1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Staying Fully Depressed

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BoostingMS6, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sep 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    BoostingMS6

BoostingMS6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6
    I was on the freeway yesterday during semi-rush hour, in the left lane. Depress the clutch pedal to shift, and to my surprise it doesn't come back up. Pulled off into the left shoulder to take a look at it.

My fluid levels were fine; no previous signs of clutch slip; been driving standard for 8 years and never burned through a clutch; clutch was replaced not too long ago with previous owner (<20k miles) with paperwork; ~200k total miles; pumped pedal with hand to see if I could bleed any air out of the system but no change.

My question is this: my tow truck driver said I was the 3rd first gen Tacoma he towed that day all with the same clutch issue. Is there something common that goes out that I should look for? Also, if I absolutely have to replace the clutch (doubt it), any aftermarket suggestions y'all can make?

Work permitting, I'll get it torn apart this weekend. Its not my DD so there's no major rush. Thanks.

2. Nov 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    I know this is a kind-of an old thread...and I can't believe no one answered. But it sounds like a bad clutch slave cylinder.

Good luck, but I hope you got it figured out by now!

3. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    BoostingMS6

BoostingMS6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6
    I mainly wanted to see if there was anything KNOWN to commonly fail on 1st gens. Tried the slave cylinder first, but it ended up being the master cylinder. Thanks anyway.

4. Nov 4, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    glad you got it figured out, my clutch pedal sticks to the floor once in a blue moon. Clutch fluid has never been flushed, will do that then if it gets worse..will do slave cylinder.

Products Discussed in

To Top