1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clear coat coming off!!!HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by sir1123, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    sir1123

sir1123 [OP] Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    I notice a little bubble on my hood about 2 weeks ago and realized it was the clear coat. now my whole hood is bubbling and chipping...i can not afford to get it professionally fixed nor do i have a spray gun sutible for this job. What can i do to fix it..?al least make it look a little better.
    Thanks

2. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i had a similar problem with a painted bumper on my ford excursion, it was chipping and peeling to hell. i didn't have the money to take it to a shop. i watch this show auto traders on tv, and the guy often uses a rattle can to make paint repairs, so i decided to look into it a little more and try it myself.

i wound up ordering everything i needed online, painted it in my garage, and it came out really nice - when i traded the truck in a few months ago, no one ever knew it was repainted. you can order an exact duplicate of your paint color in a rattle can, and most important, order the handle/trigger sprayer that attaches to the spray can, it's plastic and only a couple of bucks, works just like a spray gun, it makes a world of difference and lays the paint down really well. i also ordered primer, and clear coat, as well as various grits of sandpaper, and masking tape. the whole key is preparation, take your time, do many thin coats instead of several thick coats, and it will come out great.

this is where i ordered my spray paint and materials from. really good quality stuff. http://automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

good luck and if you tackle it yourself, post up some pix. if you want to see mine let me know and i'll post them up.

3. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    sir1123

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    thanks alot man this stuff should help

4. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    fyi, the local shop wanted $400 to respray the bumper, or $350 if i removed it and brought it to them. the materials i bought cost around $80-90, plus my time. so i think it was worth it. good luck.

5. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    sir1123

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    so i did some more research and i am just going to sand down my truck and re clearcoat it a few times. i am a capable painter and my neighbor happens to have a few high tech spray guns..i ordered some clearcoat from a local shop this morning..hopefully i will get to do it around march unless i can get some heaters in my garage or it stays warm....thanks for your help and i put that website in my favorites just in case. :peace

Products Discussed in

To Top