1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Client not paying bill..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jdickey03, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Fantastic, good luck.

Growing up in the construction business nothing irks me more than to see a hard working contractor get shafted either by a bad general or non-paying homeowner.

2. Mar 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    I have been through something very similar before. A guy hired us to tear down and rebuild his attached garage, which had been badly damaged in a fire started by a cheap power cord. We ended up doing a lot more work than just the garage- aside from tearing it down and rebuilding it, we we moved all of his stuff out of his house for him and put it all in his storage, gutted the house, (the smoke damage was pretty bad in the house) put up new insulation and sheet rock, framed in a new bathroom, took out the chimney and put a window where it once stood, re-roofed the whole place, re-sided the whole house, etc. We pretty much gave him a whole new house. He had agreed to the prices, and for a while, was paying us as we finished the specific jobs. Then, when we finally finished up over there, he was supposed to give my boss the remaining $4,000 upon completion. He never gave it. We tried calling, e-mailing, and even going back to the house to talk to him. He decided (though our work was totally done) that we were 'fired' and told that if we came back on the property, the police would be called. Never got that money (or our tile saw that was still in the guy's house,) so a few months ago, my boss went to the city and filed to put a lean on the guy's property. So if he ever goes to sell the place or anything, he won't be able to, because my boss's name is on the place. The only way that can be satisfied is if he pays the money, because only then will my boss go back to the city to take his name off. (I think I understood/said that right.) The guy also called my boss a few months later and claimed he was going to sue us because supposedly his roof was leaking and his siding was falling off. (Which is bullshit, of course.) Tell me how it would leak in a regular drizzly rain, when if didn't leak in the hurricanes and bad storms we had been through since the roof was done?
    But anyways, I know what you're going through on this- but if he's not the actual owner of the property, and is just a renter, I don't know if you could possibly put a lean on his property like we did.

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 [OP] $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    Update:

Met with a sheriff today at the substation and had him follow me and an employee out to the property. Gate was open so we just drove up to the house. There was a newer Tundra and a black civic in the driveway. The sheriff went up to the door and knocked several times but no one answered. He told us to go ahead and take back our property while he sat in his car to see if the owner ever came out. After we had everything removed, I wrote up a small note explaining what I did to the water system. The officer then put the note on the front door with his card. Went alot more smoother then I thought it would. While it'd be nice to get paid for the labor costs. I'm just glad i have the equipment back so I can sell it (unfortunately sell it used) to a paying client.

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Good job man.

That's the way to do it. Keep it above board and if anything blows back, you're covered.

5. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 [OP] $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    Yeah it was pretty simple, I have no idea why I didn't think about it before. But when I called my buddy up and asked him if there was anything we could do. I was relieved when he told me as long as I have some paperwork stating that the equipment is mine and I have not received payment for the equipment I am taking out, that I could go in and remove it. I'm almost 100% positive my ex-client was home when we showed up. He probably was shitting himself when I pulled up with a sheriff and thought he could just act like he wasn't home haha.

6. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Probably was worried about the growing.

I take it the Sheriff doesn't worry much about growers as long as they don't booby-trap their plots?

7. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Glad to hear it went so smooth for you. Definitely got lucky there. Yeah you have used equipment but at least you got it back and can make the money back on a client that will pay.

Products Discussed in

To Top