1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaning applicator microfiber?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by cookiedough, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Jan 2, 2023 at 8:01 AM
    cookiedough

cookiedough [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phx, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB OR, 19 DCSB OR
    No mods - just all the adventure gear in the back
    Background: I use 303 graphene spray and some small 12 x 12 autogeek applicator MF towels. I use the Backfire MF cleaner and restorer detergent, and wash the drying towels separate from the applicator/buffing towels. The drying towels always come out great.

The Problem(?) : After the wash of the applicator/buffing towels, the applicator ones still had the black tint where I would spray the product. Still smelled a bit like mineral spirits but felt clean. I decided to try the dawn detergent in the sink, warm water, a fair amount of detergent agitate then let them sit. When rinsing and squeezing out the clean water, there was still a bit of smell and noticed a waxy stuff in the area that was squeezed the most.

How do you clean them? Or are applicator MF's kind of a consumable? They don't seem to have any crusty bits and feel all soft.

2. Jan 2, 2023 at 11:04 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Unfortunately some products just don’t seem to come out of the MF towels. Just keep them as dedicated application towels. Usually about every 12 months my application towels become rags for cleaning the engine or suspension parts etc. and once they’re yuck I just toss them. Almost all my application towels are 300gsm so I don’t mind tossing them.

cookiedough[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 4, 2023 at 5:39 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Ceramics and graphine products don't come out of microfiber cloths/applicators in most cases. I have seen some videos that state if you put the cloths/applicators in a bucket filled with water and whatever detergent you'll be using to clean them, they can be cleaned and reused. I guess the idea here is to keep them wet until you wash them. Once the product dries it probably won't come out.

4. Feb 2, 2023 at 10:20 PM
    MelissaMaust

MelissaMaust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Melissa
    I recommend that you wash them in the washing machine. You can use detergent. When I wash in the washing machine, I use Detergent. You might want to use the gentle cycle when washing. It may take several washes to remove the odor, or you can use various cleaning products.

5. Feb 3, 2023 at 8:01 PM
    NobDriver

NobDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Presoak in warm water and give P&S rags to riches a try.

Rocketball likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2023 at 8:18 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    P&S Rags to Riches microfiber detergent. Wash in warm or hot water separate from other items. Dry low or hang to dry. No fabric softeners or dryer sheets as they'll make microfibers greasy. 303 isn't a professional ceramic, so you shouldn't have an issue with the product drying on the microfiber. If using a true ceramic like gtechniq's CSL or Exo V4 then fill a bucket with water and a few ounces of P&S Rags to Riches and toss the towels in the bucket as you're done with them then throw them in the wash when finished. If microfiber's are really dirty you can soak them in P&S rags to riches and warm water for a bit before running them in the wash.

The Rag Company has better Korean made microfiber alternatives. The platinum pluffle would be a good option. I really like the premium ftw glass towels and the purple premium edgeless pearl towels sold in a 10 pack for professional ceramic coating removals.

https://theragcompany.com/products/ps-detail-products-rags-to-riches
    https://theragcompany.com/collections/the-rag-company

Rocketball likes this.
  7. Feb 5, 2023 at 2:36 PM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    What does anyone think about using free and clear laundry detergent to clean microfibers?

Rocketball likes this.
  8. Feb 6, 2023 at 5:41 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    That detergent gets a lot of good reviews in the detailing forums I belong to, but I believe more people actually use a detergent specifically made for microfiber.

Venom[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 7, 2023 at 4:50 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Any comparison experience trying free and clear detergent vs dedicated microfiber cleaner?

Even microfiber cleaner vs other microfiber cleaners..

I only tried Micro Restore cleaner and Blackfire Microfiber Cleaner. To me, I didn't see any difference between these two in cleaning ability.

10. Feb 7, 2023 at 5:50 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    I have no direct experience with it. Sorry. And I'm just weekend warrior working on my own vehicles, so even when I change the brand that I use I can't really do a comparison because of how long it is between washings.

11. Feb 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM
    Unresolved Taco Issues

Unresolved Taco Issues Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    FINALLY off the island!
    Vehicle:
    2020 Gray Tacoma Access Cab
    I use free and clear detergent (specifically Ever Clear that you can find in Target) for my microfiber towels. No fabric softener and low heat/tumble dry. Never knew there's a microfiber specific wash, but I've been happy with the results of free and clear so I'll probably just stick with that. Using Optimum No Rinse, distilled water, and Garry Dean Wash Method.

12. Feb 7, 2023 at 2:43 PM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! It was worth asking.

Any pre-treat with detergent or all purpose cleaner?

13. Feb 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I use Tide free and clear. The call is still out at what works better, Tide or a dedicated microfiber wash. If I had to pick one I go with Tide.

14. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:02 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    Dedicated microfiber detergents are designed to lift fibers and remove polishes, compounds, waxes, sealants, ect. I haven't used or heard of the others mentioned.

Venom likes this.
  15. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:11 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Never tried it but I’ve heard to use ammonia instead of soap in the washing machine and they come out perfect.

16. Feb 7, 2023 at 8:36 PM
    Taco 422

Taco 422 Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2 AC v6 TRD SR5 Prerunner
    The Kirkland one put me in the hospital

17. Feb 8, 2023 at 4:18 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Never tried Kirkland, No Costco near by. Been thinking of trying All detergent. Someone told me this is what he uses all the time.

18. Feb 8, 2023 at 4:24 AM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    Wife-“what is this weird smell in the clothes washing machine??”

Redneck response- “umm…just some chemicals I use to clean up other chemicals I use on my truck rags…” :rofl:

Taco 422 likes this.
  19. Feb 8, 2023 at 4:26 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Her response 92343FA6-A3E6-4F6B-A70E-4A1D41751559.jpg

20. Feb 8, 2023 at 6:43 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    No, I don't do any pretreat.

Products Discussed in

To Top