1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Problems and questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Smardt Turbocor, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sep 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM
    Smardt Turbocor

Smardt Turbocor [OP] Older Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    Lexington South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 1/2 cab 4.6 Liter V-6 5 speed manual
    I have a 1996 Tacoma short cab with the 3.4L V-6 and five speed manual transmission. (230,000 miles) In 2015 I had the clutch replaced and properly redone at a private garage. However later on I have noticed the tendency of the clutch pedal not to fully return or come up. It forces you to pull the pedal back up. I am not a regular mechanic but I tinkered a little bit looking at the hinging or pivot points of the clutch pedal and did notice that at least one original factory bushing had worn out where it fits in the round hole in the metal welded to the car itself. I purchased a similar bushing from Lowes, brought it home and ground it down to the original dimensions. But I think I am missing something. The pedal is not right.

I am in contact with a good garage. But can you describe the problem and what is necessary to restore the clutch pedal to proper like new operation?

Thanks

Galen

2. Sep 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Not familiar with the setup, but if the clutch itself is working properly, I would look at the return spring and replace it with a stronger one.

3. Sep 17, 2016 at 2:06 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    they had that big Clunky spring that rode in bushing that wore out way to fast.

I removed that spring installed a 87 Toyota Brake return spring been working great for a few years .

If that is indeed your problem.

I have seen the firewall crack

bolts in the clutch pedal bracket vibrate loose

Products Discussed in

To Top