1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TeamRooR, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    TeamRooR

TeamRooR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hedgesville, WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    K&N intake, rust
    I have an 2003 4.3L trd tacoma 5 speed, bought it about 10k miles ago now has about 75k on it. Even when I test drove it I thought it had a hard clutch but lately it either seems to be getting worse or I am just getting tired of it.

It seems to catch all at once at the bottom end of letting the clutch out, I am an experienced manual driver so I know it is not my poor driving. It catches "hard" or all at once. I find it extremely difficult if in gravel to not spin the rear wheels. If I let me wife drive it (if) it is real herky jerky, shes a good stick driver as well but just not used to the truck like I am.

Any ideas?? this is my third taco, the other 2 were 4 cyl though, either way I have never had a vehicle drive like this.

2. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    So the clutch is engaging when the pedal is almost all the way out ? Or does it engage close to the floor ? Sounds like the slave releasing the throw out bearing is sticking, maybe try bleeding it (possible air locking?)

Any slippage or clutch chatter upon releasing ?......:confused:

Also I re read & is the pedal "hard" to depress ? If so sounds like your clutch assembly maybe ready to fail

& we know you meant 3.4 not 4.3......:D

3. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    TeamRooR

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hedgesville, WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    K&N intake, rust

Oh goodness, I did write 3.4, opps

It engages when it is almost all the way out, it is not hard to push just engages kind of hard or stiff, like it catches immediately. I have bleed the clutch master cylinder when I first bought it, it was filthy dirty and hard to get into gears sometimes. That improved when I did that. It is not as clean as i would like it to be but it's not terrible now. My current issue has always been there. I was going to replace the slave cylinder awhile ago as it is cheap, but the guy at advanced talked me out of it...

4. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Engages when almost all the way out huh? Then if theres clutch chatter or slippage involved then almost certainly your on your way to a clutch R&R, in any case it sounds fatigued & worn out when it releases at the end of the clutch pedal......good luck:D

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    TeamRooR

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hedgesville, WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    K&N intake, rust
    good grief... I have never needed to replace a clutch.

It catches just great, just all at once. Does it tend to be a pretty standard fix or do they typically find little odd parts that are worn out when they're in there? Does the pressure plate get replaced with that? I am completely dumb when it comes to anything transmission/clutch.

6. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe

Haha, no problem dude, & yeah the "standard fix" for a clutch job is new friction disc (clutch) new throw out bearing, new pressure plate & not always but some times resuracing the flywheel is done when visual inspect. reveals heat cracks , blue burns (burns on flywheel that have a bluish color to them which could indicate warping) as a matter of fact I've had the flywheel re surfaced 99.9% of the time just to make the new install truly complete, might as well it isn't expensive & since your right there anyway so if you DO have to replace all clutch components it'd be kinda dumb not to I guess, it'd be a bummer to replace everything but doing the flywheel, put back together just to find out its warped(flywheel)

OH YEAH ALSO replace pilot bushing if applicable !!

7. Jul 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    TeamRooR

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hedgesville, WV
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    K&N intake, rust
    thank you sir! Have great frickin friday!

8. Jul 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe

You too man, hope I didn't bum you out with the info I gave.....:D

To Top