Clicking/grinding noise from front driver side wheel

Discussion in '4Runners' started by AIbot01, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Nov 21, 2022 at 4:26 PM
    AIbot01

AIbot01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    WIP
    Looking for some advice from someone a little more knowledgeable than me on troubleshooting a clicking/grinding noise coming from the front driver side wheel on my 5th gen 4runner. Wife mentioned it a few days ago and I took the wheel off and noticed a faint clicking noise when I spent the wheel assembly. Initially I thought it might be the inner CV. Today we drove it to the store and when we backed out it made a grinding noise. I've already checked between the dust cover and rotor for rock/debris. I wasn't sure about the wheel bearing before since until today it wasn't loud enough to hear with the engine running. It's definitely a grinding noise when driving but it's not constant and turning the wheels doesn't make any change. It definitely doesn't sound like a bad CV now. There's not really much wiggle in the wheel either.

2. Nov 27, 2022 at 5:02 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Diagnosing noises over the internet is next to impossible. That said, how many miles on the vehicle?

3. Nov 27, 2022 at 9:01 PM
    AIbot01

AIbot01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    WIP
    A little over 100k. Pretty sure it's the wheel bearing. It clicks faintly with no weight on it and makes a grinding noise with weight on it.

4. Nov 28, 2022 at 3:54 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    100,000 miles is about right for OEM bearings. Does the noise increase at highway speeds in a turn one way or the other?

If it is a wheel bearing, make sure you replace both sides and all of the seals. I'd also highly recommend OEM Toyota or at least aftermarket SKF, Timken or Toyo bearings. Beware, there's lots of low-priced junk out there.

Products Discussed in

To Top