1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clunk on brake release; manic downshifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Climber, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Climber

Climber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5
    New to the forum. I have an '09 double cab 4x4 automatic with about 1000 miles. I mostly like it, but it has two quirks that are irritating and I'm wondering if they can be remedied:

1) when I release the brake from a full stop, especially if I have stopped briskly, I feel a clunk. Sometimes I feel the clunk instead when I first step on the gas. If I had to guess, I would say that either a brake shoe is slow to retract and then comes in abruptly, or that I'm feeling some kind of shifting of the axle/leaf spring assembly. I looked over the axle u-bolts and attachment areas, and see no sign of shifting. Have others noticed this?

2) When I go around corners around town, or go over speed bumps, the transmission downshifts by two gears. This is really annoying when I'm driving gently, causes the engine to rev up needlessly, and actually slows the truck down until the transmission figures out there's almost no load and upshifts again. My guess is that it's programmed this way for trailer towing (I have the trailer package), but I'm also considered that I might have an sensor that was acting up. Do others' trucks do this?

Thanks for any insight. I'm asking on the forum because my dealer has already impressed me with their willingness to say almost anything is normal....

2. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    silversavage

silversavage Active Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Crew Cab TRD
    I have an 09 4x4 Double Cab with the tow package and I don't experience this? The downshifting sounds odd as well as the abrupt clunking you get but they could all be tied into the transmission if you ask me. If you have warranty get it checked. Have you checked fluid level atleast? :confused:

EDIT:: I just read the bottum of your post, of course the claim things are normal but has they test drivin' it yet?

3. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    Try greasing the slip joint on the rear driveline as Toyota sends them out dry for some damn reason... this has been an ongoing issue from the 1st gens!

4. Jun 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    PropJet

PropJet Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    For those of us that aren't mechanics, can someone explain in detail, or post a picture of what it is exactly that is needing grease? And what type of grease do we use?

5. Jun 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Anyone? I have this problem, and would love to take care of it myself, if it is something the average person can accomplish.

6. Jun 22, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    the part that needs greasing in this case is the end of the drive shaft...the part that comes from the diff to the shaft....that part needs to be cleaned off and greased more periodically than the rest of the fittings.

7. Jul 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    Okay, I've read so many posts on this transmission clunk issue the last couple of days I can't keep them straight anymore. Some posts indicate the part that needs greased is permanently sealed, while other posts say it is not.

Since I'm taking my truck in to the dealer (for another issue) within the next week, I'm just going to see if they will take care of it. However, I'm no mechanic, and like I said, I've read so many posts lately that seem to contradict each other, I'm not sure what to tell them. What exactly should I tell them to do, so that they understand, and I don't look like an idiot not knowing what I'm talking about?

8. Jul 2, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    I don't want to walk in there, trying to act all knowledgeable, and tell them to lube the slip yoke / spline joint / slip joint (or whatever it's called), only to have them tell me it's a sealed unit and cannot be done.

What should I tell them?

Products Discussed in

To Top