1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ProtoJ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    I've got a V6, 6 speed Sport. When I push the clutch in an let it back out, there is a popping sound that seems to come for the clutch pedal assembly and it seems like there is a lot of side to side play in the clutch pedal. Its not a squeak, it is just a slight popping sound once I start to let pressure off. Is there a bolt I can tighten or any adjustments that I can try to make so that I can avoid leaving it at the dealer for a day. Besides, everytime time I take any car to the dealer, they can never seem to duplicate my problems.

2. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    Rocky Truck

Rocky Truck Proud Confederate

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 6-Speed TRD Offroad Package
    sounds like the clutch master cylinder
    i replace a lot of them on the honda\acuras for the popping noise.
    not necessarily a sign of failure but rather an annoyance...
    mine does it... i just ignore it.

and no, no amount of lube on the pushrod will fix it. it's behind the seal and internal of the clutch master...

3. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    XR-Ace

XR-Ace //TRD

Member:
    O.C. California
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB X-Runner aka "BLUE BEAST"
    Evo Mod// Eagle Eye Halo Projectors// Magnaflow Exhaust// Yellow Foggies// Trd Badge
    take it to the stealership and make them replace it..tell them it squeaks and pops..theres a tbs for that

4. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    fixed it

5. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD SPORT Acc.Cab Mag Grey 4x4 Auto
    Weathertech floor liners, stone and bug deflector, Putco Element In Channel Window Visors, Viper remote starter, Harley lighted hitch cover, Herculeze front mudflap, Metal Miller Harley Grill Emblem, SockMonkey design Bedside Decals and 3rd Brake light TRD decal, K&N Air Filter, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17 C load, Valor Exhaust tip, De-badged tailgate, Advantage Tonneau Cover, Tacoma bedmat, Bicycle Mount Rail mounts, Custom Ipod holder. Stock Suspension :( (winter wheels: 2014 16" stock steel wheels plastidipped black with general arctics 265/75/16)
    I just took mine in for 15,000 miles tune up and now my clutch has a little pop too. What did you do to fix it?
    Where is the TSB for it?

6. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    jaxchrisfla

jaxchrisfla Well-Known Member

Member:
    flooriduh
    lots
  7. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 Your mom goes to college

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Steal 6 Wheels, Cooper STT tires, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    I took mine in while it was still under warranty and they did the TSB on it. After a while, it started doing it again. I put some lube on the pushrod and it stopped squeaking for a while, but it still pops, mainly when it's almost at the very top. It doens't do anything, it's just freakin annoying.

8. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    The TSB is only for 05-06 models. Think the dealership will do it anyways?

9. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    jaxchrisfla

jaxchrisfla Well-Known Member

Member:
    flooriduh
    lots
    i believe it may have been updated, but you can alway take it in and complain. Maybe it will get you somewhere.

10. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 Your mom goes to college

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Steal 6 Wheels, Cooper STT tires, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    If it hasn't been updated, it depends on the dealer. Some will do it anyway because they know it's a problem. My friend has a '07 and they did his. Some dealerships are just dicks.

11. Jul 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM
    ROCKSLINGER

ROCKSLINGER Zombie Response Team

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DBL CAB 6 SPEED
    Fox Coilover with reservoir, Fox Remote Rear reservoir, Wheeler's 3 pack AAL, Grillcraft Grille color matched, Rampage 50" LED Light Bar, Relentless 1/4" IFS-Mid and Transfer case Skids, Relentless High Clearance Rear Bumper, Kenwood 1800 watt Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor, Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech Floor Mats, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Flowmaster Delta 40, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Short Shifter, CST Black Leather W/Red Stich, On Board Air, Train Horns,
    Mine was poping as well and it was just a broken return spring on the pedal. It finally fell out and pedal still works and returns fine. (Has been for 6 months) $20 from the dealership. Keep forgetting to go get it!

12. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    ProtoJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    I made an appointment at the dealership so I'll update everyone with what they decide to do. It sounds like they might just replace the whole clutch pedal assembly. I hate having people work on my truck, it seems like they always scratch or scuff something or in my case, steal me TRD valve stem caps and sunglasses! Unfortunately, I have not found a dealer in my area that I have been impressed with. I'm taking it to Burt Toyota in Littleton, Colorado for the first time. If anyone has had any experience with them, let me know.

The funny thing about having them work on my clutch is the last two times I went to the dealership for oil changes, they techs didn't know how to drive a stick. One guy couldnt figure out reverse so he just drove the truck forward off the end of the lift. I watched it smack the ground after the 1' drop off and then he attempted to turn the truck around inside the garage bay....which was designed for pulling in and backing out only! He nearly wrapped the truck around a column on the way out. I'm not sure if this is before or after he stole my valve stem caps. Thats why I'm now trying a different dealership!

13. Jul 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    ProtoJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I took it too the dealership and they would not replace the clutch pedal assembly because it allready had the newer one that the TSB would have replaced it with. They just lubed the clutch master cylinder and the probelm is solved for now. Now if I could just get my seat back to where I had it!!!!!!

To Top