1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clinking in speedometer area

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by iTzTruthJr, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    iTzTruthJr

iTzTruthJr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Hey guys, first post on this forum. Hopefully it wont be my last. Anyways, about a month ago my speedometer/odometer cable snapped. It got replaced, now I have a clinking and often my speed will rapidly increase from 45 mph to 60 then back to 45. I took it in to my mechanic and he says its the speedometer head. To fix it will cost 490, I just dropped 380 on the cable and repair. I feel like im getting my chain yanked. Any suggestions.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    To get in there is a pain, most of that will be labor I'd imagine...that's shitty man, if it were me I would just try to calibrate judging how fast I'm going and try to be conservative. Can't imagine spending that kind of money on an old truck myself, for a non-crucial repair.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    iTzTruthJr

iTzTruthJr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Well the thing is on my quote they gave me labor is 69 dollars, tax is 30 and the rest is the actual item itself. That's why I think they are just charging me like 150 bucks more or something. But yes I do gauge me speed and throw on cruise control. One thing I'm worried about is they say it could affect my speedometer cable and possibly ruin it.

To Top