1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clutch squeek and other wierd sounds

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hunterqw, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM
    hunterqw

hunterqw [OP] Member

Member:
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 4x4
    32 mudteranes
    I just bought my first Tacoma And drove it across a pass and then back. I have a couple of questions regarding what I noticed on my first drive. There Is a slight squeak in the clutch. It goes away if I rest my foot on the clutch I was wondering if any one knows what is going on with it. Also There is a ding coming from the speakers it is one ding every like ten minuets. The same pitch as the ding when you leave the keys in your truck when you open the door. I think it might have something to do with the air bag but it just kinda freakes me out that it might be something serious. Do let me know if you know what is going on. tanks.

Ryan

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The clutch squeeks while driving?

Most likely, that's the throw-out bearing. Do some research here and on google to find out more about it.

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    is it the pedal or the actual clutch?

I had a pedal squeak; it was awful. So i threw some WD40 and T9 on there on 3 different occasions about 2 weeks apart and now it hasnt come back since March.

I also have a slight noise coming from under the truck when i hit the clutch.Im not worried about it though. It seems to be fine and i dont feel like figuring out how to fix it.

4. Jul 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There are two different types of squeeks. Clutch pedal squeek & actual clutch squeek(throw-out bearing).

If it squeeks when you press & release the clutch pedal, it's the pedal bushings. Easy fix.... I changed my bushing out like 3x in 5 years.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/ClutchPedal/ClutchBushing.htm

The other squeek occurs when the truck is sitting still.....kinda like an annoying constant squeek. It'll go away when you press the clutch in.
    That's the throw-out bearing squeek.

5. Jul 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    T9 worked fine for me. If it comes back with a vengence than i will replace those bushings. Its fine now though.

I do not have the other one you describe though i think.

6. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    hunterqw

hunterqw [OP] Member

Member:
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 4x4
    32 mudteranes
    Yeah it is probably the trow out bearing because it happens when i am driving and the clutch pedal isn't pressed down. The sound goes away if I just rest my foot on it so is it something that, that I could just adjust out.

how much would it be to replace a trow out bearing.

7. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Concerning the bushing thing.

You actually don't need that spring. It just makes it a *tad* bit easier to push the clutch in.

My truck doesn't have that stupid POS squeaky spring. Took it out and replaced with a different type of spring...but like I said, no spring actually has to be there.

Heres the write up that I followed to switch out the spring.

http://homepage.mac.com/danny/clutch.html

Note: Theres a link on there to a 7 page thread on yotatech discussing this.

I used a #70 spring. Found at Ace Hardware for $2.50

Of course, now that the really obvious squeak is gone, now I hear quieter ones that were masked by the old spring :embarrased:

Hunter, my throw out bearing is squealing too. But, to change it you have to drop the tranny. I know it's annoying, but if you can, just wait until you need a new clutch and replace both the clutch and throw out bearing at the same time. Of course if your clutch has already been replaced, idk what to tell ya.

8. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:25 PM
    hunterqw

hunterqw [OP] Member

Member:
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 4x4
    32 mudteranes
    It won't mess up anything though to drive it like it is though? I don't know the condition of my clutch or when it has been replaced. Maybe I can get new speakers to mask the sound or something.

thanks for the help

9. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    saltbranch

saltbranch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4,2wd,5spd, stock, 250k
    As long as your clutch is not slipping, I would just run it as is. Its just annoying more than anything else. I never had a yota do it, but plenty of Fords and Dodges. They really did not squeal, more of light roaring noise. Noise would go away with light clutch pedal pressure.Ran those trucks till clutch started to slip before going in after a throw out bearing. In my experience, it does not hurt anything. If it bothers ya that much, I'd start buying the clutch, pressure plate, T bearing, pilot bearing ,clutch alignment tool etc. Plan a weekend and do it, if your a DIY person.
    Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top