1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clutch smoking?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Frankiea87, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    Frankiea87

Frankiea87 [OP] Member

Member:
    nerf bars, 15% window tint. TRD shift knob.
    hey guys.. i have a 2010 tacoma sport with 5k miles on it... ive towed my 21' boat and never had any issues untill today..untill i pulled it out of the water. as i was getting into first gear while revving.. smoke started to come out from under the truck. im assuming burnt up the clutch? or also i dont know if emergency brake was still on a little. so when i got home i let it cool off and took it for a ride. it smells like brakes burning.

also.. kind of off topic but related to clutch.. clutch always caught very high ever since i got the truck.. my old cars the clutch would catch around middle of peddle. is there a way to adjust this?

2. Apr 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Perhaps your clutch is not fully engaging and the plates are slipping while on the road causing it to heat up from the friction. I'm pretty sure the clutch is a hydraulic system so you might want to get that checked out. I don't know if there is a fluid resivoir or not. I used to burn the shit out of my old ranger clutch hauling heavy loads too big for the truck and it would stink real bad. But as soon as I stopped the clutch would return to normal.

3. Apr 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    be careful, definantly let it cool down. could have glazed the clutch but on such a new truck i doubt it.

4. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    The clutch uses the brake master cylinder as a fluid reservoir. There is a line that goes into the cab that feeds the clutch master cylinder, which in turn sends the hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder that pushes the clutch fork. I personally think he over heated the disc when pulling the boat out, but I could be wrong. There very well could be a mechanical or hydraulic problem with the clutch.

5. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    snatchley

snatchley Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe/Santa Cruz CA
    Vehicle:
    V6 6 speed TRD Off Road 4x4
    ARE CX series shell w/ Yakima Bars
    This happened to me once as well, only during slightly different conditions. I was climbing a fairly steep rocky trail, and I got to a spot that required 4 low. Switched it over to 4 low but it didn't quite engage. I gave it a go thinking that it was in and the truck tried, but all that happened was a rather large cloud of white smoke came from out the bottom of the truck. :eek: I immediately stopped. Checked everything out and made sure it went in the next time and was on my way.

Long story short, everything still works perfectly. You're probably just fine...

6. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I tried to pull a (very) small tree out with my truck and smoked the clutch a little. I am already planning on installing a lighter flywheel and super-strong competition clutch fairly soon. My clutch is still working OK though.

7. Apr 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    my gf burned my clutch just after i bought the truck.. i tried to teach her to drive a stick. she was doing ok. then she decided to red line it and drop the clutch. truck smelled funny for a couple of days after that. it was also her last attempt at driving it.

To Top