1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clogged Catalytic Converter from a SuperCharger???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RacerP, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Oct 4, 2008 at 6:23 AM
    RacerP

RacerP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Hello Everyone, New member here...

I have a 2003 3.4L XCab, 4x4 with the factory SuperCharger installed, 113,000 miles...All of a sudden last week it wouldn't accelerate...and immediately drove to the nearest dealer...no check engine light, but the supercharger was making a horrible grinding noise. Idled fine, reved fine in neutral, but when in drive it would not accelerate and ran horribly.

After much diagnosis at the dealer, the tech decided the supercharger was bad and removed it and went back to stock...$700 in labor later the problem had not changed!

More diagnosis, the tech decided the catalytic converters were clogged from the supercharger and removed them. After a test drive the truck and it ran fine.

They say I need to replace both catalytic converters for another $2500 in parts and labor???

Couple of questions....

Can the supercharger really run rich and cause the the clog in both catalytic converters?

Are any of the aftermarket catalytic converters worth it? And not cause the check engine light to constantly be on?

I have found an OEM Bosal front for $716...an possibly run without the rear one?

What are your opinions? Thanks...

2. Oct 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo 4wd Longbed
    Not as many as the 98..
    Only OEM Toyota cats are that high. And that is rediculously high. Look around and find some high-flow cats, then bring it to an exhaust shop to be swapped. It should be a lot cheaper

3. Oct 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check ebay or performance products for some high flow magnaflow cats.

4. Oct 5, 2008 at 12:22 PM
    VeeRFour05

VeeRFour05 Active Member

Member:
    Either gut the cats and buy some O2 sims. Cats are not cheap due to the material they are made of (Platinum, Paladium, Rhodium)

Were you running really rich? Just having the SC on there won't clog the cats.

5. Oct 5, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    RacerP

RacerP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Thanks for the help...I have been looking into the DEC direct fit, bolt on, high flow cats...little more expensive than the MagnaFlows, but, at least the dealer can do the work and it can stay there if it doen't run right after the work.

I must have been running rich, but, I cannot imagine why? My gas mileage didn't really come off at all either?

Maybe the supercharger was starting to go bad all along? I understand the bearings go on those things...

Is there any way to rebuild those? Sure hate to lose all that money over a bad bearing.

6. Oct 5, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    VeeRFour05

VeeRFour05 Active Member

Member:
    Most dealers will not put on aftermarket parts, your's might but idk.

To Top