1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clear bra new install issue!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jgerbodegrant, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    jgerbodegrant

jgerbodegrant [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    '12 Sport LB
    Added skid plate, Leer 180 Cover, Wet okole seat covers. Plan: Full LED's, Light bar, running boards, Roof rack.
    My dealer dropped off my truck today after having the clear bra installed. I paid almost $400 for it to be installed (normally $479, but I talked the dealer down). All they covered were the little portions under the lights, the mirror, the hood and the fender just aft of the lights. They didn't do any of the bumper at all and neither of the windshield columns. I'm sort of pissed because I figured the damn bumper would be covered!

Who has one of these clear bras installed and what does it cover? What would you do?

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    There seems to be variations among installers of this stuff. I got the hood, fenders, bumper and headlights, but not the A-pillars. Some others here have gotten them included as well as what I got. I'm okay with what I got, but I am going to have the pillars and leading edge of the flares done. If your knuckleheads didn't include the bumper for that price I believe I'd be bitching at someone until they did it. Hell, that's the most important part because it takes the most abuse for chripessake!

3. Mar 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Clear bra? To show off man boobz?:confused:

Or do you mean the 3M protective film or a varient? It comes in a roll, and can be applied where ever you want, with the exception of bigger compound curves. Where it got applied on your truck is between you and your dealer, and if you're not satisfied, they are the ones to discuss the issue with. Sounds like you got the discount job to go along with the discounted price.

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    Had this done on the wife's rav4. Paid extra big bucks for the bumper to be included which I think cost around $400! What you got was a $250 job and I truly would make a complaint but don't go in swinging! Just let the service people know that you were upset about what you got for your money and that you really need the bumper to be completed in order to remedy the situation.

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have the 3M bra on mine.

First 12" of the hood, continues on that line down the fenders, complete front bumper, grille, head lights and fog lights, mirrors, door trim, and door handle cups

This was not done by dealer, but a private company in Stl.

6. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    jharden03

jharden03 Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX package, 2001 4x4 SR5
    Weathertech floor liners Flowmaster 40 Muffler Satoshi grill 6" Fabtech Lift Dirt Logic Coilovers Total Chaos UCA, with Heim Joints Alcan Rear 6" Leaf Springs Crown 6" Brake Lines Nitto Terra Grapplers 295X70R18E 18" RBP Rockstars
    Thinking about having this done, is it worth it?

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Judgement call. I do a lot of highway driving in the desert where high winds and blowing sand/dirt are common. As such, for me it was a must if I wanted to keep any sort of decent-looking front end. If I lived in a city and only went on the road in good weather then I doubt I'd have thrown the nickel for it. I also do my share of off-road driving so the added patches on the leading edge of the rear flares (done by the dealer w/ the door handle scratch zones before I put the bra on) is a good thing also.

8. Mar 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    AstroluxAtom

AstroluxAtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunnyvale, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 v6 4.0L DCSB Offroad Prerunner Debadged
    3" Pro-Comp lift kit, Pro-Comp Tires, Magnaflow exhaust dumped at rear axle.
    I have so much covered. Lower valence. Bumper. First 1/3 of hood, headlights, and in the debris firing line of my fenders.

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    jgerbodegrant

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    '12 Sport LB
    Added skid plate, Leer 180 Cover, Wet okole seat covers. Plan: Full LED's, Light bar, running boards, Roof rack.
    Yeah, I don't know...it also doesn't wrap any of the edges. Like on the hood...comes down and in some places is really close, in other places is a few mm away from the edge. I also found a bubble in the film down on the left side, near the light.

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    It sounds like you have to go back and talk to them. I suggest nice and polite to start with, but if they don't want to do it right, move it up a notch to show them you are serious.
    I hate it when I have something special done and then get a disappointment like that.

11. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    OP - I am guessing you have nothing in writing?

Never get this stuff from the dealer. They aren't installing it they are subing it out. Just go direct next time. Any car wrapping place can do this. It's as simple as they come.

He should of also advised you to "prep" your car before hand or done it himself.

Installing film over wax = bad job.

12. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    We install the 3M Stoneguard here at my work and I have seen it installed many different ways. The edges should be wrapped, you should have between 1/8" and a 1/4" on the underside of the hood. The only place it should be near the edge is at the corners of the hood, there should be a relief cut there for folding.

Most vehicles have more than one kit made for them, some are just hood, hood / fenders and so on. If I remember correctly there were options for the tacoma when I did mine.

And let me tell ya, shit ain't cheap. haha

13. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    my bumper, hood, little pice under lights. and part of finder and finder flair are done. no A pillar. my mirrors are black and chrome grill. so i think thats why thats not done.

14. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    chyknees

chyknees nomadic wanderer

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    TRD, Total Chaos, Fox, Volk, BFHoodrich
    Most dealerships only install the partial Hood and Fenders, sometimes they do the grille and mirrors. But most clear bra installers at dealers do not have the full skills needed to install a bumper. The $400 range sounds about right for what the dealership will charge.

Independent shops will usually charge about $350-$500 but I have seen upwards of $1000 for the partial hood/fender/mirror/grille and full bumper. Usually the A-Pillar/Cabtop/door cups/rocker panel strips/flare strips/etc are extra.

Most standard clear bra kits do not wrap the edges, they usually stop within about a 1/16" of the edge. If there is a air or water bubble under the film, I would take that back and have them fix it. It won't affect your car if it is left there, but will affect the visual appearance after awhile, especially if it is an air bubble.

FYI, I design clear bras for cars, so if you have any questions, pm me.

15. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I had my truck done, well worth it. I do alot of highway driving and my last truck the front was all nicked/chipped up. The complete front of the truck is wrapped and 1/3 of the hood. Mirrors, door edges, handle inserts. I had it done by a private company. They did such a excellent job I had them do my car.

16. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Didn't you ask what was covered before you paid for it? Spending that much money on a clear bra I'd be damn sure what I was getting before the laid it down.

17. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    jgerbodegrant

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    '12 Sport LB
    Yup, definitely did. The answer was, "they do pretty much the entire front end of the car, but they can't do the lights, because it's against the law."

18. Mar 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    RugbyTaco

RugbyTaco Rhum.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Sleepy Hollow
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Wet Okoles, Weathertechs, AFE Pro Dry, Wicked Flow 13", URD MAF, MagLite Mount, 16x8 Procomp 8069, 265/75/16 GY Duratracs, Rear Leaf TSB,AAL, OME 9000s, 884s, S2000 stubby antenna, Leer XR100
    I just bought some 3M Scothgard Paint Protection film of ebay(12"x60") for $35. THey also had precut kits for tacomas but it wasn't 3M. Im thinking bout getting the precuts for the bumper and using the roll stuff for my doors/rockers. id rather spend $60 and a few hours doing it myself than several hundred dollars or more

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Mar 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

so nothing in writing?

I understand your frustration, but I hope you learned from it so you won't make the same mistake again.

Get everything in writing. Pay for everything by credit card or DO NOT pay until it's completed and you approve.

I would report them to the BBB after you get the issue resolved.

20. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'd request them to 'pretty much the entire front of the car then'. I guess since they said 'pretty much' that's very limited.. Sucky, good luck man. Hope you get your money back or the full product you paid for.

Products Discussed in

To Top