 4 Gallon Rotopax Mounting Plate Rotopax Mounting Brackets Decked Storage System Alu Cab XL Tilt Fridge Slide ARB Elements Fridge OEM Skid Plate Local Sliders Uniden 510XL Cali Raised Tailgate Antenna Mount Fire Stick 3 foot Antenna PowerTray Fuse Panel Blue Seas Fuse Box Blue Seas Breaker Cali Raised Ditch Light Mounts Rigid Ditch Lights Alpha Rex Head Lights with LED bulbs Blue Ridge Overland Tacoma Attic Blue Ridge Overland Seat storage bags
    Yep! :rofl:

m603holden[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    Step One (again). I moved the antenna retraction motor to the front of the passenger roof rail from the bed roll bar for two reasons:
    1) now I can see the position of the antenna through the moon roof, so no guessing on if it is up or down as I can see it from the drivers seat!
    2) when modeling the ground plane for especially 2M, the more cab forward positioning (yes even when off center) gave better preference to vertical polarization, possibly from my assumptions of the plastic bed, and possibility from the forward mass ratios of pickups.

This position also makes car washes more convenient as I can secure the tip to the rack rail with a simple cinch in the down position).

Shown in progress (whip not attached - cables not fished).
    9F580837-2993-4672-BCDC-CD3888D890B1.jpg

medic2230, Bastek and 5nahalf like this.
  11. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    Day Two: Rough-in.

Installed the head end and all exterior connections today for my Icom5100 with power antenna tilt. I have the same unit in my shack so programming is a breeze.

Tested all connections and functions. I’m thrilled with the antenna mount and having the head close but neat was ultimately the compromise I went with...clean but usable. I left extra cable in the headliner and it’s on a magmount so I can remove and use in hand too.

I like to minimize holes and hide wires so still working on all that for the feed and power and haven’t mounted the mic clip yet until I try several places. Transceiver under driver seat. Remote speakers to go.

Head

Antenna up

Antenna during retraction

View through moonroof.

12. Feb 22, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    Boomer3731

Boomer3731 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    I'm really liking this. Nice work.

Cudgel[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    Step Three:
    Interior hookups today, mounted the transceiver in the Whiskey bottle compartment behind driver side rear seat-back...there is pretty decent space and ventilation there. It also means the antenna cable is just the right length and since I'm attaching a remote speaker (Icom's OEM is Ok, but their accessory is excellent) I like the more perm mount overall. Bonus is I now have a high amp. DC line running under the center console I can tap in the future.

Bracket:
    IMG_7035.jpg

Rough in before cable management:
    IMG_7037.jpg

Still deciding on Mic hanger spot, I would love to see where others have hung their Mics in a Clean way before I cut in my jack:
    IMG_7038.jpg

Durango95 and Boomer3731 like this.
  14. Feb 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    Step Four & Done! (Sorry for the 4 posts and Thanks for replies on my questions!) I'll clean up all the posts and add them to my build thread...eventually.

Mic and Speaker Mounts:
    I decided to run the mic line up behind the stereo head and leave the actual connection hidden behind the cowl...this gives it a slight, but not too much, pinch in the durable straight part of the mic line at the panel joint indentation above the glove box shroud - it is just a perfect sized groove...and if it gets "yanked" it will give but it does not pull on the connector with normal use.

It is all right handed, but the rider can get to it as needed for 3rd party traffic. The mic clip is 3M'd to the open spot on the dash...typically pretty good as these mics are pretty light...worst case it ends up in the cup holder.

Some pics below of the shroud details and where I mounted the remote speaker to the seat frame (yes it moves)...audio quality coming from the foot well is phenomenal...all in all not a bad "days work" if I can say so myself...which I suppose I did.

View from back seat driver: Head at top console, mic right of stick.
    IMG_7052.jpg IMG_7051.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg

Cable details before I tucked it in behind the cowl:
    IMG_7043.jpg

15. Feb 23, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    Rome604

Rome604 I am the Captain now

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Sequoia
    Nice job! How did you mount the head unit to the headliner? Just the icom bracket and bolts?

I like it.

16. Feb 23, 2019 at 1:57 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    Thanks. Yes the mag mount Icom plate is screwed into the headliner backer sheet metal plate, if you have a moon roof open it up and look down into the slot it is very simple you can see both sides...I put 4 small screws, two with fender washers on the top and two sheet metal into the plate...solid as a rock and the holes are miniscule.
    49C9A890-ECB7-4EB1-860F-E9DD23E1EEDE.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Rome604[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 23, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    Rome604

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Sequoia
    Cool, can you view the screen in direct sunlight if the sun roof is open? Just gotta be extra careful to close the sun roof when you park. (Not that that's a hard thing to remember)

18. Feb 23, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    I think you're asking two questions. The day light mode Brightness = 10 does feel bright enough yes...frankly I've used my rig a lot so it is easy for me to program and use the mic controls and the sd card is easy to program.

As far as protection from UV etc. I agree that is good practice for overall interior protection to close the shade in too much sun...if it is a theft issue, well there are other "accessories" not in my build thread that can provide deterrence or induce reconcations but it is hard to see from outside at any angle.

Rome604[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    Rome604

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Sequoia
    I was actually thinking of rain getting in if you left the window open. But like I said, it's kinda hard to forget that.

20. Feb 24, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    PM Me if you want my switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top