1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Shot @ 22,000 Miles??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BPachom, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    It has to be a bad clutch disk or pressure plate, my clutch has 225k on it and is fine.

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    Papa Tac

Papa Tac Adjunct Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Tac
    Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Ned Ludd Edition
    Pupped my ride - Dog bench, Black stock rims, Tail Gate antitheft mod, Bed storage and sleeping platform, Action Cap w/Yakima rack and Rola basket, Seatbelt chime off, Tentasaurus
    Same clutch problem here with '10 4 cyl 4X4 Access cab base. 20,000km (12,000m). will be calling dealer tomorrow. will let you all know results. Xing fingers for rear leaf TSB also.

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    Fyreslayer

Fyreslayer Member

Member:
    New Victoria, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 6Cyl 4X4.
    I have a 2009 4x4 4cyl access cab with 57,000 kilometers I first noticed my clutch slipping at 25,000K, i took it back to the dealer and they replaced the clutch and pressure plate, at that time they told me it must have been a bad clutch, it's back in the shop today with the same problem at 57,000K and they tell me that the fingers on the pressure plate are bent, so they are replacing the clutch and pressure plate again...under warranty!
    I'm worried, what happens when i have no warranty, a clutch a year?...
    I've been driving a 4 speed since i started driving 35 years ago... my 94 toyoya 4x4 had 300,000k on it when i sold it and i never had to replace the clutch.
    There's obviously a flaw here.:mad:

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    BPachom

BPachom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.
    Glad that you are having success with the dealer and having the clutch replaced under warranty.
    Feel bad that it's happened again! Kinda makes me feel better knowing that I have a 100K mile warranty.

I have to bring my truck back to the dealer as the clutch is still slipping :(

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 2:34 AM
    CubanTaco

CubanTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Scotts Plains of the West Fields in Elizabethtown
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 4X4 5sp
    No doubt in my mind!! Dealer told me the throw out berring was warped. I don't believe it.

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Fyreslayer

Fyreslayer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 6Cyl 4X4.
    I called my service Dept. today and asked since they had my truck apart waiting for the replacement clutch and pressure plate, would they consider up grading to a towing or high performance clutch, i explained that i had been looking on the forums and was worried about early clutch failure again. The service guy told me that they couldn't do this because of warranty restrictions, but he told me that when he ordered my parts from Toyota, the part number had changed, he said he interprets this as an upgrade, hopefully he's right!

I just wanted to let you know there is a ray of hope.:)
    I'll keep you posted

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR

yup thats me

took 3 months of fighting with toyota to get them to fix it.... and then another 6 weeks for the parts to come in :rolleyes:.... and 3 trips back to the dealer before it was "right"..... after the second trip they forgot to tighten up the bolts the hold the carrier bearing to the truck and it dropped on the highway and twisted into a pretzel.... should have seen the service managers face when that came back LOL

now my throwout bearing is squealing like crazy and they tell me its normal operating procedure.....

try and get them to do the TO bearing TSB while they do the clutch.... dont let off of them its under warranty and they NEED to fix it. they can claim its a wear item all they want, but the disc itself is the only part that wears. the pressure plate which is what has been failing is covered under the power train warranty

from what i was told from toyota corporate they switched clutch manufactures for 09 and a lot of them seem to be having problems, its not just you.

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    BPachom

BPachom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.

White 91,

Thank you for your information and support... Would like to get the truck back into the dealer ASAP but unfortunately may have to wait till Monday. :(

Should they give me a hard time again, I will have to print out all of the "clutch problem" posts off this site to support the issue.

Thanks again.

9. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR

no problem

i had tried that when i tried to get the suspension tsb and the dealers could care less about internet forums, but it never hurts to try.

10. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    Anderson.mike1623

Anderson.mike1623 Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner V6 SR5
    OEM CAMBURG COILS, UPGRADED DEAVERS AND BACK BILSTEINS 33 in Nitto Trail Grapplers, Flowmaster down turn exhaust, Leer Tonneau cover, Halo Projectors HIDS 5k heads 3k fogs, Front LIght bar NFAB, Tint, Custom sub box with 10 inch Jl Audio shallow sub.
    i have a 2010 6 gear and it is by far the best thing i have ever driven

11. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    This has come up in a few threads. I didn't read all 70 posts.

Did anyone ever mention checking the clutch cylinder or arm for debris or jamming?
    The push rod can be jammed just like a brake can be. rust, manufacturing debris, rust, or just a faulty design rearing its head. It could explain just about everything here, and not be terribly apparent when disassembled. My truck is in the shop or I'd go try to figure out if this is possible, or easily checkable.

I had a jammed clutch piston once. Wouldn't retract all the way. Left a bit of pressure on the clutch fork, wore the bearing and slipped the clutch. Took it all apart, replaced clutch plate machined flywheel, same thing happened again in like 3 months. Then I noticed it, obviously no clutch goes bad in less than a few years.. not 2 anyway.

It would also explain some of the throw out bearing failures people are having.

It also explains bent pressure plate fingers. each time it sticks out, you're extending it more with a subsequent press.

I'd have to check the clutch fork and throwout design before I put up my next theory.

12. Mar 2, 2011 at 2:37 AM
    CubanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 4X4 5sp
    Post up any part numbers you have.

13. Mar 4, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    Fyreslayer

Fyreslayer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD 6Cyl 4X4.
    Hi All;
    I'm just looking at my slip,
    Here are the part numbers that they installed on my truck under Warranty

31210-04083...........COVER.CLUTCH
    31250-04091...........DISC.CLUTCH

14. Mar 4, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    nhtundra

nhtundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dcab Sport Barcelona Red
    Brought my truck in yesterday to have dealer confirm the clutch slip. Initially, I could best get it to slip in 4th. Now it slips in every gear thanks to the tech beating on it. Waiting for Toyota Corporate to get back to me to see if they will cover any of the cost. I'm out of warranty at 44k miles. Hope to hear today or early next week. Will update when I hear.

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    CubanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 4X4 5sp
    Those part numbers are different.

16. Mar 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    nhtundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Update on my clutch problem. Toyota Corporate would not cover anything. The kicked it back to the dealer and regional rep. Customer Relations rep at the dealer got me a 15% discount. Original quote was $1112 if no flywheel was needed and $1545 if it was. With the discount, comes down to $945 and $1313. The dealer went the extra mile, but Toyota didn't. I responded to Toyota this morning and told them I wasn't pleased. Gotta get it fixed so it goes to the dealer for a new clutch, pressure plate and bearing on the 28th. Once you get past 36K, your'e on your own. I have 44K. Gotta give credit to the dealer, Rockingham Toyota in Salem, NH, for stepping up.

17. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Shame, you would think it would be covered under the power train warranty. Clutches shouldn't be going that often.

Since you gotta pay anyway, looking at going with an aftermarket option?

18. Mar 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    nhtundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    No, still going with OEM. Still trying to goat Toyota Corporate into funding some/all of the parts.

19. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    nhtundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    My truck went in yesterday. They replaced the disk, pressure plate, bearings and to my dismay, the flywheel. Told me the flywheel had a "hot spot" on it. I think they had the parts and wanted to use them. Total damage $1316.
    Toyota never responded to my second request for support. Driven 100's of thousands of miles in Toyota pickups and this is the first clutch.
    Oh well, live and learn.

20. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    Thanks for the update - good to know what might be in store (hopefully NOT).

I remember with fondness, that era when automatics were a rarity in small trucks and clutches were built so you could use them. :mad:

If mine goes prematurely and I'm not covered, I'm going to move heaven and earth to avoid paying Toyota twice for the same shitty parts.

Products Discussed in

To Top