1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaning the engine bay?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Khaos, Jan 24, 2009.

1. dwsyab

dwsyab Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sturbridge MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    TRD Exhaust, rear diff breather mod, CB Radio
    I would certainly be concerned with keeping water away from the air intake and fuse box but I have routinely ( for 30 years) sprayed off the battery when cleaning the engine compartment without experiencing any problems. As far as the alternator, I have gone so far as to thoroughly hose them out once or twice when they became caked with mud; again no problems. I don't use a pressure washer, just a garden hose. Sometimes I use a commercial degreaser, sometimes just plain water. Sometimes the engine is cold, sometimes hot, and sometimes while its running but always start it up and keep it running to dry things out. The only time I has a starting issue was due to a worn out spark plug wire creating a short and very rough running and stalling engine. Just get a buddy to hold onto them one at a time while you crank the engine and when you see him fly across the room you know you found the bad wire! :bananadead:

2. Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    If I do any mudding I take it in and have it professional cleaned, then just maintain the keep up with simple green and a damp towel.

If that isn't an option, a pressure washer is a useful tool to clean engine bays. Just keep the pressure low.

3. 0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Mine has been doing that for 10k miles. I think it comes from water/mud getting in the starter. I rarely hose my engine bay out but I do regularly drive through deep water, and it was after driving through such water for the first time that my truck began having the starting issues. Pump the clutch once or twice and it starts right up every time. I still need to invest in a better splash guard for my starter though. :eek:

4. Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Icon Ext Travel Coils, Built right UCAs, nFab light bar, Fox 2.0 piggy backs, Demello Sliders, Weather Tech Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Mufler, 6000k HIDs Headlights, 3000K HIDs Fog Lights, Fogs Anytime Mod. Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap.
    I've done it with garden hose and the gun they sell for watering. Had no issues. I Wouldn't use any pressured water.

5. TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    Hopefully going to be doing this soon, if anyone has any new tips or products since this thread was created, thatd be great, thanks.

To Top