1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Close to Buying a New 2011 Taco (newbie)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnny C, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Johnny C

Johnny C [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone -I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2011 Taco. I am active on some car forums, but am pretty new to the Toyota world.

I currently have an 02 Ranger 4X4 Edge, but I want something with a little more room. I don't really need a full size truck, and I really like the double cab Tacomas. They do have a bit more usable cabin / real back seat when compared to my Ranger.

I have been doing a lot of searching on here and here is what I have decided so far:

Tacoma - obviously

4X4 - Live in Pittsburgh (snow) and occasionally go off road for hunting / fishing ect. (nothing extreme).

Double Cab - will most likely have kids in the next year or two, so a back seat is a plus. Also just tired of not having much room in the Ranger.

Short Bed - don't need to haul anything extreme, and also drive a good bit in the city. No need for a long bed to make parking difficult in tight spaces / garages.

Magnetic Gray Metallic - Just seems like a cool color, and I don't see many of them around.

Off Road or Sport Package? - Here is where I am hung up. I did the research so I know exactly what each package offers. I don't think I would really need the off road package, but it seems like the more equipped option. My wife is concerned that she won't like looking over the hood scoop on the Sport, but is also concerned that the OR will be a stiff riding bitch like my Ranger is. I will try to test drive one of each, but I figured I would see what you all think as well.

Future mods - I would most likely be replacing the ugly wheels on either package with black ones of some kind. I would also be replacing the hideous stock grill with something a little meaner looking. Also would consider an aftermarket exhaust (unless the dealer offers one that isn't overpriced garbage) and some step up bars.

Any thoughts on the sport ride quality vs. OR? My searching reveals that the Sport rides a little better on the highway, but its not clear if it is a MAJOR difference.

I guess I am leaning toward the OR unless the ride is just too rough.

Coming from a Ranger Edge, the ride has to be an improvement with either option!

Thanks for any help you all can provide!
    :)

2. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    The Off Road has a Locker, and A-trac.

3. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    toojayz

toojayz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DC MGM SB
    Hi and welcome to Tacoma world. The off road does not ride that stiff and comes with "progressive springs" that provide better spring rates when off roading. THe more they compress, the stiffer they get if I'm not mistaken. The Sport has regular springs. I've driven both and I didin't notice too much difference between the sport ride and the off road however, this was on pavement. I'm in the same boat as you and will be purchasing a taco next month. My advise is test drive both and make you're best decision. What rides best to me or even others may not ride best to you. Good luck

4. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    ...which he doesn't need - based on his description.

If you want TRD (e.g. for the better seats) I suggest sport meets your needs better.

5. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    toojayz

toojayz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DC MGM SB
    Yes, I forgot about the off road having a locking rear diff where it is not available in the sport so that may be something you may want if you will take it off roading

6. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    Largefarva

Largefarva Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    I have an '08 double cab TRD off road with everything stock and I don't think it's a rough ride at all. I haven't driven a sport before so I can't compare, but I'm sure there's people here that have and can let you know how the two compare.

7. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    x2, also the Seats.

8. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Johnny C

Johnny C [OP] Member

Member:
    Yes- I doubt I would ever really need the locker. It is a cool option though and is certainly more functional than the other options in the two packages.

I was not aware of any differences between the seats - Toyota's web site does not change the interior pictures at all when you switch between the Sport and OR packages.

I realize the ride quality question is subjective, so it is not easy to get a definite answer.

Thanks for the responses so far!

9. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    The ride isn't bad.... Test drive the Sport and OR, i personally prefer the stiffer ride.. That's me though, to each his own :D

10. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I would get the Off road version not the sport version. If i had to do all over again.

11. Apr 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    No, I meant the seats are different between the TRD packages vs. the SR5. They might have a different color between OffRoad and Sport, but structurally, from what I read on TW, TRD seats are the same between the two versions.

12. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    Johnny C

Johnny C [OP] Member

Member:
    OK cool, so they seats are the same.

I guess I will just get the OR package unless I drive it and it shakes my teeth out.

I am pumped - should get the loan this week.

Then I will begin researching induction and exhaust bolt ons...

13. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    SmilingMark

SmilingMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Color matched grill w/ grillcraft. BHLM and Morimoto Mini HID's Debadged.
    Question, if you're looking to do alot of bolt ons, what does the sport offer you that you want that base SR5 doesn't? I have the OR, but outside of the locker and A-TRAC, I'd go to the SR-5 and bolt on all the extras that I wanted. (5100's, add-a-leaf, etc...) The sport and OR packages are expensive add-on's if you don't want all that stuff.

14. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    The suspension is the same on both.

15. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Johnny C

Johnny C [OP] Member

Member:
    My understanding is that the OR package uses progressive coil springs up front, while the sport package uses a linear spring. Both use the same shocks. Also, the Sport has a bigger sway bar and the obvious larger wheels and streetish tires.

This tends to make the Sport ride a little better on the street.

16. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    For induction... just get the TRD supercharger in on the deal from the start...

Also, I know I'm going to catch a TONNNNN of heat for this, but are you sure you need the 4x4? With all the badass traction control systems these 09+ taco's come with standard they can handle the snow pretty well without it. Especially if you throw some decent snow rated tires on it and know how to drive... If your off-roading takes place on light trails... I really don't think you need the 4x4.

Full disclosure, I've got a 4x4. Used it a few times... Never felt like I actually needed it. Never been stuck and had to use it to get out. Would love to have a few extra grand right now though.

The main argument FOR the 4x4 will be, "Would you rather need it and not have it?" Also, if you plan on doing more serious off-roading, you should for sure get the 4x4.

17. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... I have a 4x2, TRD, OR and the ride is very smooooth ... :D

18. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    Johnny C

Johnny C [OP] Member

Member:
    I use the 4x4 on my ranger several times per year and would have got stuck without it, so yes I want four wheel peel.

Thanks for the suggestion though - its at least worth considering.

19. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    With the snow - 4x4 period.

As far as the sport and off-road, are their options your wants or needs.

you can figure out if you want to spend money on wants - hahaha.

for example i didn't want or need any of the trd package add-ons, so i got a SR5.

and i haven't been stuck once!!

20. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    So far, I have only needed to turn on the 4x4 to get up some ice roads -2x would not do it. An SR5 would be fine for my needs.

Products Discussed in

To Top